A Night At The Ballpark

Roll Tide

There’s a saying that goes something like you adapt or you get bypassed. Reading this thread I wonder if some fans are being bypassed by new generations. If the goal is to bring more fans to the stadium then there will be generations that don’t have your same confirmation of what should happen at a game. Have fun. Do the wave. Wear silly outfits. Oh and paper money is only used in monopoly. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

There’s a saying that goes something like you adapt or you get bypassed. Reading this thread I wonder if some fans are being bypassed by new generations. If the goal is to bring more fans to the stadium then there will be generations that don’t have your same confirmation of what should happen at a game. Have fun. Do the wave. Wear silly outfits. Oh and paper money is only used in monopoly. 

As an observation younger fans don’t seem to have the same passion for the team. Granted the Orioles have done nothing to generate it. When Camden opened it was an opinion that the rich yuppie group was just into the whole experience, being seen,  and only passively liked the Orioles. Thus need to be alerted when to cheer.

The Yankees fans  would’ve never been able to invade the yard on 33rd street. 

BTW, it’s just my opinion and I’m not questioning anyones fandom individually especially here.

• Upvote 1

I took my son last year to the last game at Orioles stadium and our experience was exactly the same. Unfortunately then you couldn't bring in your own food/drink because of Covid and if you wanted anything to eat/drink you had to get it there. I was reading an article how the prices at Camden yards increased by 30% from 2019 to 2021. From what I read we are def not one of the cheapest for food and beverage. 

Sources for prices below: Can't remember if links are allowed, will remove if not. 

https://blog.cheapism.com/mlb-hot-dog-beer-prices/#slide=2

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/628/beer-hot-dog-and-ticket-prices-at-major-league-baseball-parks.html

Edited by Justinlstn

32 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

I took my son last year to the last game at Orioles stadium and our experience was exactly the same. Unfortunately then you couldn't bring in your own food/drink because of Covid and if you wanted anything to eat/drink you had to get it there. I was reading an article how the prices at Camden yards increased by 30% from 2019 to 2021. From what I read we are def not one of the cheapest for food and beverage. 

Sources for prices below: Can't remember if links are allowed, will remove if not. 

https://blog.cheapism.com/mlb-hot-dog-beer-prices/#slide=2

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/628/beer-hot-dog-and-ticket-prices-at-major-league-baseball-parks.html

My point is they lure people with cheap tickets and are trying to make it up with concessions. $50 for what amounts to a six pack is just gouging. 

1 hour ago, O-The-Memories said:

The older I get, the more I realize that other people enjoy stuff that I strongly dislike, and that's OK. I like seeing people having fun at a game, even if things like "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and the wave are things I'm not a fan of (to say the least). I think we can also look at older times with orange tinted nostalgia. Memorial Stadium wasn't nearly as nice of a park as Camden Yards to actually watch a game, and the seats weren't comfortable. There were plenty of days where the games weren't heavily attended and the crowd wasn't always into the game back then either. I try to just enjoy things in the moment, and I had a lot of fun last night. I'll still enjoy seeing us play a team like the Royals with 9,000 people in the ballpark, but last night had a cool environment in my opinion. 

Nothing ORANGE TINTED about my opinion. The atmosphere and approach to being a fan at the game has changed pretty drastically. I’ve experienced both many times. I was 21 when Camden Yards opened. I was a Sunday season ticket holder when I was younger. I attended more games at the current venue.  Remember when it opened a lot of the die hards said the games weren’t affordable and the new atmosphere was pricing that group out for the Yuppie corporate crowd. It’s just different…… personally don’t care either way. I think Wild Bill was among them.

BTW, I don’t care for the John Denver song and I hate the claymation Oriole bird videos that they’ve created. Talk about Cheesy

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

My point is they lure people with cheap tickets and are trying to make it up with concessions. $50 for what amounts to a six pack is just gouging. 

To recap you got: 4 tickets, parking, 5 beers, soda in souvenir cup, and fries for around $85. Now you said the parking and tickets came from work, but acknowledged the promotion, so lets add $50 for a total of $135. Add to that hot dogs last night were 2 bucks (as part of the promotion). and you could choose to bring in your own food. 12 dollars for a 20oz beer just isn't out of the ordinary in 2022 at a stadium. It seems as if you feel because you got cheap tickets, you should also get to pay 1992 prices for crabcakes and beer as well. To me, it seems like you got pretty good value for your money, even if we add in the (promotional) cost of tickets, you're certinaly going to pay more per person for a movie ticket + two drinks 

Edited by seak05
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, seak05 said:

To recap you got: 4 tickets, parking, 5 beers, soda in souvenir cup, and fries for around $85. Now you said the parking and tickets came from work, but acknowledged the promotion, so lets add $50 for a total of $135. Add to that hot dogs last night were 2 bucks (as part of the promotion). and you could choose to bring in your own food. 12 dollars for a 20oz beer just isn't out of the ordinary in 2022 at a stadium. It seems as if you feel because you got cheap tickets, you should also get to pay 1992 prices for crabcakes and beer as well. To me, it seems like you got pretty good value for your money, even if we add in the (promotional) cost of tickets, you're certinaly going to pay more per person for a movie ticket + two drinks 

Dude, don’t just make crap up!

