O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a post I made in the longer thread, although its buried about 20 pages deep now. Basically, I think Tex would be a very good investment for 8 years. If you can be smart and over those 8 years come up with a way to basically pay off those last year or two (9 or 10) then the contract can be manageable. But most of the players who were similar to Tex went on to have a very productive remainder of their career, and played on average another 8 seasons, with some playing as many as 14 more years, and some playing as few as 5 or 6.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1546172&postcount=864

I assume that with an offer like this comes a willingness to expand the payroll. The only way an O's fan could possibly be upset about this is if they aren't willing to ALSO spend money in other areas.

You cannot look at this offer as potentially crippling unless you know that they have to keep the total payroll where it has been the past couple of years. I have to believe it will rise and that we can afford Tex.

We should all be happy about this if we are able to sign him. You can complain later if they fail to compliment this move with others (especially if the excuse is they can't afford things).

I assume that with an offer like this comes a willingness to expand the payroll. The only way an O's fan could possibly be upset about this is if they aren't willing to ALSO spend money in other areas.

You cannot look at this offer as potentially crippling unless you know that they have to keep the total payroll where it has been the past couple of years. I have to believe it will rise and that we can afford Tex.

We should all be happy about this if we are able to sign him. You can complain later if they fail to compliment this move with others (especially if the excuse is they can't afford things).

What the Orioles are willing/able to take the payroll to is key. Teix at $20m for any number of years makes zero sense if the Orioles are going to keep the payroll at <80m. $20m year will not hurt too much in the short run if the O's are willing to have $100m+ payrolls going forward. Even a 9 or 10 year contract as bad as it may be at the end could be palatable if it's part of a $125-150m payroll.

What the Orioles are willing/able to take the payroll to is key. Teix at $20m for any number of years makes zero sense if the Orioles are going to keep the payroll at <80m. $20m year will not hurt too much in the short run if the O's are willing to have $100m+ payrolls going forward. Even a 9 or 10 year contract as bad as it may be at the end could be palatable if it's part of a $125-150m payroll.

Exactly. AND I will assume (unlike some other posters) that AM is smart enough to know how to fit a huge salary like that into his budget. If it doesn't fit because his budget won't allow it then he would give it out. Them being willing to give that money to Tex, to me, implies an inherent willingness to expand payroll. Therefore it is a Double victory in the news front for O's fans. Great player and higher payroll for compliments!

You know, that is a TON of money, but IMO the smartest money spent is on hitters at a place of need. Tex is young, durable, proven, great defensively, and great offensively...not to mention he has always loved the Os. This is the time to make an exception. I would much rather put the money here and make a statement then blow it on Burnett who is oft injured and is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. The time is now and he will NOT go to the Nats. I wish they would just go away. They are living up to their nickname...

I liked it when Ravech asked him what he wanted for Manny in terms of years and dollars and Boras just said (paraphrased), "You know Karl, those are things I talk to the teams about. I don't like to get into them on here". And I proceeded to cough "bull****".;)

The key words were "wiling to go." According to Peter Schmuck, they aren't there yet.

But an latimes.com report that the Orioles are "apparently willing" to offer nine years for $180 million has been met with incredulity from O's officials. Maybe they will get to that point, but I'm hearing they aren't close to that yet.

We're guessing that they are closer to seven years at about $20 million per year, though that doesn't figure to get it done.

Source - Peter Schmuck

I'm curious to see if Boras insists on a deal where Teixeira can 'opt out' of the contract in say 3 years. An 'opt out' clause would be a major concession for the O's since they would lose certainty, while still being on the hook if he underperforms or gets injured. However, it would allow him to file for free agency again if the market is favorable and/or the team is not winning. Beyond the length of contract and $$, this could be a key to reaching an agreement.

Archived