ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

I don't think every player is like Arod though, and they saw how that worked out with him in Texas when he took the most money.

Money is the reason why big name free agents hire Boras. Most players would sign with the team that offers 15% more than anyone else. I worry about the Nationals a little as far as the money stand point goes. I wish their was a leaked report regarding a stronger Orioles offer. The first Nationals offer was 9/180, I doubt their next offer went down.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Money is the reason why big name free agents hire Boras. Most players would sign with the team that offers 15% more than anyone else. I worry about the Nationals a little as far as the money stand point goes. I wish their was a leaked report regarding a stronger Orioles offer. The first Nationals offer was 9/180, I doubt their next offer went down.

Yeah, but it seems McPhail doesn't want to get used by having his offer be public. That's when Boras starts pitting teams in a bidding war that might not even exist. He had the Dodgers thinking other teams had better offers for Kevin Brown and they out-bidden themselves.

It's a tough call. I'm of the opinion that the O's would match that, at least, but who knows. You might as well offer the guy 10 years if you're the O's. I mean by that time he might be a bargain. :laughlol: Or at least hopefully he's helped the team win enough to help pay for himself.

The question for me is what are we expecting Teixeira to represent? Markakis and Roberts are good team players and either would be good choices to be the face of the Orioles. Markakis would be a better choice due to his youth. Teixeira is from Maryland AND is a likely All-Star for the next 5+ years.

The Orioles need Teixeira to prove to other players that we can land the top guy. If we lose Mark (Who has ties to this team) to a team like Boston, it gives free agents, media outlets, and other organizations another opportunity to laugh at us. No team has fallen from greatness more than the Orioles. The 1966-1983 Orioles were a model franchise. From 1966-1971 there wasn't a better team in the game. We may not have many Hall of Famers, but our group is stronger than most. We need to be relevant again and if that means bidding on a guy like Teixeira than so be it. I would rather the Orioles give $23 Million per to Mark than $18-$20 Million for the next yahoo who signs here because the money is good.

Yeah, but it seems McPhail doesn't want to get used by having his offer be public. That's when Boras starts pitting teams in a bidding war that might not even exist. He had the Dodgers thinking other teams had better offers for Kevin Brown and they out-bidden themselves.

I know AM doesn't want to get used, but he could get used without telling the media what the offer is. If the Orioles are going to lose Teixeira to Boston, then make him REAL expensive.

Honestly- I think you guys are crazy for thinking he might go to the Nats. I'll be happy to eat crow if it happens, but there is just not way in hell I can see him going there. He's going to be well set for life anyway- he knows that. It comes down the the hometown angle coupled with his childhood team versus the winning now angle. The Nationals can't offer EITHER. I really really don't think he is seriously considering them... no way. Yes, they are close to his hometown, but as everyone has said, if the money is remotely close- he'd go with the orioles over the Nationals.

This isnt just about signing a great player. Its about the Oriole franchise becoming relevant again. Well said. This week one of the games major players told me personally that no none wanted to sign with Balti ore because they are a franchise without a plan and without the ability to"step up". No matter what, if we sign Tex, it sends a message that wea re a team to reckon with both on the field and at the bargaining table.I want to see this deal get done.

Completely agree, imagine what message it will send to Brian Roberts and Nick Markakis, a message of a plan!:clap3:

This isnt just about signing a great player. Its about the Oriole franchise becoming relevant again. Well said. This week one of the games major players told me personally that no none wanted to sign with Balti ore because they are a franchise without a plan and without the ability to"step up". No matter what, if we sign Tex, it sends a message that wea re a team to reckon with both on the field and at the bargaining table.I want to see this deal get done.

Well Roy, you should have corrected this player and told him since PA has handed AM control of the team, the team does have a definite plan and that time will prove it out. Rome wasn't built in a day. This franchise was long in need of repair and I, for one, think AM is doing a very good job of repairing the damage done to our farm system and is very close (2-3 years) away from building this team to a respectable franchise that can compete for years to come.

Honestly- I think you guys are crazy for thinking he might go to the Nats. I'll be happy to eat crow if it happens, but there is just not way in hell I can see him going there. He's going to be well set for life anyway- he knows that. It comes down the the hometown angle coupled with his childhood team versus the winning now angle. The Nationals can't offer EITHER. I really really don't think he is seriously considering them... no way. Yes, they are close to his hometown, but as everyone has said, if the money is remotely close- he'd go with the orioles over the Nationals.

I like how we find ways as fans to discredit him playing in Boston due to his wanting to be close to home. We then discredit the Nationals who are close to home by his wanting to play for the team he idolized as a boy. When in reality, no one outside of Mark, his family, and Boras knows where he will sign. I want Mark and I think he signs with us or the Red Sox, but discrediting the Nationals because they are new and bad is not much of an argument when we are established and bad. :laughlol::rofl::laughlol:

Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner.

Man, these Left Coast Oriole fans are incredibly intelligent. ;)

I like how we find ways as fans to discredit him playing in Boston due to his wanting to be close to home. We then discredit the Nationals who are close to home by his wanting to play for the team he idolized as a boy. When in reality, no one outside of Mark, his family, and Boras knows where he will sign. I want Mark and I think he signs with us or the Red Sox, but discrediting the Nationals because they are new and bad is not much of an argument when we are established and bad. :laughlol::rofl::laughlol:

I discredit them because they don't have a fan base and have no talent to build around Teixeira. Why are they willing to give so much to him, but weren't willing to shell out money for their first round draft pick Aaron Crow who they eventually lost. But you make a good point.

:eek: Roy freakin' Firestone! :D Your word is the Oriole gospel. Your the man Roy, I have all your books. And a lock of hair. And an old pair of shoes.. Just kidding. :D But I really do have your books.

Yeah, I'm thinking that he is actually using the Gnats to run up the price. People seem to think they are using Balmur to run up the price.. Not so sure about that.

I completely disagree. MOst can agree that the ONLY reason he is considering the Orioles is because he grew up loving the Orioles and idolizing Cal Ripken. EVERY player of his caliber has the money offers and the chance to go to a winner. I am not trying to smash or disrespect the Nats either when I say that. Call it a hunch or an inference based on what I've heard and read- but I just don't see him seriously considering the Nats.

At this point, I should use the "hometown" angle slightly- because I really think it's more about his "hometown team" than "hometown." If this was simply about the money- which clearly is pretty much the only angle Washington has a chance to edge out Baltimore or Boston- then why is it still going? Tex wants to maximize his money (the Nats help up the price)- and preferably play "home" for the Birds, or for a winner, in the Red Sox.

I'm not blindly writing off the Nats, I just really don't see it. He wouldn't be the same hometown hero" he would be in Baltimore.

Archived