This was the 1st sentence of my original post 

So I was among the 30,000 or so that was at the stadium last night. I got 4 terrace box seats (behind the Os dugout) and a parking pass from work. The seats are pretty good except you can’t see the balls hit in the air that aren’t on a line. 

My company has season tickets and I’m sure the tickets are not $4 or $12. If you can’t understand the basis of my posts or were just too lazy to read and comprehend them that’s on you!

I’m not going to waste my time explaining it to you again.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Missed the part where I acknowledged he got the tickets from work, so in order to make it a more fair comparison I added in ticket costs using the promotion he was complaining about

Reading comprehension is fundamental, you should try it 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Reading comprehension is fundamental, you should try it 

…… 

Now you said the parking and tickets came from work

I said it in the opening post not later!  

I said they are luring fans with $4 and $12 tickets. The offset is jacking up the concessions to make it up.

Since you don’t know me you have no idea whether it’s my company or a work benefit. So trying to make an assumption about what you think I paid to go to the game is a whole different issue. The tickets are full season tickets that cost $304 per game and a $25 parking permit. So to spend nearly a $100 for 8 beers (3 20oz and 2 regular cans), a soda, and a small cup of fries is absurd. Also I’m not brown bagging food into the stadium. The only thing I’ve ever brought to a game is the Jeppi nuts purchased outside the gate. Mainly because they don’t sell unsalted in the stadium. The same stuff at the Ravens game is around $60. I don’t care how much you’d pay for a beer at Yankees stadium since I’d never be stupid enough to go. 

At the end of the day, I was pointing out their marketing ploy. Trying to insinuate I’m cheap is bush league and complaining about the cost of concessions when using my “free tickets”

My opinion is they are jacking season ticket holders to lure passive fans with cheap tickets and allowing them to brown bag. The offset is they raised concessions 30% to cover it.

BTW, retaliatory rep is against board rules. 

I’m going today and will keep an eye on the prices.   Trying to decide whether to bring my own sandwich.   I do love me a stadium bratwurst.  I bring my own water or soda but usually like to purchase an adult beverage or two.

Last year there were vendors selling stuff in the stands, but not as many of them as in past years.  No sign of Clancy.   I think the drasctically lower attendance means it doesn’t make sense to have as many vendors, so the ones who are there have more ground to cover.   And then when they have the occasional game where the crowd is bigger they are not equipped to handle it.  That 32,000+ crowd on Friday night was larger than any crowd the O’s had in 2021.

• Upvote 1

Personally, i think the idea of the 1992 prices for tickets is genius and has brought many more fans to the stadium already then would not have come.

As for concession prices, if anyone hasn't noticed, everything is higher EVERYWHERE thanks to inflation that we have not seen since the early 80s. Are consessions outrageous, sure, they are, but they've been that way for a long time and most people just kinda figure that into the equation. Took my son to a WWE wrestling match at Royal Farm Arena and the cheapest beer was $16. Grant it it was 24 ounces, but that was cheapest they had and food was crazy high there too. 

I like the idea that the Orioles allow you to bring in your own food again if you are on a budget. Everyone knows they are going to pay a lot of money for alcoholic beverages at sporting/concert events. As one person said, if that's your driving force to attend, get pre liquored up at Sliders or Pickels.

Now, the long lines and lack of vendors is a problem the Orioles should be able to do something about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

…… 

I said it in the opening post not later!  

I said they are luring fans with $4 and $12 tickets. The offset is jacking up the concessions to make it up.

Since you don’t know me you have no idea whether it’s my company or a work benefit. So trying to make an assumption about what you think I paid to go to the game is a whole different issue. The tickets are full season tickets that cost $304 per game and a $25 parking permit. So to spend nearly a $100 for 8 beers (3 20oz and 2 regular cans), a soda, and a small cup of fries is absurd. Also I’m not brown bagging food into the stadium. The only thing I’ve ever brought to a game is the Jeppi nuts purchased outside the gate. Mainly because they don’t sell unsalted in the stadium. The same stuff at the Ravens game is around $60. I don’t care how much you’d pay for a beer at Yankees stadium since I’d never be stupid enough to go. 

At the end of the day, I was pointing out their marketing ploy. Trying to insinuate I’m cheap is bush league and complaining about the cost of concessions when using my “free tickets”

My opinion is they are jacking season ticket holders to lure passive fans with cheap tickets and allowing them to brown bag. The offset is they raised concessions 30% to cover it.

BTW, retaliatory rep is against board rules. 

You literally downvoted my post because I did math, and then claimed I made stuff up. Again this is why reading comprehension is fundamental, now - in a sentence - can have multiple meanings. It does not always mean recent, it can also be used to draw attention to a point, which is the way it was used in my original response. At the end of the day, I was pointing out that if you included the promotional cost of the ticket (which obviously you didn't pay regardless of how your tickets came about), and concession prices, going to the game was a good deal. And as multiple people have now pointed out, high concession prices at arena/sporting events/concerts is par for the course, and not due to an Orioles marketing deal. At least the Orioles let you bring in food/water, which the Ravens sure don't (and the concessions at Ravens park are really weak).  

As to the long lines and lack of vendors, I wonder if it's a result of the tight labor market, and the Orioles planning to staff for most games for 15000 people - not 30000.

Edited by seak05