Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think the Sux would work a trade for Teagarden or Salty? Or am I just dreaming here? At least I think that's what Sux fan's would want...I'm probably mistaken.

No, ur correct. They have been trying to land one of the rangers catchers, but they want Buchholz and the Sox don't want to give him up.

I'm getting very excited about all this.

I think Boras was just trying to use everyone else to drive up the price the O's have to pay Tex.

Think about it. Peter is not smart, but he knows what Tex would mean. He probably also heard somewhere along the line it was Tex's goal to play for the O's, it's right in his hometown, and no one wnats to be a Gnat. We put the "lowest" offer out there (which is still better than the Nats) because we're confident he definitely wants to play here.

The Angels figured out they were just being used and dropped out. The Red Sox said they were out. They may still have the largest $$ offer on the table, but you have to think that maybe the reason they said they were out despite this highest offer is because Boras laid out a ridiculous figure that it would take for them to get him, because he really wants to sign with the O's.

The Nats just don't threaten me. I don't think Peter will get outbid by them. They said themselves they don't expect to win.

Bigbird was probably hearing our offer was the lowest...but I think the pieces may be starting to fit together...I think we end up giving him 8/170-180 or something and getting this thing done.

Hope I'm right. If I'm wrong...same old, same old.

I'm getting very excited about all this.

I think Boras was just trying to use everyone else to drive up the price the O's have to pay Tex.

Think about it. Peter is not smart, but he knows what Tex would mean. He probably also heard somewhere along the line it was Tex's goal to play for the O's, it's right in his hometown, and no one wnats to be a Gnat. We put the "lowest" offer out there (which is still better than the Nats) because we're confident he definitely wants to play here.

The Angels figured out they were just being used and dropped out. The Red Sox said they were out. They may still have the largest $$ offer on the table, but you have to think that maybe the reason they said they were out despite this highest offer is because Boras laid out a ridiculous figure that it would take for them to get him, because he really wants to sign with the O's.

The Nats just don't threaten me. I don't think Peter will get outbid by them. They said themselves they don't expect to win.

Bigbird was probably hearing our offer was the lowest...but I think the pieces may be starting to fit together...I think we end up giving him 8/170-180 or something and getting this thing done.

Hope I'm right. If I'm wrong...same old, same old.

I know, its very exciting. I'm just trying very hard not to get my hopes up at all. I've done that before and been crushed. The last time the O's were winners I couldn't drive yet...I'm just going to remain cautiously optimistic, but won't be crushed or suprised if we don't land him.

So this has been discussed between the two clubs and pretty much won't happen because neither team will budge?

It could definately still happen, its just been put on hold because of all the Teixeira stuff. I think they'll end up dealing masterson or bowden + another prospect to get one of them.

I don't know if anyone has posted this or not...I think the part about the Sox is a little interesting...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-teixeira122108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Los Angeles Angels on Sunday afternoon withdrew their offer to free-agent slugger Mark Teixeira and do not intend to continue negotiations with his agent, according to a source close to the negotiations.

Believed to have offered about $160 million over eight seasons, the Angels became the second team in recent days to declare the price on Teixeira to be too steep. The Boston Red Sox reached a similar decision Thursday night after meeting with Teixeira and agent Scott Boras. Team owner John Henry issued a statement that concluded, “ … we are not going to be a factor,” though evidence suggests negotiations are not dead.

Sources close to the process said Angels owner Arte Moreno concluded that Teixeira did not intend to play for the Angels and that his team was being used to drive up the price for the other interested clubs.

Also, a source said the Red Sox have not spoken to Boras since Thursday night, when Henry issued his statement.

A source told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday that the Angels would not re-enter the bidding for Teixeira, whom they acquired from the Atlanta Braves at the trade deadline in July.

I don't know if anyone has posted this or not...I think the part about the Sox is a little interesting...

The Los Angeles Angels on Sunday afternoon withdrew their offer to free-agent slugger Mark Teixeira and do not intend to continue negotiations with his agent, according to a source close to the negotiations.

Believed to have offered about $160 million over eight seasons, the Angels became the second team in recent days to declare the price on Teixeira to be too steep. The Boston Red Sox reached a similar decision Thursday night after meeting with Teixeira and agent Scott Boras. Team owner John Henry issued a statement that concluded, “ … we are not going to be a factor,” though evidence suggests negotiations are not dead.

Sources close to the process said Angels owner Arte Moreno concluded that Teixeira did not intend to play for the Angels and that his team was being used to drive up the price for the other interested clubs.

Also, a source said the Red Sox have not spoken to Boras since Thursday night, when Henry issued his statement.

A source told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday that the Angels would not re-enter the bidding for Teixeira, whom they acquired from the Atlanta Braves at the trade deadline in July.

Ooooooold news

Yea, I wouldn't count out the Nats.

The Orioles still need to offer more money, if they haven't already.

It wouldn't shock me if an opt out clause stopped Tex from signing here though.

I just see the Orioles not being willing to do that.

That being said, you would figure that at this point, they would know about that and would have made a decision about that, so maybe it won't be a big deal.

The O's are probably taking the position they will not agree to an opt out clause, but, IMO, the real negotiation battle will be over the number of years before the opt out. Boras will want three, the O's will want more, perhaps 5, I would love to see a comrpomise at 4. In the end, isn't the opt out clause the O's best counter to Boras' and Sox' argument about playing for a winner?

It's basically us or Boston.

Look at it this way : Sources on here have mentioned the willingness to put a "wow" offer on the table. One would assume it hasn't been made yet, and may not have to BE made at all unless Teixeira comes back to the O's and says, "Improve your offer or I'm going to Boston."

I think we're in a very good spot, but frankly just like everyone else, I don't have the faintest idea about what's going on behind the scenes. This entire thing up to this point has basically been media speculation in terms of what the offers are.

What a circus!!!! Let it friggin' end already!!!!

Archived