O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

Guys, I realize there is a thread for this so maybe it will be combined but The Fan 105.7 is reporting that the O's have offered Tex a 9 year 20 mil per contract. Apparently the Nats have countered that offer with a 10 year 20 mil per offer and the Angels are saying they can't afford that type of offer.

If we lose Tex to the Nats I am going to puke!!!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, I realize there is a thread for this so maybe it will be combined but The Fan 105.7 is reporting that the O's have offered Tex a 9 year 20 mil per contract. Apparently the Nats have countered that offer with a 10 year 20 mil per offer and the Angels are saying they can't afford that type of offer.

I'm speechless.

I don't know what to say, I really did not think we would offer him 20 million a year, I guess I was wrong.

I am going to puke if we spend that much money for that many years on any player. Please let the Nats beat us in the race to shoot ourselves in the foot! :pray:

I am pretty sure at this point everyone is taking from that same LA Times report. According to our insiders the O's really plan to make that offer, however, did the Nats really make the 10-year offer? I guess only time will tell! Even if the Nats did make that offer, I really hope Tex ends up choosing his hometown team!

If that offer is true, I am at least glad we made a legit shot at getting him. I know it goes against what alot of people here believe, but I think it would be an epic failure to not get the position player we have needed and wanted for years. Go get him Pete!!!!!

And I agree that there is no chance Pete loses this race to the Nats. Angels or Red Sox, sure, but no chance to the Nats.

That's pretty much exactly what the LA Times said...I don't think we should get too high or low about this...It is unclear if it has been offered or if they are speculating what the teams are willing to offer.

Not true. It's very clear. The LA Times Blog states:

"According to a source from a team that is involved in negotiations, the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles "are coming in hot" on Teixeira, with the Nationals said to be willing to offer the slugger a 10-year deal for more than $20 million a year and the Orioles possibly willing to go nine years for at least $20 million a year. The source was not authorized to speak on the record about the situation and required anonymity."

"Willing" and "possibly willing" does not mean we have offered. I wonder if the LA Times Blog reported "the Orioles are out of the Teixeira bidding" if so many people would be "willing" to take it as fact and not speculation?

I'm no JTrea, but I have to believe that one year is not enough to pull Tex away from Baltimore and towards Washington.

Maybe it's the homer in me, but I've always believed that if he comes here it'd be about more than being close to family and money... he grew up an O's fan, he says he always checks the scoreboards during games to see how we're doing, and I have to imagine that when he was a kid dreaming of the bigs, he saw himself playing in an O's jersey.

It IS worth something.

Archived