O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

Sure the money always talks but if the Sox are any where near the other bids you can bet he will be wearing a Boston uni next year.

He's going to wear the uniform of the highest bidder. If that happens to be Boston, he'll be a Red Sox. If it's Baltimore, he'll be an Oriole. If it's Washington, he'll be a Nat. That has been telegraphed from the day he hired Scott Boras many years ago.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's going to wear the uniform of the highest bidder. If that happens to be Boston, he'll be a Red Sox. If it's Baltimore, he'll be an Oriole. If it's Washington, he'll be a Nat. That has been telegraphed from the day he hired Scott Boras many years ago.

I dont believe that for a second, no way he turns down playing for a championship type team for a couple more million a year. We will have to blow away the Sox bid to have a chance.

I dont believe that for a second, no way he turns down playing for a championship type team for a couple more million a year. We will have to blow away the Sox bid to have a chance.
I disagree with this completely. If the Sox offer 8/$160M and the O's or Nats offer 8/$196M, he's going to a Beltway team.

I disagree with this completely. If the Sox offer 8/$160M and the O's or Nats offer 8/$196M, he's going to a Beltway team.

Obviously Tex has to ask himself how much more money he will take to play for a couple of lousy teams and yes 36M is my definition of blowing away the other offers.

Obviously Tex has to ask himself how much more money he will take to play for a couple of lousy teams and yes 36M is my definition of blowing away the other offers.
Oops, I meant $176M. If the Nats or O's beat the Red Sox by $2M+ per year, and/or offer an extra year, there is no chane he goes to the Sox. He's the most Boras-ey of all Boras clients ever. He'll go where the money is.

Oops, I meant $176M. If the Nats or O's beat the Red Sox by $2M+ per year, and/or offer an extra year, there is no chane he goes to the Sox. He's the most Boras-ey of all Boras clients ever. He'll go where the money is.

Theres gotta be something more like an extra year or NTC cause i doubt 2M more a year would get him here. And yes Boras has a god complex but its still up to his client where he wants to play.

Theres gotta be something more like an extra year or NTC cause i doubt 2M more a year would get him here. And yes Boras has a god complex but its still up to his client where he wants to play.
Its up to the clients, but its been reported that Tex has more faith in Boras than any other one of his clients.

I truly think that Tex gave Boras a short list of places he would play and that was it. After that, everything comes down to Boras getting the best deal from one of those places.

Yeah, said that on the bottomline, also said the Nats had offered 8/160.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3761291

Hasn't MacPhail already confirmed that the Orioles have offered 8 years?

I believe either Roch or Schmuck said that MacPhail confirmed they made a 7-year offer last night that throughout the day today dealing with Boras was extended to an 8-year deal and that the deal can be "further massaged".

From Roch:

The Orioles made an offer for first baseman Mark Teixeira last night that may have jumped from seven to eight years during the back-and-forth with agent Scott Boras. And it probably isn't their final offer.

So its not definite that we've gone to 8 years, but we "may" have.

Unless winning isn't a priority, you gotta spend money at some point. The key is to try and spend it wisely. I think this will be money well spent.

For the first half maybe. What about the last half of the contract. It's not going to look like money well spent if we're paying a declining slugger 20 million when he's 35-39 years old and lost his bat speed.

If they do this, I really hope they heavily front load this contract.

That's typical Oriole buisness. 1 team offers a contract and the O's come in and offer less, expecting him to take less money to come here. What a joke.

He aint coming here.

7 years $150M is almost $1.5M more per year than 8 years $160M.

I think the offers are pretty darn close.

-Derek

Archived