AJ to New York done deal according to ESPN

bluedog

I agree it looks awful now, but so did his 5 yr/ 55 mil deal with the Blue Jays. You just never know, even though all signs point to the Yanks regretting this in the future.

I won't fret one second over this. It was right for the O's to pass on him at such a ridiculous price tag.

Even so, Sabathia, Burnett, Lowe/Sheets, Pettite, Wang? Yikes. I think that's what they're shooting for, so they have good reason to put Joba back in the pen. And they'll still have Hughes and Kennedy for depth or trade bait.

Those MFY... :vader:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow -- worse that Schmidt or Zito?

I thought the Zito contract was certifiable.

Zito and Schmidt had each had some incredible years and have been Top 5 pitchers in their league at various times. Granted those contracts were awful as well, but this contract for an oft-injured good but not great pitcher is nuts.

Don't you guys love it when other teams prevent us from making mistakes by making even larger mistakes? This contract, without a doubt, is a mistake. I said before that it reminds me of BJ Ryan's deal. At that time, we said good for BJ. This time, I say good for AJ.

Its not a mistake to the Yankees because money to them is like monopoly money. To every other team, except perhaps the Red Sox, it would be a mistake.

I am glad this is happening.

Terrible contract to give AJ.

I hear you SG. I am happy that he is not coming here. I still don't understand these people (NYY) do not learn from their mistakes and keep shelling out money on these injury-prone pitchers. Probably, in AM's language, the demand is outperforming the supply. I would have taken him as a local guy but to sign at this ridiculous contract is foolish.

I am still hoping Orioles cash in on Robert's trade while they have chance instead of waiting.

I am also hoping Orioles find a taker for Huff while his value is up.

I am glad this is happening.

Terrible contract to give AJ.

You'd be right if he was signing with any other team. But even if AJ's arm falls off in Spring Training and he never pitches an inning for them the Yanks can still absorb that $80 million out of their petty cash fund.

The sad fact is that they play by different rules than the rest of us.

Eh... you have a point, but it's still a mistake. Just one they can afford to make. (As been discussed on here 100 times)

Exactly. For at least 28 other teams, if this blew up it would be a crippling disaster. For the Yankees, if it blows up its an inconvenience.

Its not a mistake to the Yankees because money to them is like monopoly money. To every other team, except perhaps the Red Sox, it would be a mistake.

The Yankees do have limits. If they didn't have limits, they'd simply offer Tex 10 / 250 and grab him too. Or they would have offered K-Rod 3 / 60 to be the setup guy for Rivera.

So whenever they offer a bad contract like this, its actually a very good thing for the rest of the league. If they had any clue how to actually run their organization well, the Yanks would be almost unbeatable.

What we have to be thankful for is the fact the Yankees will always have bad ownership who can't control themselves and just let the baseball guys run the show. The fact that the Yanks have failed to win the world series in 8 years with the payroll advantage they have is all the evidence required to brand the organization as dysfunctional.

Can you imagine if they hired Billy Beane to run the Yanks? Now THAT'S something to be afraid of...

Archived