Seriously.. what in the literal %#$@ are we watching?

banks703

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hang in there.  Things are about to change.

First off the problem is not the pitching.   The pitching is 10th in MLB with a 3.42 ERA.  And the defense looks solid.   Its the offense that is costing the O's game right now.

Help is on the way in about 3 weeks.   Look at AAA.   Stowers  1.917 OPS,  Jones 1.067 OPS, Nevin .990 OPS,   Vavra .897 OPS, Bannon .834 OPS.  And that does not even count Adley who might beat them all to the majors in the next few weeks.  All these guys but Vavra played at AAA last year so if they get 100 at bats at AAA this year and are still hitting my guess is they could be promoted.

My bet is Adley starts playing games at Norfolk this week.   He will need about a week to get his bat going.  So we could see Adley debut with the O's in the next 10 days.

Nevin has played 6 games at Norfolk this year.  4 of them has been at 3B.  I could see Guttierrez being DFA'd to Norfolk and Nevin playing 3B of the O's in 3  weeks.  Urias will move back to 2B.   

AAA is probably not going to hold Stowers for very long.    I could see McKenna being optioned and Stowers promoted in 3 weeks.    I can see Hyde putting a rotation into play with 6 players playing 5 positions.   Hays, Mullins, Santander,Mancini, Mountcastle and Stowers play 5 games and go to the bench for one. 

Bradish and Grayson will also be ready by about the first of May.   It will not be hard to make room for them.

To address your concerns about Lakins,  he may be optioned before the trip to the west coast tomorrow.    I think Ellis or Hartman may be called up to fill the 5th starter spot piggy backing with Alex Wells.    Means may go of the 60 day IL.

If you need a boost for the next few weeks I suggest you spend $13.99 on  a  MILB.TV subscription for a month to watch all these players kick butt at AAA.  I did and its worth it to me.

Stowers is locked in right now, but he can't come up until there is a place for him to play everyday. Unless the Orioles want to use some kind of rotation between Hays, Mullins, Satander, Stowers, Mancini, and Mountcastle between OF/1B/DH giving each one game every 6 games. Either way, he needs to play everyday somewhere.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Means injury gives the team even more of an excuse to throw away the season.  

As much Elias is making me scratch me head with these pitching moves (Watkins/Lakins) and by continually playing Odor, I don't think he's throwing away the season.

I do have hope we will start seeing some of Stowers, Bradish and Rodriguez soon. I think we may see Ellis get promoted and Lakins DFA'd so he can start Tuesday. 

Losing Means obviously stinks and means we may be looking at more of a 65 win season now if the young guys can come up and give this team a lift. 

Elias has to get rid of the dead weight that has nothing to do with winning now or in the future. 

38 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Pft all we hear is he is "progressing' and playing catch. I feel like it will still be 2 weeks until he is in Norfolk. Then probably another 3 weeks down there. 

And then you get to the point in which you don't have to wait too much longer to keep him from being a Super 2 so the intelligent move is to wait for that.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And then you get to the point in which you don't have to wait too much longer to keep him from being a Super 2 so the intelligent move is to wait for that.

And then maybe keep him in the winning environment of Norfolk rather than exposing him to a hopeless atmosphere in Baltimore. Then decide that maybe it's better not to burn his first year of service time on a team that's going to lose anyway and just for next spring and start fresh.  (joking, sort of)

Diplan was added to the 40 man and has been brought up from Triple - A (like this move), Wells designated (instead of Laskin, which seems odd), and Means to 60 day :(. Wonder if this means the Orioles are planning on adding someone to the 40 man for the west coast trip. Probably Ellis? 

Edited by seak05
correct information

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Diplan has been brought up from Triple - A (like this move), Wells DFA's (instead of Laskin, which seems odd), and Means to 60 day :(. Wonder if this means the Orioles are planning on adding someone to the 40 man for the west coast trip. Probably Ellis? 

Wells was optioned. Not DFA

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Diplan has been brought up from Triple - A (like this move), Wells DFA's (instead of Laskin, which seems odd), and Means to 60 day :(. Wonder if this means the Orioles are planning on adding someone to the 40 man for the west coast trip. Probably Ellis? 

Interesting that they moved Means to the 60 day IL that quickly.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting that they moved Means to the 60 day IL that quickly.

Even if he didn't need Tommy John, an elbow strain would be a couple month shut down, followed by a throwing program....and given he's getting a second opinion...the next thing we're going to hear on Means is surgery. This opened up the 40 man spot. Orioles have a couple other spots they can open by DFA Laskin and Smith.

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Even if he didn't need Tommy John, an elbow strain would be a couple month shut down, followed by a throwing program....and given he's getting a second opinion...the next thing we're going to hear on Means is surgery. This opened up the 40 man spot. Orioles have a couple other spots they can open by DFA Laskin and Smith.

I'm not disagreeing with the decision, or struggling to understand it.

Just commenting on the speed at which the decision was reached.  As far as we know he hasn't had the results of the second opinion yet.

The timing is interesting to me