Why McKenna over Chirinos?

interloper

I was at the game last night and the biggest frustration point for me was seeing McKenna pinch hit for Chirinos. For the life of me I did not understand that, but I also didn't see any chatter about it so perhaps I'm missing something. 

Chrinos lifetime OPS: .755 over 1,938 AB
McKenna lifetime OPS: .556 over 170 AB

Both right-handed hitters. And McKenna didn't even stay in as a defensive replacement. 

Absolutely bizarre to me, but let me know if I'm missing something. 

No, I was wondering that myself as well.  I saw some complaints about wasting Odor as a PH earlier in the game, but I think I could at least defend that as Hyde trying to take advantage of an opportunity before getting into the back end of the Brewers bullpen.  But I have no idea why you'd PH McKenna there, who not surprisingly had no chance.

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

No, I was wondering that myself as well.  I saw some complaints about wasting Odor as a PH earlier in the game, but I think I could at least defend that as Hyde trying to take advantage of an opportunity before getting into the back end of the Brewers bullpen.  But I have no idea why you'd PH McKenna there, who not surprisingly had no chance.

Yeah McKenna gets super exposed by big stuff pitchers, I just don't get why you'd bet against the veteran like that in that situation. I'm not saying Chirinos would have come through but he certainly could have put the ball in play at least. 

The only thing I can think is McKenna might have more bat speed? Or could beat out an infield hit? Eh... I don't usually have too much issue with Hyde's strategy, but this one was a botch for me. It's like a 90% chance McKenna strikes out in that situation, and that's exactly what he did. 

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was at the game last night and the biggest frustration point for me was seeing McKenna pinch hit for Chirinos. For the life of me I did not understand that, but I also didn't see any chatter about it so perhaps I'm missing something. 

Chrinos lifetime OPS: .755 over 1,938 AB
McKenna lifetime OPS: .556 over 170 AB

Both right-handed hitters. And McKenna didn't even stay in as a defensive replacement. 

Absolutely bizarre to me, but let me know if I'm missing something. 

I think they covered on the telecast: higher obs (he was wild and hoping he could work a walk there).

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If the pitcher throws a FB higher than 92 MPH, McKenna will strike out. Just like he did last night. 

Yeah it's just bizarre taking the bat out of Chirinos' hands, who is just obviously a better hitter than Ryan McKenna at this point. You want the steady hand in that situation. McKenna hasn't even made a start yet, the guy isn't settled in and you put him up against the back end of the Brewers bullpen? Super weird. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I think they covered on the telecast: higher obs (he was wild and hoping he could work a walk there).

Chirinos had just walked to get on for Mullins' grand slam as well as the go ahead run in yesterday's game. If you're going for a walk there Chirinos still seems like the better bet. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I think it’s that ole Hyder isn’t a very good manager. 

Here's a question was pinch hitting McKenna last night a Hyde decision, or was it Sig and his analytics teams directing Hyde to put McKenna in the game? 

I don't think Hyde is a genius manager by any means, but how much of the in-game decisions are being drive by Sig? Whatever the case the decision making during games leaves a lot to be desired. 

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Here's a question was pinch hitting McKenna last night a Hyde decision, or was it Sig and his analytics teams directing Hyde to put McKenna in the game? 

I don't think Hyde is a genius manager by any means, but how much of the in-game decisions are being drive by Sig? Whatever the case the decision making during games leaves a lot to be desired. 

Seems like "analytics" and "computers" are becoming something of a new bogeyman all of a sudden. What's up with that? If McKenna was an analytics based decision that just means the algorithm needs to be fixed. 

We all agree that Hyde has not been given very much talent to work with since he's been manager here.

But last night was one of those nights where he showed he may not be ready to be a manager with a good team. 

He burns his only left-handed batter on the bench in Odor in the 6th inning without him batting. Why? Did he not think there could be a time when he there could be a better matchup choice later in the game especially when he knows he's going to have a very right-handed lineup and the Brewers have a right-handed setup guy who is much better against righties than lefties?

And while that was bad enough, Hyde very well may be only manager in the history of baseball who pinch hits McKenna against a mid-90s throwing right-hander with a good changeup.  

It's like he was frustrated and was like, let me try every possible wrong move and see if it comes through.

BTW, whoever evaluated Owings and thinks he can play SS effectively at the major league level needs to turn in their evaluation card.

• Upvote 1