What is Elias' plan to contend and what should it be?

LookinUp

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure..and maybe in that time frame, Mullins gets hurt or isn’t nearly as good and carries less trade value.  

There are so many things that can go wrong.  And yea, things could go right too and his trade value could go up or stay the same.

We don’t know what is out there for him, so that obviously matters but if they have good trades on the table for him and are holding off to “get a clearer picture”, that’s just stupid.

I agree with not trading Hays because I don’t think he fetches much, or at least enough to trade him.  But if he does, he should be dealt too.  I mean, I really like Hays and always been a fan but his injury history means if you get a good offer for him, you move him.

To be clear, I’d like to know what we could get for Mullins, and would trade him for the right return.   I’m just interpreting what Connolly is reporting, not necessarily agreeing with it.   

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

When did he say that?  Not really questioning you, I'm sure you're correct, I'm just not sure exactly what he said.

As far as I can tell this team has not signed a multi-year free agent deal since at least 2018.  Maybe I've overlooked someone but that's a pretty amazing feat.

Didn't they sign someone to a two year deal only to trade them?  Or am I thinking about Iglesias and his option?

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

When did he say that?  Not really questioning you, I'm sure you're correct, I'm just not sure exactly what he said.

As far as I can tell this team has not signed a multi-year free agent deal since at least 2018.  Maybe I've overlooked someone but that's a pretty amazing feat.

He has said multiple times when asked.  Has said that when the time comes, ownership has assured him that he can spend money.

Of course, we don’t know what that means.  Are they just going to give him a budget and let him do whatever he wants within that budget?  Is he limited on the level of contract he is able to hand out?  Who knows.

What we know is how this team has always operated.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, I’d like to know what we could get for Mullins, and would trade him for the right return.   I’m just interpreting what Connolly is reporting, not necessarily agreeing with it.   

It’s actually a Rosenthal blurb in his article.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't they sign someone to a two year deal only to trade them?  Or am I thinking about Iglesias and his option?

Yeah, I think Iglesias had the option.

Like I said, I don't follow the MLB transactions as closely as others, but as far as I can tell the last multi-year deal we gave was to Cashner in 2018.

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I think Iglesias had the option.

Like I said, I don't follow the MLB transactions as closely as others, but as far as I can tell the last multi-year deal we gave was to Cashner in 2018.

Club option. Was picked up and then dealt a month later. 

Its following the Houston model which is stupid.

It isn't the same MLB from a rules stand point, it isn't the same market conditions, and it isn't the same AL west.

IMO Elias should be more aggressive than Houston was, has to be to compete with a peaking blue jays team and three teams in NY, BOS, and Tam who really don't have down years.

The FA market was flush with SS talent, a position of need, this year in a way we won't see in the future.  Supply and demand side economics dictated a more aggressive approach.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It isn't the same MLB from a rules stand point, it isn't the same market conditions, and it isn't the same AL west.

IMO Elias should be more aggressive than Houston was, has to be to compete with a peaking blue jays team and three teams in NY, BOS, and Tam who really don't have down years.

The FA market was flush with SS talent, a position of need, this year in a way we won't see in the future.  Supply and demand side economics dictated a more aggressive approach.

I don’t think people are remotely looking at the future of what is going to be available in free agency.  

We obviously don’t know what is available in terms of players that could be traded but still, there isn’t much available long term.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Elias can’t sign players if ownership isn’t committed to doing so. Plus he isn’t going to throw ownership under the bus. Clearly he wanted to tear it down but we have no idea what he would really like to do in FA. 

Reminds me a little of people being upset at Duquette over the lack of International spending. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, please stop tell me what I’m assuming because you have no clue.  

Secondly, this has nothing to do with Correa, so again, stop.  

Just try reading.

Lok, ok dude.

Fine, nothing to do with Correa, can be any player that you view as an upgrade over what we have.  Just not a quad A type.  

You know they're not going to sign anyone good, right?  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lok, ok dude.

Fine, nothing to do with Correa, can be any player that you view as an upgrade over what we have.  Just not a quad A type.  

You know they're not going to sign anyone good, right?  

You realize that’s the point, right?  

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Elias can’t sign players if ownership isn’t committed to doing so. Plus he isn’t going to throw ownership under the bus. Clearly he wanted to tear it down but we have no idea what he would really like to do in FA. 

Reminds me a little of people being upset at Duquette over the lack of International spending. 

He can make trades though.