AJ to New York done deal according to ESPN

bluedog

I know there is another thread for this, but this is a big enough piece of news that I think it deserves a new thread so people don't have to dig in the old one.

ESPN is reporting a 5 year / 82.5 million dollar deal is in place for AJ Burnett to go to the Yankees.

discuss...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In three years, when C.C. is breaking down and A.J is hurt, we will be lookign back on this. I agree SG, terrible contract to hand out to an injury liability. Im glad they are committing so much money into these two, and potentially Lowe, because even though it may pay off in the next two years, I think it will kill them long term.

IF AJ stays healthy... big if... that is a great 1-2-3 punch they've got going there with CC, Burnett and Joba.

It'll be fun to watch them play the Red Sox in the ACLS again. :(

Joba was a ploy. He will be in the bullpen. They have Wang too, so still not a bad 1-2-3.

I am glad this is happening.

Terrible contract to give AJ.

Cannot agree more. Both the AJ and CC contracts look like massive mistakes to me.

I think the Yankees have turned right around and clogged up their roster with two more Brown / Pavano / Vasquez type contracts. I think there is almost no chance these guys both stay healthy and competitive for more than a fraction of their contract terms.

Yeah, these pitchers will look likge good signings for a few years but long term I don't like the investment, the Yanks are showing their desperation by spending unwisely. Not that this has ever been a problem for them.

Hopefully this keeps them away from Tex for good.

HA 82.5 mil to AJ. At least Zito won a Cy Young to get his massive contract, and Sabathia has been completely dominant. What exactly has AJ done besides having one "Sidney Ponson peaking"-like season? (haha hyperbole, but I think any reference to Sir Sidney is funny).

They are going to regret this one a few years down the road.

(oh and for the record, I was one of the guys saying the O's should not overpay to get AJ because of injury risks and serious chances of regression in his mid to upper 30s, we'll see if I'm right)

All in all, I still would have liked to see him in an Orioles Jersey (for significantly less money), but I think we are really better off sticking to the plan. Develop pitching / Sign hitting.

And to who said this:

"I honestly think this may be the worst contract in the history of baseball, in terms of looking awful at the time the contract was signed."

I think you could have a point, and its in the runnings, but lets not forget Silva's recent contract, Pavano's, or Hampton's. Those were all bad, although Silva's is especially baffling.

Archived