Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

The biggest hurdle for Henderson is the 40-man spot. If they think he'll be ready for OD, it would make sense to get him to the majors in August or September this year as you don't lose service time compared to Opening Day, but with Henderson not needing to be added to the 40-man, they can keep an extra 40-man spot throughout the winter if he's not promoted this year. Ultimately, I think that makes as much of an impact on his chances for promotion as anything else. (Though I do think there are enough disposal players on the 40-man that it shouldn't be an issue).  

We can still cut at least 10 guys from the 40 man and it not make a damn bit of a difference and that doesn’t include any trades they could make.

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

He hasn’t given them a whole lot of choice, especially with this promotion.

He didn't necessarily dominate Hi-A and they moved him to AA really quickly. It's very fair to say they've been aggressive with him even taking into account how good he's been.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it depends.  Any prospect who they believe will be on the OD roster next year can come up at any point this year.  

Now, if they want to play the service time game, I agree Henderson and Westburg stay down this year.

Im just glad to see them promote Henderson when they should.  It’s all about being challenged and if you aren’t being challenged, there is no reason for you to be at that level anymore.  If he completely dominates AAA for a few months, he should be brought up.  That’s what development is.

I’ll worry about a promotion from AAA if and when he’s excelling at that level.  We’ll see how it goes.  I was bummed to see last night’s AAA debut rained out!

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He didn't necessarily dominate Hi-A and they moved him to AA really quickly. It's very fair to say they've been aggressive with him even taking into account how good he's been.  

Yea I would agree he didn’t dominate hi A but he still earned the promotion and obviously it was warranted. 

Im not sure I would use the word aggressive(maybe just semantics though) w/r/t Henderson but I do agree that they have been willing to move him along at a better rate than other guys.

The question I have is, why?  Not saying they are wrong but I wonder what it is about him that caused them to move him faster than others?

20 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

This has been mentioned before and I’m starting to agree that Elias should consider giving the kid a nice comfy payday and bringing him up.  I believe the reward outweighs the risk and a 20y/o in AAA is likely to take a decent deal right now to secure himself in the future.  If he continues on this trajectory, he will become expensive quickly.

Yep, he could be in year two of a ten year deal right now.  😉

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Instead he’s in year 2 of an 8 or 9 year deal (depending on when they bring him up) and none of it is guaranteed.

Not as if the whole of the ten year deal would have been guaranteed.

Any deal like that would have included team friendly options.

But you know that.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not as if the whole of the ten year deal would have been guaranteed.

Any deal like that would have included team friendly options.

But you know that.

But so what?  A lot of it would have been guaranteed and you have that already but  hey, you know that…I think.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I would agree he didn’t dominate hi A but he still earned the promotion and obviously it was warranted. 

Im not sure I would use the word aggressive(maybe just semantics though) w/r/t Henderson but I do agree that they have been willing to move him along at a better rate than other guys.

The question I have is, why?  Not saying they are wrong but I wonder what it is about him that caused them to move him faster than others?

I think it's all service time/completive level of the ML club related. Elias is trying to maximize the amount of time the club's top prospects are together on the ML squad when they have the best chance to be completive. I think they looked at the club's assets (or lack thereof) when they got here and circled 2023 as the year to "flip the switch." Next year will be the first full season for Adley, Henderson, Westburg, Hall, Grayrod, Stowers on a club we seem to all agree is at least generally heading in the right direction. Wouldn't shock me if they make their final big moves at this deadline and make their first couple multi-million dollar FA signings this offseason. I certainly understand the ethical grey area this kind of team building results in (Adley/Grayrod should've been up earlier) but.....I get it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know. How many players are going to give up FA years for team friendly options.  The Evan Longoria deal is a long time ago.  Anyone sign a deal giving up FA years for team friendly options lately?

I was speaking of the hypothetical deal I proposed last year in which they would have called up a 20 year old Gunnar to effectively learn in the majors.

That type of contract would have to include team options to mitigate some of the risk.

Gunnar would have a lot more leverage if similar talks took place today.

16 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I think it's all service time/completive level of the ML club related. Elias is trying to maximize the amount of time the club's top prospects are together on the ML squad when they have the best chance to be completive. I think they looked at the club's assets (or lack thereof) when they got here and circled 2023 as the year to "flip the switch." Next year will be the first full season for Adley, Henderson, Westburg, Hall, Grayrod, Stowers on a club we seem to all agree is at least generally heading in the right direction. Wouldn't shock me if they make their final big moves at this deadline and make their first couple multi-million dollar FA signings this offseason. I certainly understand the ethical grey area this kind of team building results in (Adley/Grayrod should've been up earlier) but.....I get it. 

No doubt that’s why they waited on guys.  They wanted them all up at once. But that plan assumes a lot of things, many of which I think are wrong to assume even if it works out.

Either way, it will be nice to finally get them all up here and hopefully be healthy.

Im not counting on any real signings though.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe, just maybe, our hand wringing about them 'slow moving' prospects is not accurate.  Maybe they judge each one as an individual case, and don't use a cookie cutter 'slow them down' or whatever approach.  There is so much data out there now, and only a small portion of it is accessible to fans.  In addition, as others have mentioned, maybe they were slowing down some and speeding up others to try to get folks on the MLB team around the same time to enhance how long the 'window' is open with this group of young players.  Slowing down some of the older guys and speeding up some of the younger would, in theory, mean that you've a greater pool of talent hitting the majors around the same time.  While that may not have been 'fair' to the older players, setting aside emotions and focusing only on the needs of the club it does make sense.  There is just so much we don't know about the 'plan' or what boxes need checked from an analytical standpoint to really know or understand why some get promoted quickly and why some seem to drag on longer than it should.

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Maybe, just maybe, our hand wringing about them 'slow moving' prospects is not accurate.  Maybe they judge each one as an individual case, and don't use a cookie cutter 'slow them down' or whatever approach.  There is so much data out there now, and only a small portion of it is accessible to fans.  In addition, as others have mentioned, maybe they were slowing down some and speeding up others to try to get folks on the MLB team around the same time to enhance how long the 'window' is open with this group of young players.  Slowing down some of the older guys and speeding up some of the younger would, in theory, mean that you've a greater pool of talent hitting the majors around the same time.  While that may not have been 'fair' to the older players, setting aside emotions and focusing only on the needs of the club it does make sense.  There is just so much we don't know about the 'plan' or what boxes need checked from an analytical standpoint to really know or understand why some get promoted quickly and why some seem to drag on longer than it should.

They clearly slow played Adley.  They did with Grayson as well.  It’s not really debatable.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was speaking of the hypothetical deal I proposed last year in which they would have called up a 20 year old Gunnar to effectively learn in the majors.

That type of contract would have to include team options to mitigate some of the risk.

Gunnar would have a lot more leverage if similar talks took place today.