Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He is dialed in but it's steady and consistent.   He doesn't seem to be on a "hot" streak.    I mean he hasn't seemed to have many 3-4 games with 2 home runs type of games.  Every game seems to be 1 hit and 2 walks or 2 hits and 1 walk but his box scores don't jump off the page each day.

Well, I agree with that.  He’s certainly been exhibiting a good eye and patience since day one this year.   But, he’s hit .395 the last 12 games (2 series plus a game) after hitting .261 up to that point.  That’s why I say he’s on a hot streak.   Even his earlier performance was very good though (.885 OPS during that .261  BA period).   I’m very impressed.   Probably the best story in our farm system right now.  

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have been floating the idea that if the O's are in the wild card race in early August  Gunnar could join the O's down the stretch.  Like Manny did in 2012.

What do you think?

Sure.   I don’t expect the former to happen, but if it does, why not?  

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have been floating the idea that if the O's are in the wild card race in early August  Gunnar could join the O's down the stretch.  Like Manny did in 2012.

What do you think?

I think that's a big IF but I would agree that is possible.     If he Gunnar is putting these types of numbers up in Norfolk in June, July, and August in AAA, it's going to be tough to justify keeping him down.

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What do you think?

If he keeps playing like this, I’d like to see him in August whether we’re in the wild card race or not. 

13 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

If he keeps playing like this, I’d like to see him in August whether we’re in the wild card race or not. 

Well I can see wanting him to be called up.  But if they are not in the wild card race I don't think that happens.   He doesn't have to be on the 40 man roster this off season so Elias will probably save that slot for someone else if they are not in the race.

65 games in Aberdeen before they promoted him last year. Bowie being in the playoffs helped him a little there, but he was going to start in AA this year anyways. He’ll be around 65 games in Bowie in around a month. I think it’s very realistic to expect a promotion in the next 4-6 weeks if he’s still dominating like this. He’s going to take a huge jump in the prospect rankings. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

65 games in Aberdeen before they promoted him last year. Bowie being in the playoffs helped him a little there, but he was going to start in AA this year anyways. He’ll be around 65 games in Bowie in around a month. I think it’s very realistic to expect a promotion in the next 4-6 weeks if he’s still dominating like this. He’s going to take a huge jump in the prospect rankings. 

I agree with this. I think it'll be on the front end of that window if he's still hitting well. I think early June we see him in AAA. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His 65 games in Aberdeen were not equivalent to what he's doing now. I'll take the under. 

It looks like more than a hot streak to me.  Even his .261 was a floor based on his 14/12 K/BB rate and a .294 babip.  

His first 20 games are pretty average/expected (even unlucky) with that type of K/BB rate:  .250/.427/.438 (.865 OPS/.277 babip).  Being a lefty with above average speed, a babip higher than .300 wouldn't be a surprise.  

His last 7 games have been a hot streak:  3/3 K/BB, .550/.600/.800 (1.400 OPS/.588 Babip).

Nothing really screams odd on his batted ball profile (though it's tough with SSS, development, etc.).  Increased GB/FB rate and a little higher Pull%.

I think his mental approach to hitting has improved (maybe the similar philosophy that Cowser/Westburg are adjusting to?).  Not saying he can't revert back or go through a slump, but the first 20 games look like a solid floor.

At some point the team may need decide where they want him to play next season (in Baltimore) and start giving him primary reps at that position. 

If Mateo ends up being in the long term plans they could decide it's going to be at third base.  Obviously this season needs to play out a bit longer.  

Personally, I like the idea of making him prove he can't handle SS.   You can always move him to third base down the line.