Heston Kjerstad 2022

joelala

I'm thinking the Dylan Beavers draft pick is the contingency plan for Kjerstad. A big left handed bag will play well in this lineup and at Camden Yards. I'm expecting about a much of of Kjerstad as I am out of Yusniel Diaz - that is... not much.  I think Elias sees the same thing and that's where Beavers comes in. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2022 at 4:06 AM, Yossarian said:

I'm thinking the Dylan Beavers draft pick is the contingency plan for Kjerstad. A big left handed bag will play well in this lineup and at Camden Yards. I'm expecting about a much of of Kjerstad as I am out of Yusniel Diaz - that is... not much.  I think Elias sees the same thing and that's where Beavers comes in. 

I doubt it happens the way you say.  Hopefully, every draft pick is a contingency plan.   I strongly doubt that Kjerstad had anything to do with the selection of Beavers.   Of course, the draft was July 17 and Kjerstad was promoted to Aberdeen on July 13.  Pretty sure that .463 avg. at Delmarva was still fresh in everyone’s mind.   Beavers gets drafted whether Kjerstad looks like the #1 prospect or whether he struggles.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really think he's not at full strength.   At Delmarva and Aberdeen he's gone quite a bit to LF which is fine but not this much.   The ground ball rate is another thing.   The bat is a tick slow this year.    I noticed in ST, he wasn't as "built" as I expected.    I could be wrong but I don't think he had a full off-season of normal weight training last year.   At least, I hope that has a lot to do with his current difficulties.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Call me crazy, but I’m rooting for him to have a breakout year next year and push Stowers. There also maybe be a trade for pitching? 

Why would anyone call you crazy for that?  Haha.  We're all rooting for him.

I think you may see a big jump from him next year.  I'm convinced he's only about 70% of the player he was right now.  Give him a full offseason to fully start to get that strength back.

• Upvote 1

I have zero concerns about Kjerstad right now.

There is so much likely going on with him.  Tiring out, feeling weakness, etc…

I will judge him next year. 

I certainly agree the lack of power is something that you don’t want to see but there is just so much more to this…plus we know what Aberdeen can do to hitters.

I think he starts next year in AA.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have zero concerns about Kjerstad right now.

There is so much likely going on with him.  Tiring out, feeling weakness, etc…

I will judge him next year. 

I certainly agree the lack of power is something that you don’t want to see but there is just so much more to this…plus we know what Aberdeen can do to hitters.

I think he starts next year in AA.

A full, healthy off-season will hopefully do wonders for him. Mancini wore down in the second half last year, no reason to think Kjerstad isn't experiencing the same issue.

• Upvote 1