Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

The ol' "Vlad just wouldn't come here" argument always got under my skin.:angryfire: Can you imagine where we would/would've been be with Vlad and DLee as opposed to Sosa and Raffy!?!? The whole Vlad fiasco actually brought me to the world of baseball message boards. People always forget that at one point during the negotiations Vlad's agent made a 6/90 counter so he would've come here-- for 90 milliion :cussing:

I wouldn' be so sure... If we said sure, I would have expected his agents to immediately shop that around to get someone to match it from a location where he wanted to pay. His behavior throughout the whole recruitment process screamed that he did not want to play in Baltimore.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old quote...

Nov. 21 - The Orioles continue to close in on Lee. GM Jim Beattie told ESPN's Jayson Stark of the Marlins, "Let's just say I know what they're looking for. We've got great young pitching. And that's big currency."

hahah What great young pitching? Daniel Cabrera?

I don't even remember, what was the Derek Lee thing. Failure to sign an extension, right?

I've been thinking about the various rumors I've been reading on here and the media reports. The latest rumors seem to be that the Orioles have the highest annual salary on the table... but not the highest total money. I've read Tex would sign with the O's for 8/170 (which would be about 21.4 plus 150)? Are the two sides battling over year 8?

Guest rochester
It has but it is going to come back on them sooner than later as that article states.

Tex will only get the winning part of what he is looking for in Boston, but as far as security and a place for his family, he'll only find that in Baltimore or Washington, but the Orioles have a better organization and will win quicker than the Nationals will.

So the Orioles are the best option in terms of a compromise on what he is looking for, and it's why he is going to choose them.

JTrea: I have pretty much been 100% behind you about the whole Tex debacle, but this I can not agree with. Baseball is a business for the players as much as the owners - if not, and Tex really wanted to come here then this would have been done a bit ago because the $$ out there is pretty darn good.

Emotionally I like the O's loyalty - but common sense wins. There is no way that players will not go to Boston because of a perceived business practice and we really can not argue their success, no matter how much it pains me to. It's funny I was a big Boston fan back in the Yaz days...now..arghhh:angryfire:

I've been thinking about the various rumors I've been reading on here and the media reports. The latest rumors seem to be that the Orioles have the highest annual salary on the table... but not the highest total money. I've read Tex would sign with the O's for 8/170 (which would be about 21.4 plus 150)? Are the two sides battling over year 8?

Hey I'm back! So, what have people been talking about? And where did you read that Tex would sign that offer with the O's?

One year might be a huge deal! Secondly god only knows if other teams are offering vesting options opt outs etc. I think the only one who knows whats going on is Boras and Tex. I am sick of sources.

Miggy begged to get out for years. Good riddance. I hear Houston wanted to move him earlier in the offseason.

All we're saying is that, in the end, Boston would not be the best place for Tex to land.

I'm sure you could make a valid case for Boston not being the best place for him (obviously I don't agree) but I don't think you can base that case on the Red Sox being big meanies who trade players who are on the downside of their career.

Every successful organization in sports does that. There is no other way.

I would argue that going to a team that will contend for a World Series each year would be a more desirable place to play than choosing a team that strives to keep their players as long as possible without regard to production.

One year might be a huge deal! Secondly god only knows if other teams are offering vesting options opt outs etc. I think the only one who knows whats going on is Boras and Tex. I am sick of sources.

There could be all kinds of issues other than vesting options / opt outs etc... I suspect based on previous contracts that Angelos has doled out that he's trying to defer at least a decent portion of the contract so while it may be the biggest $ amount per year it may not be the most lucrative per year when you take into account when the money is paid out.

Hey I'm back! So, what have people been talking about? And where did you read that Tex would sign that offer with the O's?

On the boards.. You never know what to believe but the Orioles are the oddball in the sense that they are the only ones with a 7 year deal on the table. We know it was 140-150 and Roch ascertained it worked out to $21.4 a year which is just higher than the Sox's 8/165-170 (21.25?). So that would sort of jive? I don't know... it's all speculation, right?

True, with that money he could have hired a language coach to teach both he and his mother English.

He might have done that if he couldn't get anyone to pay him similar money in a locale he was interested in. Then we'd have to wonder if he would have performed as well playing in a city he didn't want to be in.

There could be all kinds of issues other than vesting options / opt outs etc... I suspect based on previous contracts that Angelos has doled out that he's trying to defer at least a decent portion of the contract so while it may be the biggest $ amount per year it may not be the most lucrative per year when you take into account when the money is paid out.

Agreed! I just want this to be done one way or the other so we can make our next move. It will be interesting to see the whole deal when all is said and done.

I'm sure you could make a valid case that for Boston not being the best place for him (obviously I don't agree) but I don't think you can base that case on the Red Sox being big meanies who trade players who are on the downside of their career.

Every successful organization in sports does that. There is no other way.

I would argue that going to a team that will contend for a World Series each year would be a more desirable place to play than choosing a team that strives to keep their players as long as possible without regard to production.

What if you went to your hometown team and led them to that point? Look at our farm system, we are being built to compete with Theo's $100 million player development machine. With Tex in the middle of our lineup, 2010, 2011 don't look too bad.

There is a consistant track record of the Sox FO making players want to sign with the Sox at a discount and trading them to suit their needs when they want an upgrade. And as this article shows, players are starting to take notice...

Ok a couple of points here. First of all, could you explain how the Red Sox make players want to sign at a discount? Seriously, how can the team possibly force players into signing for less than they can get elsewhere?

Secondly, I haven't noticed that a lot of players either don't want to come to Boston nor do I see players leaving in great numbers. So, while I understand your hatred of all things Red Sox, you haven't made a very convincing case, I'm afraid.

You are missing my point... I'm not saying a player of ARod's caliber but a younger FA whose peak years are still ahead of him and who has more prime years to come than Teix does. Too many potential decline years if we're going 8-10 years.

I understood what you were saying. And you completely ignored my point that all the best young hitters are being locked up long term.

Please tell me who these younger, more talented hitters are who you think would be a better way to spend that kind of money, and when we will be able to sign them.

Archived