Raise your hand if you think Watkins was a better choice than Bradish?

Tony-OH

Put your hand down Mike, we already know you do.

This should be a transition year where the Orioles are seeing what they have in their young pitching. Bradish is one of those guys, but he was starting in Norfolk tonight sitting in the mid-90s while allowing just two hits with six Ks in 4 IP while Watkins is unable to make a throw to first base.

So the question is at this point, is Elias still not trying to win, or is he and his staff unable to evaluate talent? What world should Watkins be getting starts over Bradish? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bradish is 25 years old and while he didn't pitch great at Norfolk he has AAA experience already. He's shown more promise than other pitchers who made the team. I think he'll be called up before the end of April. 

So you think Bradish will only get three starts at Norfolk? I see end of May.

List of pitchers (in no particular order) who should have been given a chance to start today over Spenser Watkins (discounting availability, they had months to line up available starters):

1. Alexander Wells
  2. Zac Lowther
  3. Kyle Bradish
  4. Grayson Rodriguez
  5. Keegan Akin
  6. Mike Baumann
  7. Kyle Brnovich
  8. Blaine Knight
  9. Ofelky Peralta 
  10. Cody Sedlock
  11. Kevin Smith

I'm sure there are others.  At the end of the day if you say this a "transition" year or whatever they want to call it, you need to actually evaluate people at the ML level.  Note that I don't think many of the above are major league starters or even major league pitchers in general, but I know Spenser Watkins isn't.  What information did we acquire tonight?

I just added a few thoughts in the Minor League forum. Bradish is ready. He's not going to learn anything at AAA, and we're not going to learn anything either. I think he's going to have some struggles with the transition, but it's time to start that process with him. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that Bradish should have started in Baltimore tonight. I wanted him to break camp with the big team. I believe in a fair amount of caution with young pitchers, but this seems a bit much. At this point, I would rather go through the ups and downs of a young starter than watch Spenser Watkins pitch ever again. Nice guy and all, but pack your stuff, you’re out of here!

If Alexander Wells craps the bed again too, take him with you. And Dean Kremer too, whenever his sprained man-bun recovers. Last chance for both of them for me. 

I understand why Elias is doing what he is doing.   On Sept 11th last year Bradish had a 5.02 ERA. That does not say I am ready for the majors.

In his next 3 starts he pitched 15 innings and allowed one earned run.  That lower his ERA to 4.26.   Add yesterday's  game and he has had 4 good starts in a row.   Elias believes what you guy's preach all the time.   SSS.  

So Elias wants to see more at AAA.    He wants to see domination before Bradish is promoted.   Is that one more good start? Two? Three?   Only Elias knows for sure.  Its frustrating.  But there  is  some logic to it.  Many of you should be right there with Elias in his logic.    SSS is in your wheel house.

Its not about Bradish being better than Watkins.  Its about is Bradish ready to come up to the majors and stay.  Check the box.