Richie Martin could be promoted any day now

wildcard

Martins hands at SS aren't good enough to make up for the weak bat. His exit velocities were among the lowest in baseball in '19. So he needs to bring one or the other and isnt really bringing either. I guess an injury to Mateo would get him called up though. Starting SS in AAA has its perks and thats the main one. You're only an injury away.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Martins hands at SS aren't good enough to make up for the weak bat. His exit velocities were among the lowest in baseball in '19. So he needs to bring one or the other and isnt really bringing either. I guess an injury to Mateo would get him called up though. Starting SS in AAA has its perks and thats the main one. You're only an injury away.

I don't have much evidence to back this up other than he's made some swing changes since '19 and looked like a different hitter in spring training (and in AAA so far), but I feel pretty strongly that his batted ball profile would be much better in '22 than '19. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't have much evidence to back this up other than he's made some swing changes since '19 and looked like a different hitter in spring training (and in AAA so far), but I feel pretty strongly that his batted ball profile would be much better in '22 than '19. 

It's also possible that he's been putting game balls in a dehumidor. 

• Haha 1

This whole thread almost completely ignores the most pressing need the O's have.  Replacing Odor at 2B.   

I say almost because there was some discussion about putting Urias at 2B.   But there is one thing about Urias.   He is probably at least a 20 error per year infielder no matter where he is played.  2B/SS/3B.   He probably will hit which helps his case but he is not great  defensively anywhere.   I like Urias.  I believe he belongs on the team.   And I am sure Hyde will find spots to play him because Hyde loves moving players around.

Martin is sure handed.  He is not going to make many errors.  Has decent range at SS/2B.  Not Mateo range but decent.  And now he is hitting at AAA.   Good offense and defense could make him a good replacement at 2B.   He has been rated 60 arm, 60 field, 55 run.   That's better than any infielder on the O's but Mateo.   Do I know Martin is going to hit.  Nope.  But he deserves a chance because what he is currently doing at AAA shows development.

Martin's 2019 stats should not be a decision maker.  He has asked to make a jump from AA and he was not ready for the majors.   He was injured in 2020 and 2021.   Why was he DFA last November?  He broke his wrist twice in 2021.   No wonder he passed through waivers.

SG wants to promote Gunnar now.  Stop messing around and bring him up.  Well guess what.  That is not going to happen now.  Not without playing at AAA.  That is  a Elias non-starter.   Maybe if he keeps doing it in AAA he gets the call in August.  But not in May.  And that is what we talking about.

I love watching Mateo play.  Great arm and great range.  Great speed.    I don't know who plays SS when Gunnar is ready.  Gunnar will out hit Mateo but Gunnar can also play 3B.  There is time to figure that out.  Its not something that has be be solved today.

Most the thread is talking about getting rid of Owings.  It a popular topic on the OH. But not so much with Hyde/Elias.   They like that he can play anywhere but catcher and pitcher.   And really he is not the one that needs to be replaced.  Its Odor.  

I can see a mix of Martin, Urias and Nevin at 2B/3B.   Owings as a utility player.

I have explained why Martin should get a promotion.  It will not be enough for several of you.  But I think it could happen.  Martin up,  Odor DFA'd.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This whole thread almost completely ignores the most pressing need the O's have.  Replacing Odor at 2B.   

I say almost because there was some discussion about putting Urias at 2B.   But there is one thing about Urias.   He is probably at least a 20 error per year infielder no matter where he is played.  2B/SS/3B.   He probably will hit which helps his case but he is not great  defensively anywhere.   I like Urias.  I believe he belong on the team.   And I am sure Hyde will find spots to play him because Hyde loves moving players around.

Martin is sure handed.  He is not going to make many errors.  Has decent range at SS/2B.  Not Mateo range but decent.  And now he is hitting at AAA.   Good offense and defense could make him a good replacement at 2B.   He has been rated 60 arm, 60 field, 55 run.   That's better than any one of the O's but Mateo.   Do I know Martin is going to hit.  Nope.  But he deserves a chance because what he is currently doing at AAA show development.

Martin's 2019 stats should not be a decision maker.  He has asked to make a jump from AA and he was not ready for the majors.   He was injured in 2020 and 2021.   Why was he DFA last November?  He broke his wrist twice in 2021.   No wonder he passed through waivers.

SG wants to promote Gunnar now.  Stop messing around and bring him up.  Well guess what.  That is not going to happen now.  Not without playing at AAA.  That is  a Elias non-starter.   Maybe if he keeps doing it in AAA he gets the call in August.  But not in May.  And that is what we talking about.

I love watching Mateo play.  Great arm and great range.  Great speed.    I don't know who plays SS when Gunnar is ready.  Gunnar will out hit Mateo but Gunnar can also play 3B.  There is time to figure that now.  Its not something that has be be solved today.

Most the thread is talking about getting rid of Owings.  It a popular topic on the OH. But not so much with Hyde/Elias.   They like that he can play anywhere but catcher and pitcher.   And really he is not the one that needs to be replaced.  Its Odor.  

I can see a mix of Martin, Urias and Nevin at 2B/3B.   Owings as a utility player.

I have explained why Martin should get a promotion.  It will not be enough for several of you.  But I think it could happen.  Martin up,  Odor DFA'd.

I agree that Martin could/should be up soon, but for totally different reasons. I don't think Odor factors in at all, honestly. For me, it's all about Chris Owings, and now Urias's health. The pull of Odor's veteran left-handed bat (whether we as fans agree or not) is too strong for the O's right now. Owings is the weakest link on this roster, not Odor. Martin and Owings play all the same positions (2B, SS, 3B, OF), they bat from the same side, etc. So for me, if Martin makes it on the roster, it's at the expense of Owings or it's because Urias hits the IL. 

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

Wonder if this means Richie is on his way with Urias hitting the IL? Not sure.

Just tweeted by Roch:

"Urias said he should be fine in a day or 2. Some cramping around his ribs. No tests were recommended."

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I say almost because there was some discussion about putting Urias at 2B.   But there is one thing about Urias.   He is probably at least a 20 error per year infielder no matter where he is played.  2B/SS/3B.   He probably will hit which helps his case but he is not great  defensively anywhere.   I like Urias.  I believe he belongs on the team.   And I am sure Hyde will find spots to play him because Hyde loves moving players around.

Martin is sure handed.  He is not going to make many errors.  Has decent range at SS/2B.  Not Mateo range but decent.  And now he is hitting at AAA.   Good offense and defense could make him a good replacement at 2B.   He has been rated 60 arm, 60 field, 55 run.   That's better than any infielder on the O's but Mateo.   Do I know Martin is going to hit.  Nope.  But he deserves a chance because what he is currently doing at AAA shows development.

I love watching Mateo play.  Great arm and great range.  Great speed.    I don't know who plays SS when Gunnar is ready.  Gunnar will out hit Mateo but Gunnar can also play 3B.  There is time to figure that out.  Its not something that has be be solved today.

Urias should be the second baseman.  He doesn’t belong on the left side.