Means to 60-day, O's option Wells not Lakins, purchase Diplan from Norfolk

Tony-OH

In another headscrather, Elias decides to add Marcos Diplan to the roster, but instead of DFAing Travis Lakins, these option Wells who actually provided some decent relief and is a good bulk releiver for the right-handers in the rotation.

For those counting, Elias now has Spenser Watkins, Lakins and Diplan on his 28-man roster in a year when they suppoesdly are trying to win more games. 

I dunno, but I don't get it. Does anyone think or care if Lakins didn't make it through waivers? 

I've defended Elias a lot but I can no longer defend his moves this year. While Odor did get the big hit today, he's part of the head scratching moves he's made to make up this roster.

Sure, we're all happy we won 2 out of 3 against the Yankees, but I just don't get these moves. 

• Upvote 2

I can’t help but think he’s riding the Lakins addition out so the move to put him back on the roster looks better.

Because I agree, can’t think of a good reason why you send Wells down and Lakins. Especially during a time of year where the starters are still building innings and those long relief types are more valuable. 

Diplan and Wells are both 25, in terms of having one up or the other to see if they do better this year…I imagine both will get plenty of chances over the course of the year & I don’t really get getting worked up over either of them.

Lakins I am assuming gets DFA’d for the Tuesday starter, but he wasn’t totally incompetent as a major league pitcher in 19 and 20, so having him in the bullpen doesn’t seem that extreme

I will give credit when credit is due, I like Elias from the perspective of having built a really great system and organization.  I know some of the pieces were already here when he got here and Adley was the overall #1 pick no brainer but still, he's done a great job.  The Dominican facility, analytics, etc...I like all of that, it's all fantastic.

But that doesn't absolve him from any criticism about how he's handling the roster.  I'm with Tony on this, it's getting absurd.  There's no reason why Bradish shouldn't be up and getting a start tomorrow.

In regards to Means, I think we should prepare to see him sometime next year.

Mike's ultra-conservative approach to promotions and rehab is very frustrating. We'll see if it ends up being worth it.

Why not Alex Wells over Watkins?

Why not Vespi over Lakins? 

What does Grayson have left to prove in the minors? 

Is 100 IP at AAA not enough for Bradish?

Are Stowers and Vavra not ready?

Etc. Etc. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

For those counting, Elias now has Spenser Watkins, Lakins and Diplan on his 28-man roster in a year when they suppoesdly are trying to win more games. 

Has Elias publicly said that that the team is trying to win more games this year?  I agree that the early roster management doesn't appear that way.  Watkins is kind of the bellwether there for me.  

Seems to me like 2022 has been earmarked as more of the same, with the exception that we'll start to see some actual prospects trickling in soon.

• Upvote 1

I think this is just Wells emptied his tank and we're maximizing the roster spot tonight.

If Tampa has taught us anything, it is that your pitching staff is like seven keepers and seven other guys you stream based on matchups and freshness.

Bonus points if "Norfolk Tide" Alex Wells is in Oakland right now in case some reliever throws 33 pitches tonight and has a sore arm tomorrow.

A process-driven style is probably going to be double guarded not being on tilt this week if there's a chaos factor like John Means being on the operating table this minute.   I have a feeling Matt Harvey's ramp-up is going really really well.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Seems to me like 2022 has been earmarked as more of the same, with the exception that we'll start to see some actual prospects trickling in soon.

We can only hope.  

Barring injury, I think we can all agree that there are two guys that we should 100% see up this year:

1.  Adley 

2.  G-Rod

Who are the rest that you guys feel have to get up here this year?  Bradish.  I'm assuming Stowers at some point.  I'd like to say DL Hall but I'm betting there's a strict innings limit on him.

I'd like to see, as you said, "actual prospects" come up but I can see Adley, G-Rod, Bradish and Stowers being the only "actual prospects" that come up this year.  I mean, if Elias is dicking around with Lakins and Diplan and signing Matt Harvey to a MiL deal, it kind of gives some insight as to where his head is at right now.  Granted, that could change later this summer but I get the feeling that we're just going to have to suck it up and realize that Elias is going to promote guys at a slow, annoying, deliberate pace.  

• Upvote 1

The Means injury hurts to say the least. That's a guy I truly enjoyed watching pitch. I also wish we could see Bradish, but the issue to me isn't Diplan being called up, it's Lakins being up here instead of Bradish. Diplan is a guy I would like to evaluate a little more as well. I think Lakins is 28 or so and he isn't even really a BP arm I want to see more of. 

I truly hope we get to see lots of real prospects this year. Fans will show up to see Grayson, Adley, DL Hall (maybe I'm being a little optimistic with him) Bradish, and Stowers. So many of us understand that it's not about wins and losses, but I don't want to keep on seeing guys like Lakins, Watkins, Odor, Owings, McKenna, etc.