The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Continues to be completely stupid.

No, it was more exciting this way. Didn't you see that action when they had to field the ball off the wall and Mountcastle had to run full speed to 2nd base? That's way more fun than a boring home run would have been. This is what people wanted.

It has been cold at Camden Yards so far this year, I'll withhold final judgement until I see how it plays during the summer....but so far it just seems to extreme, and makes the park to biased in favor of left handed hitters 

2 minutes ago, deward said:

No, it was more exciting this way. Didn't you see that action when they had to field the ball off the wall and Mountcastle had to run full speed to 2nd base? That's way more fun than a boring home run would have been. This is what people wanted.

Don't forget the always fun replay challenge time suck.

• Upvote 1

I know it’s a hot topic and every time a ball doesn’t go out there will be woulda, coulda, shoulda.  I enjoy the bigger field but completely get people who don’t like it.  If what just happened to Mountcastle happens dozens of times this year, I imagine I will begin to get frustrated.  I’m interested to see how much it really comes into play through course of the season.  

If it’s too extreme, it wouldn’t be too difficult, or expensive, to put in a shorter fence about 10’ parallel to the Mountain and make a second field crew area or “on-field” seats.  Would be hard &costly to push back further, wonder if they pushed it to the extreme leaving them an opportunity to make an easy adjustment if they needed to.  

18 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I know it’s a hot topic and every time a ball doesn’t go out there will be woulda, coulda, shoulda.  I enjoy the bigger field but completely get people who don’t like it.  If what just happened to Mountcastle happens dozens of times this year, I imagine I will begin to get frustrated.  I’m interested to see how much it really comes into play through course of the season.  

If it’s too extreme, it wouldn’t be too difficult, or expensive, to put in a shorter fence about 10’ parallel to the Mountain and make a second field crew area or “on-field” seats.  Would be hard &costly to push back further, wonder if they pushed it to the extreme leaving them an opportunity to make an easy adjustment if they needed to.  

I doubt it gets changed as long as Elias is still in charge.

This is the 14th home game. So far, the new dimensions have cost the Orioles 5-6 HR (one is borderline), and cost opponents 2 HR. SSS, of course, but a significant impact over the games that have taken place to this point. Intuitively, it makes sense that the change would be quite detrimental the O's current, RH-heavy lineup.

It's much harder to track, but I also would bet we see a lot more singles and doubles like Odor just hit (that would maybe previously have been singles) in LF this year, with the LF having to play deeper 

Edited by seak05

5 minutes ago, deward said:

This is the 14th home game. So far, the new dimensions have cost the Orioles 5-6 HR (one is borderline), and cost opponents 2 HR. SSS, of course, but a significant impact over the games that have taken place to this point. Intuitively, it makes sense that the change would be quite detrimental the O's current, RH-heavy lineup.

The question becomes does that hurt or help us long term.  Is cutting the number of homers over the course of the year say by 10% a good or bad thing.  If homers are down in the stadium does that help us to get pitchers in the future?

6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

It's much harder to track, but I also would bet we see a lot more singles and doubles like Odor just hit (that would maybe previously have been singles) in LF this year, with the LF having to play deeper 

It would make sense that more balls would fall in with more ground to cover, but that has yet to manifest itself in the results. You're right that we can't track that ball by ball, but team batting is roughly the same home vs away (.227 home vs .223 away) and runs aren't much different (3.5 rpg home vs 3.2 rpg away). Significantly more doubles on the road so far (27 vs 15, not including today). 

Just now, bpilktree said:

The question becomes does that hurt or help us long term.  Is cutting the number of homers over the course of the year say by 10% a good or bad thing.  If homers are down in the stadium does that help us to get pitchers in the future?

I don't believe that the stadium has ever had an impact on the team's ability to sign free agent pitchers. They have to be willing to make the top offer on the market if they want to sign a major free agent pitcher. When they do (Alex Cobb, Ubaldo Jiminez), pitchers were always willing to sign here. If they don't, then wall isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference. There isn't going to be a wall discount.

• Upvote 1