Richie Martin could be promoted any day now

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Cardinals option DeJong.  He has been bad but was really good not long ago.  See if they will eat some of the deal or send you back a good prospect and trade for him. 

See if a change of scenery helps.

Elias isn’t that creative 

40 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think that's obvious at all, which speaks more to what I think about Martin than Owings.   I think Owings certainly has shown more power in his career (though not much power), and overall hitting right now they're probably even.  Martin is faster and probably the better overall fielder.

Neither of them are good.  If people really want Martin to come up and replace Owings that's fine, but that's like worrying about who the 3rd string catcher is as far as I'm concerned.

I think this is certainly a fair take. I would prefer we see Martin because Owings won't be part of a winning Orioles team in the future (I'm 99% sure Martin won't be either, but that's neither here nor there), but I'm not all that concerned either way. 

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Cardinals option DeJong.  He has been bad but was really good not long ago.  See if they will eat some of the deal or send you back a good prospect and trade for him. 

See if a change of scenery helps.

So weirdly obsessed with DeJong lol. 

I’m not ready to hop on the Martin train after 94 PA, but if he sustains an .800ish OPS over 200 PA I’ll get interested.   He’s certainly looking better at Norfolk this year than he did last year.   He could still earn another look, even though he’s been pretty terrible in his big league time so far.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not ready to hop on the Martin train after 94 PA, but if he sustains an .800ish OPS over 200 PA I’ll get interested.   He’s certainly looking better at Norfolk this year than he did last year.   He could still earn another look, even though he’s been pretty terrible in his big league time so far.   

And a good spring. You prefer Owings over Martin?

4 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

And a good spring. You prefer Owings over Martin?

I just want Martin to prove he can hit decently in AAA.    I don’t like Owings at all.   I didn’t like the version we’ve seen of Martin prior to this year either.   I’m happy to jettison Owings but I wouldn’t promote Martin just yet.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I just want Martin to prove he can hit decently in AAA.    I don’t like Owings at all.   I didn’t like the version we’ve seen of Martin prior to this year either.   I’m happy to jettison Owings but I wouldn’t promote Martin just yet.   

Where is Ryan Flaherty?:)

IMO, I think Richie Martin gets some attention and love on here because he was a former first round pick by an organization who knows what they're doing.  And then we got him in the Rule 5 draft so it's like people want to cling to the idea that he might be able to turn himself into something. 

Getting a player for next to nothing when another organization (especially a smart one like the A's) casts them off and having that player turn into something is, like, the OH collective wet dream.  

That, and he's an athletic looking dude.  6 feet, 190, looks like he should be able to be fast and agile, probably cover a lot of ground in the infield.  

I think those are the reasons people are still willing to give him a chance, as silly as they are.  IMO, he's nothing more than a backup infielder.  But I don't really understand the reasons for thinking that he can develop into more than what he's shown to be.

The only way I can see Richie back in Baltimore any time soon is if Mateo goes on the 60 day IL, and they bring him in to start and play 5-6 days a week. He never got the developmental reps he needs, though he might this year. Not a big story for me, as I think Mateo is a far better player than Richie is.

That doesn’t mean I am not happy for Richie doing well in Norfolk. 

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think those are the reasons people are still willing to give him a chance, as silly as they are.  IMO, he's nothing more than a backup infielder.  But I don't really understand the reasons for thinking that he can develop into more than what he's shown to be.

Only because he’s hitting better than he has in the past.   I remember when we got him, the story was he was a great fielder but historically hadn’t hit well until he realized he had a vision problem and got glasses, following which he had a decent year in AA.   We took him and he had to skip AAA, and he was completely overmatched as a major league hitter in ‘19.   He missed ‘20 with a broken wrist, and missed some of ‘21 too breaking the other wrist IIRC.   He wasn’t impressive when he returned, and we dropped him from the 40 man roster and he went unclaimed.  But now for whatever reason he’s looked better with the bat, including showing a little power, something he’s never shown before.  So, I haven’t completely written him off.   I’m not expecting him to succeed, but stranger things have happened.   

PS - We really haven’t seen the defense we expected, either.   So that’s another issue.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Only because he’s hitting better than he has in the past.   I remember when we got him, the story was he was a great fielder but historically hadn’t hit well until he realized he had a vision problem and got glasses, following which he had a decent year in AA.   We took him and he had to skip AAA, and he was completely overmatched as a major league hitter in ‘19.   He missed ‘20 with a broken wrist, and missed some of ‘21 too breaking the other wrist IIRC.   He wasn’t impressive when he returned, and we dropped him from the 40 man roster and he went unclaimed.  But now for whatever reason he’s looked better with the bat, including showing a little power, something he’s never shown before.  So, I haven’t completely written him off.   I’m not expecting him to succeed, but stranger things have happened.   

PS - We really haven’t seen the defense we expected, either.   So that’s another issue.  

Good call.  Forgot about the eye issues.  

It seems so obvious to get ballplayers vision checked.  Carlos Rogers was a mediocre cornerback for the Redskins, he dropped several interceptions including one in a playoff game against the Seahawks that should have been a pick six.

He goes to the 49ers, the first thing they do is get his vision checked and find out that he needs glasses/goggles.  Fixes the interception issue, leads the league next year in picks.

If i ever own/manage a sports team, getting all the players through an eye exam is on the list of things to do.