MASN refuses to pay for travel costs

NelsonCruuuuuz

The Post also had a commentary piece by Barry Svrluga today.   I liked this take:

Todd Webster, a MASN spokesperson, issued a statement to my colleague Ben Strauss that said: “The global pandemic required all of us to learn new lessons in innovation, resourcefulness, and resilience. MASN is carrying forward some of those lessons.”

How noble. Phrased differently: “We’re willing to save some cash at the expense of the quality of the broadcast. Sorry, viewers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/24/masn-nationals-owners/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a link to the Post article Going Underground is referencing:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/23/masn-broadcasters-remote/

It’s a good piece.   Mentions that the cost of producing a road game pre-pandemic was about $50,000 per game. 

“How much it actually saves networks is unclear. Some production workers said cloud production offered significant savings for networks. But Ed Desser, a longtime sports media consultant who has worked closely with regional sports networks and teams, said a network still has to pay most of the people on a telecast to do their jobs. The average cost of production for one game in the pre-coronavirus world was around $50,000, Desser said.”

Most road productions are being done now with freelance camerman,etc 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Post also had a commentary piece by Barry Svrluga today.   I liked this take:

Todd Webster, a MASN spokesperson, issued a statement to my colleague Ben Strauss that said: “The global pandemic required all of us to learn new lessons in innovation, resourcefulness, and resilience. MASN is carrying forward some of those lessons.”

How noble. Phrased differently: “We’re willing to save some cash at the expense of the quality of the broadcast. Sorry, viewers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/24/masn-nationals-owners/

I dont know the reasons.all I know is that Jim Palmer lives 15 minutes from Anaheim Stadium, but had to fly cross country to Baltimore so that he could be a broadcast analyst on the Orioles Angels game...FROM CAMDEN YARDS even though the game is played in Anaheim. How RIDICULOUS is that?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont know the reasons.all I know is that Jim Palmer lives 15 minutes from Anaheim Stadium, but had to fly cross country to Baltimore so that he could be a broadcast analyst on the Orioles Angels game...FROM CAMDEN YARDS even though the game is played in Anaheim. How RIDICULOUS is that?

Wow that’s crazy!!

Is any amount of shame going to prompt them to do anything differently?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I know MASN is being cheap …but i5 would be nice for them to televise a minor league affiliate game on an off night instead of poker, golf, etc.

Are they even allowed to do that?   In any event, there are no minor league games on Mondays, so there’s nothing to broadcast tonight.