AJ to New York done deal according to ESPN

bluedog

Amazing how what team someone signs with changes the perception of their ability... It seemed like most people wanted the Orioles to try and get Burnett. Now it seems like many people think he'll be Carl Pavano 2.0. Makes me wonder why so many people wanted the Orioles to sign Carl Pavano 2.0. ;)

I think the people advocating signing AJ and Pavano are not the same people who are shooting down this deal. And if they are, they advocated signing those guys for a lot less money or a lot fewer years.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that they're jumping into this right after emerging from the Pavano disaster really shows you how impervious they are to these deals blowing up on them.

Yep...One bad deal won't hurt them.

But if that deal does go bad, then they will have to spend more resources...or trade some of their younger players to get that talent.

All of that is good for the teams trying to catch them.

Yep...One bad deal won't hurt them.

But if that deal does go bad, then they will have to spend more resources...or trade some of their younger players to get that talent.

All of that is good for the teams trying to catch them.

Yup... And wasted roster spots can hurt even a team w/unlimited resources.

I would consider the Yankees and Cubs to be the early World Series favorites. The Yankee lineup can hit and suddenly they can pitch pretty well too. They could easily deal Hughes, plus 3 minor leaguers for Prince Fielder.

IF they sign Tex or they trade for Fielder, I'd put them at approximately the same place that they were last year.

They need to do that and have at least two more solid starting pitchers for me to consider them a world series contender. As they stand right now, they would be handing their #5 starting job to a either Hughes or Kennedy - who both have yet to win a ML game.

Not only that, but with Joba in the rotation, their bullpen is weakened significantly relative to last year.

An injury to Wang or Burnett or an off year by any of their four primary starters right now and the Yanks are potentially scouring the waiver wire for pitchers again, just like they were last year when they grabbed Sidney Ponson.

Let's not forgot how badly the Yanks offense fell off in 2008 from 2007 either. They've done nothing, other than trading for Swisher to address either that fall-off, or their depth issues or to replace Abreu or Giambi. And Abreu was a huge part of their offense.

On the other hand, the Rays and Red Sox are everything they were last year and more. If the Sox add Tex, then the Yanks may not end up within 15 games of the top two teams in the East, both of whom I'd expect to flirt with 100 wins.

I really really wanted A.J. Burnett on the O's as I've been a fan since his rookie year with the Florida Marlins, but not at this price. The best I would have offered is the following:

Four-years, $56 million with a fifth year option ($14 million) that can become guaranteed if certain incentives are reached. Also, he would be able to earn an additional $1 million per season in incentives. Total value could have reached five-years, $75 million.

For months and months we've read here how the Orioles had to/must sign AJ Burnett. Now that the Yankees have signed him, he's the next Barry Zito. Once Tex signs with Boston, he'll be the next Albert Belle. Well anyway, we can now get onto discussing the merits of the Eric Hinskes and Paul Byrds of the world.....which is where Oriole fans should have started their discussions this off season.

Amazing how what team someone signs with changes the perception of their ability... It seemed like most people wanted the Orioles to try and get Burnett. Now it seems like many people think he'll be Carl Pavano 2.0. Makes me wonder why so many people wanted the Orioles to sign Carl Pavano 2.0. ;)

No joke. But I don't think anyone questions AJ's ability, just his ability to stay healthy enough over a 5-year period to justify $82.5 mm.

The Yankees can not stand being out of the playoffs. They are not done. Is it possible that this is what Boras has been waiting for?? Will they jump in on Tex now?? Either way Selig can say what he wants but the money the Yankees and to a lesser degree the Red Sox spend corrupts the entire structure of baseball.

CC 7/160

AJ 5/82.5

Only 3 teams could do that. Mets, yankees, Sox.

No joke. But I don't think anyone questions AJ's ability, just his ability to stay healthy enough over a 5-year period to justify $82.5 mm.

Injury concerns or not, I don't sign 32 year old pitchers to 5 year contracts. This doesn't damage the O's at all.

The Yankees can not stand being out of the playoffs. They are not done. Is it possible that this is what Boras has been waiting for?? Will they jump in on Tex now?? Either way Selig can say what he wants but the money the Yankees and to a lesser degree the Red Sox spend corrupts the entire structure of baseball.

CC 7/160

AJ 5/82.5

Only 3 teams could do that. Mets, yankees, Sox.

Lot's more teams could have done it, including the O's. They simply chose not to.

You look at the list of biggest contracts in ML history and there are a lot of teams on that list other than the three you mention. ARod to Texas, Schmidt to LA and Zito to SF come to mind, but there are lots of others.

The O's and Nats are offering Tex 160 - 180 million, which is proof enough that they are capable of these kinds of contracts.

What Frobby & SG and others have said is more accurate - most teams can handle one or two of these kinds of contracts, but very few teams other than the Yanks, Mets and Red Sox can give them out on a regular basis and still survive if they go wrong.

Archived