O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In 5 or 6 years that contract will look like a deal. The economy won't be like this forever.

Not if Teixeira has declined to a league average or below first baseman by his mid thirties. Like it or not, this is a legitimate concern.

I don't think anyone can deny that this is a big risk.

If the numbers are accurate, hopefully some team will bail the O's out from making a huge mistake... An argument can be made that he'll be worth $20m a year. An compelling argument cannot be made that 9 or 10 years of that makes sense for the Orioles.

Maybe the Federal Government could bail us out...:wedge:

Sorry I had to.

If the numbers are accurate, hopefully some team will bail the O's out from making a huge mistake... An argument can be made that he'll be worth $20m a year. An compelling argument cannot be made that 9 or 10 years of that makes sense for the Orioles.

That's a good point. I think Teixeira is every bit worth the $20m/yr rate. However, the length is really the main issue.

Just remember, 10 years ago, a really high per year rate was $13m. Today, teams would love to grab top notch players at such a deal.

10 years down the road, the same scenario could present itself, where $20m is considered a great deal for great player (obviously this hinges on the direction of the economy).

So, Teixeira is worth every dollar of it. But is he worth it for 9yr+ length? I think that's the gamble any team has to take in order to reel him in. Everyone knew he would be getting the 20m+/yr rate, it's just a matter if you feel he'll still be playing in 9 years, and if he'll be performing at a rate of what a normal $20m player performs at during those times.

So, will his declined value in 6 or 7 years from now, be helping or hurting a team in potential playoff contention? Is there an opportunity cost of having to play Teixeira over another player down the road? I'm going to go out on a limb and says he's worth the risk. He's the only player right now I would consider giving a 'boneheaded' type contract to.

Lets wait and see how the contract is constructed before we start to criticize it.

I don't think we will make it so the organization is handicapped for the future because of one contract.

If it is front loaded with an opt out clause and what not , (like I think it will) then we are complaining about nothing.

Of course he has to agree to a contract first. :D

In 5 or 6 years that contract will look like a deal. The economy won't be like this forever.

Not a chance. A decade from now, maybe $20m+ will look reasonable for an elite player. You have to completly ignore the natural market cycles to assume it would look like a deal by that point.

Not if Teixeira has declined to a league average or below first baseman by his mid thirties. Like it or not, this is a legitimate concern.

I don't think anyone can deny that this is a big risk.

I don't think it's a big risk. It has some risk but Teixeira has been very consistent and isn't a wide body like some guys. I think it's a logical move based on Franchise needs and timing of the opportunity.

Archived