Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I LOVE how they are just "taking a break" from negotiations.

Right, a source says that the Orioles are "falling behind" and the report is that we are out of the negotiations

the Red Sox OWNER says "we won't be a factor" and they are "taking a break" and Tex will still go there.

Come on.

He may be an Oriole, he may not but frankly the bias towards the big markets has really been verified in the reporting of these negotiations. It has always been chalked up to the good ol' Baltimore inferiority complex but there is real bias in these reports.

I mean the Cashman has come out and said that Tex would be too expensive and it "wasn't [them]" that one-upped the sox. the Yankees have made ZERO public overtures towards Tex and yet they are being called likely to land him. Its as is the media WANTS the Yankees involved.

LOL The more things change, the more they stay the same with the media.:rolleyestf:

Which is why I find these reports laughable and 100% irrelevant.

Yeah, I was not one of those people.

I wanted to offer the max contract the organization thought they could offer, and still put a competetive team around him on Day 1 of FA, because I thought the organization had to understand where they were pereception wise.

Last summer I wanted to offer 6yrs $120M… by October I wanted to offer 8yrs $160M…….

Now I want to offer 8yrs $200M…

Frankly, I really think there is limited difference. Giving an additional 2 years, and an additional $5M per year to obtain marquee talent in their prime is not crazy.

It is doing what is necessary to obtain him.

I'd be a lot more comfortable if he was in more of an ARod situation (FA at 25 years of age) where his peak was still ahead of him and a majority of his contract would be in his prime years.

I guess my reluctance really boils down to that I don't think Teix is a special enough player to throw any kind of financial restraint out the window. It's just too much money for a ~.900 OPS 1b, even one who is excellent defensively. I know we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

The Yanks want Manny so that they can hold it over the Sox heads. They were going to jump in at the last minute to up the price if it looked like Tex was going to Boston. The Yanks don't care if he comes here, it wouldn't worry them.

Boston and New York are going to battle all off-season over FA.

LAA is already making moves in case they don't get Tex. Check out MLBTrade Rumors. It may be posturing... but...

I have been lurking in the shadows on this site for years but wanted to emerge to make 2 points.

I have a great deal of confidence in AM. I think he has us headed in the right direction. He is by no means a stupid man and I don't believe he would screw around with O's fans by pretending we are in the hunt. With that said, I'm sure he is aware of all the bids for Tex or at the very least he has heard all the rumors. With this knowledge in hand why has he not come out with the attitude we will not get Tex unless we are still very much in the hunt for him. At the very least if he felt we were completely out of the running he would be making noise trying to prepare the fans for the letdown. He has not down this because we are still very much in it, in my opinion.

Point #2 is it is common knowledge Tex wants to play close to home. Well what kind of home life would he have if he signed with the Nats. Can you imagine the cold shoulders he will receive from fans living in the middle of Oriole country and signing with the Nats. I can see him now at his favorite restaurant, ship jumping rat, party of one.

Also, I think it's clear that we upped our offer just based on the Red Sox pulling out.

This is not only is response to your post, but I wish people would stop characterizing this as the Red Sox pulling out.

Boras said Teixeira is now trying to eliminate teams as he nears making his decision.

“The Boston ownership was kind enough to request and travel to meet with Mark Teixeira. While it was a very positive meeting Mark was candid and advised he is in the process of making a decision and is now attempting to eliminate teams.” (Boras' e-mail)

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2008/12/19/boras-teixeira-trying-to-narrow-choices/

Apparently, the team in Boston was eliminated last night.

I have been lurking in the shadows on this site for years but wanted to emerge to make 2 points.

I have a great deal of confidence in AM. I think he has us headed in the right direction. He is by no means a stupid man and I don't believe he would screw around with O's fans by pretending we are in the hunt. With that said, I'm sure he is aware of all the bids for Tex or at the very least he has heard all the rumors. With this knowledge in hand why has he not come out with the attitude we will not get Tex unless we are still very much in the hunt for him. At the very least if he felt we were completely out of the running he would be making noise trying to prepare the fans for the letdown. He has not down this because we are still very much in it, in my opinion.

Point #2 is it is common knowledge Tex wants to play close to home. Well what kind of home life would he have if he signed with the Nats. Can you imagine the cold shoulders he will receive from fans living in the middle of Oriole country and signing with the Nats. I can see him now at his favorite restaurant, ship jumping rat, party of one.

It was ALWAYS about making sure PA paid him fairly.

So yesterday they were on the verge of signing and you believed it, today you hear they are out and you believe it.

My point is there is no reason to believe they are out of it.

When has anything we have heard the last few days actually been correct?

Them being on the "verge" was based on the sox team flying down to Texas.

them being out of it is based on a direct quote from the owner of the team.

One is speculation from ESPN, the other is directly from the horse's mouth. So there is a difference.

I held out hope that the verge of signing news was false, and you can check my posts last night. I think this new news holds more water because it's straight from Henry's mouth (or keyboard, I guess). All I'm saying is regardless of ANY news, it's clear we are still in the game. How much so, no one really knows. But we're not out of it, and there's no reason to believe we are. So I'm hopeful.

Please continue to be hopeful. I really want Tex to come here.

But is it not weird that Henry would send an email out that they are out of the Tex race?

That seems to me to be a giant yellow flag.

If they were really out of it, why say anything? Let the other teams keep bidding higher and higher.

I really think this is a bluff. I hope I am wrong but everything that has happened so far leads me to not trust what I hear.

Archived