Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

If Tex has some burning desire to be an Oriole like some here suggest, there is no way this thing would have dragged on this long....he would have signed long ago instead of trying to squeeze them like an orange for every last drop. I would still bet on Boston.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Tex has some burning desire to be an Oriole like some here suggest' date=' there is no way this thing would have dragged on this long....he would have signed long ago instead of trying to squeeze them like an orange for every last drop. I would still bet on Boston.[/quote']

He may want to be an Oriole, but he isn't stupid.

If dragging this out means another 4-5 million dollars, well then you drag it out a little bit.

If Tex has some burning desire to be an Oriole like some here suggest' date=' there is no way this thing would have dragged on this long....he would have signed long ago instead of trying to squeeze them like an orange for every last drop. I would still bet on Boston.[/quote']

I just don't think that is true. You can just as easily turn that around and say that if he really just wanted to play for a contender, he'd have signed with Boston by now, especially considering their owner and GM flew down to Texas last week to meet personally with Tex.

Sportscenter this morning mentioned that Manny doesn't plan on signing anywhere until After Tex signs so his market can fully develop but fully expects a three year deal from the Yankees.

They did not confirm or deny that Manny also demanded a football helmet filled with cottage cheese, a giant baby bottle, 67 copies of Moby Dick and an underwater drum kit.

I believe Yanks get Tex for 7yrs 160m and Manny for 3yrs 60m:mad::mad:

Unfortunately, I agree with you here (except I think they spend more than you think). I don't think the Yanks would have gotten into the bidding late if they weren't serious about signing him. And, when the Yanks are serious about signing someone, they don't screw around. They make a crazy offer, increase it if needed, and they get it done. If they didn't play to beta the 8/160 kind of offers that have been reportedly offered, they would turn their attention elsewhere. I think the Yanks sign Tex for 8/194 and Manny for 3/70.

I just don't think that is true. You can just as easily turn that around and say that if he really just wanted to play for a contender, he'd have signed with Boston by now, especially considering their owner and GM flew down to Texas last week to meet personally with Tex.

This is a good point. It kind of leads me to believe that he's in it for the most money, regardless of what team will pay it to him. It's kind of bothersome that it really comes down to that. At this point, he's going to be receiving more money than he will ever spend in his or his kids' lifetime.

The only other thing to consider is that maybe the Yankees have stated they'd be interested, but are waiting for it to get to the point that he's received all other offers. Could you see them spending the money on Sabathia, AJ, Manny, and Tex? Wow!

Unfortunately, I agree with you here (except I think they spend more than you think). I don't think the Yanks would have gotten into the bidding late if they weren't serious about signing him. And, when the Yanks are serious about signing someone, they don't screw around. They make a crazy offer, increase it if needed, and they get it done. If they didn't play to beta the 8/160 kind of offers that have been reportedly offered, they would turn their attention elsewhere. I think the Yanks sign Tex for 8/194 and Manny for 3/70.

I don't believe the Yankees are or ever were truly involved for Tex. Their interest in Tex consisted of Boras contacting NY to see if they'd like to drive up the bidding price.

I won't worry about them until they actually make a bid.

IMO, there is a little difference. If he really wanted to play for his "hometown team", he has on choice. If they make him a good offer, he takes it. if he really wants to play for a "contender", he has more of a decision to make since more than one team fall into that category.

From WNST - Drew's blog:

Trying to communicate with my Orioles’ confidant isn’t easy. Because no one at the Warehouse is allowed to speak with me (but some still do), I have to look for smoke signals and listen for sounds in the outback like Mick Dundee made in Crocodile Dundee 2.

I tried to reach out to my O’s contact on Sunday and didn’t get a reply. That’s not odd - sometimes my inquiries take hours to return, sometimes a day or two.

I’m pleased to report, though, that my most recent question has been returned.

The answer was brief, but potentially encouraging.

Me: “Any news on Tex?”

Bird in a tree: “Relax. All good.”

Three words. Nothing firm, but promising, to some degree. Relax. All Good.

Better than, “Not looking good right now.”

So that’s the update from my “associate” at the Warehouse.

The O’s, evidently, are still feeling good about their chances at landing Mark Teixeira.

I don't believe the Yankees are or ever were truly involved for Tex. Their interest in Tex consisted of Boras contacting NY to see if they'd like to drive up the bidding price.

I won't worry about them until they actually make a bid.

When it comes to a high priced "sexy" FA, the Yanks are always involved IMO...especially when he plays a position they currently have vacant.

From WNST - Drew's blog:

Trying to communicate with my Orioles’ confidant isn’t easy. Because no one at the Warehouse is allowed to speak with me (but some still do), I have to look for smoke signals and listen for sounds in the outback like Mick Dundee made in Crocodile Dundee 2.

I tried to reach out to my O’s contact on Sunday and didn’t get a reply. That’s not odd - sometimes my inquiries take hours to return, sometimes a day or two.

I’m pleased to report, though, that my most recent question has been returned.

The answer was brief, but potentially encouraging.

Me: “Any news on Tex?”

Bird in a tree: “Relax. All good.”

Three words. Nothing firm, but promising, to some degree. Relax. All Good.

Better than, “Not looking good right now.”

So that’s the update from my “associate” at the Warehouse.

The O’s, evidently, are still feeling good about their chances at landing Mark Teixeira.

Wow...I didn't know Drew's contact was Belkast! :laughlol:

IMO, there is a little difference. If he really wanted to play for his "hometown team", he has on choice. If they make him a good offer, he takes it. if he really wants to play for a "contender", he has more of a decision to make since more than one team fall into that category.

While that is true, if the Orioles are holding onto their best offer, and have yet to make it, then it would make sense that no decision has been made yet.

So it's Monday morning and still no signing, this is insane. The great thing is I had a bunch of things going on this weekend, so I didn't even have time to read over any of these rumors or news at all, and I didn't miss it all. This topic has been :deadhorse:, there is nothing left to be said about it. I look forward to this getting resolved so there will be new topics to discuss like what the lineup will look like with Tex in it, or how do we improve the lineup after missing out on Tex. There is also still the matter of improving the rotation...

Indeed Indeed! I too spent most of my weekend enjoying life away from OH and away from this now absurd Tex free agent drama. When I say "absurd", I refer stictly to the process of free agency. :rolleyes:

Yes, did some Xmas shopping, had some good eats, hit the gym, watched Blood Diamond last night, looking forward to a short work week to celebrate the holidays.

Wife and I are set to give out some hot meals to the homeless in DC on Xmas day! Now that is the spirit! :)

Oh, and Scott and Mark, come on, end this drama one way or the other and sign already!!!

Archived