Mountcastle sure seems to like June

Frobby

25th in RBI's MLB-wide since his debut...tied with Bo Bichette today!    C'mon, you magnificent RBI beast.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2022&month=1000&season1=2020&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2020-08-21&enddate=2022-06-16&sort=7,d

BREAKING NEWS - career RBI's 146 and 147 elevate him another couple ticks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I guess my laptop and my iPhone are being tracked.  Because I was sitting on the throne a few minutes ago and this popped up on my Twitter feed:

And that is why he was my favorite player growing up.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

95% of the references to Mountcastle as a beast are likely mine.  I'm probably premature, but then I am the unofficial Prez of his unofficial fan club.  He lead all rookies in home runs last year and I'd be willing to bet he leads that same group in HR's again this year and that he exceeds last year's 33 dongs even with the LF wall moved back.  He's basically a second year player and if he isn't a "beast" he's becoming more beast like.   Also, I don't think he's anywhere near a finished product and I expect him to get better as he gets more ML experience without being bounced all over the field defensively.

Edit:  If Judge is the standard for being a beast, then there's only one beast in baseball today.

I don’t mean to be too hard on him.  After all, I started this thread to point out how hot he was.   I just have a high standard for declaring someone a beast.  Maybe he’ll meet it some day, but crossing the threshold of .800 OPS doesn’t qualify.  If he threatens .900 we can talk.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fastest by games played.  I think Manny had 138 homers by the time he was the age Mountcastle was yesterday.  Boog had 130.  Eddie  had at least 111.   Cal had around 108.   

Looks like the Orioles had some great players.

These last few posts made me think of Jim Traber.   He had 13 HR in 240 PA in his big 1986 (had had another 24 PA previously in a 1984 cup of coffee).

He was a 22nd round college bat about 24.5 years old (about same as Adley now, come to think of it) when he had his big run.

My 13-year old self may have overestimated his chances of filling a Hall of Famer's shoes.

19 hours ago, NCRaven said:

95% of the references to Mountcastle as a beast are likely mine.  I'm probably premature, but then I am the unofficial Prez of his unofficial fan club.  He lead all rookies in home runs last year and I'd be willing to bet he leads that same group in HR's again this year and that he exceeds last year's 33 dongs even with the LF wall moved back.  He's basically a second year player and if he isn't a "beast" he's becoming more beast like.   Also, I don't think he's anywhere near a finished product and I expect him to get better as he gets more ML experience without being bounced all over the field defensively.

Edit:  If Judge is the standard for being a beast, then there's only one beast in baseball today.

If you need a VP, I would like to be considered. I enjoy Mountcastle. He seems to really enjoy playing. He plays hard, runs everything out and is improving on his D at first base. He certainly has flaws...he has taken a beating here for years, for having no playable position and BS making a big deal about BB, a favorite mantra here. He attacks the ball. For those that point out that Boog, Manny, Cal, and Machado got to 50 quicker....3 of those players had no service time issues. So, it's Mountcastle's fault he's came up at a later age. I don't know how Mountcastle will "age", I will be pretty happy with 6 to 7 years of 30 or so HR's. He is also likely to be traded or elect free agency if he becomes too expensive. Enjoy him while we have him (there hasn't been much else to enjoy). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

If you need a VP, I would like to be considered. I enjoy Mountcastle. He seems to really enjoy playing. He plays hard, runs everything out and is improving on his D at first base. He certainly has flaws...he has taken a beating here for years, for having no playable position and BS making a big deal about BB, a favorite mantra here. He attacks the ball. For those that point out that Boog, Manny, Cal, and Machado got to 50 quicker....3 of those players had no service time issues. So, it's Mountcastle's fault he's came up at a later age. I don't know how Mountcastle will "age", I will be pretty happy with 6 to 7 years of 30 or so HR's. He is also likely to be traded or elect free agency if he becomes too expensive. Enjoy him while we have him (there hasn't been much else to enjoy). 

I don’t care about BB’s per se, but I do care about OBP.   Not making outs a high percentage of the time is important.  At a position where offense is very important, you need to be able to do more than just hit 30 homers.   You need to help the offense when you’re not hitting homers too.

Now, with that said, among 30 qualified 1B, Mountcastle is 23rd in OBP, 5th in SLG, 16th in wOBA.   Of those three stats, for me wOBA is by far the best measure of offense.   16th of 30 makes Mountcastle just about exactly average offensively for a 1B.   Considering that he started the season ice cold, and is still a young, developing player, I’m fine with that right now.   I’d just like to see him improve, just like I want all our players to improve and work on their weaknesses.  

My post about the other players who hit more homers by Mountcastle’s age wasn’t intended as a criticism of him.   I was just putting some context to his accomplishment of reaching 50 homers in the fewest games.   He’s certainly a powerful hitter and hopefully can even pick up his HR rate a bit more as he gains experience and matures as a hitter.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Now, with that said, among 30 qualified 1B, Mountcastle is 23rd in OBP, 5th in SLG, 16th in wOBA.   Of those three stats, for me wOBA is by far the best measure of offense.   16th of 30 makes Mountcastle just about exactly average offensively for a 1B.   Considering that he started the season ice cold, and is still a young, developing player, I’m fine with that right now.   I’d just like to see him improve, just like I want all our players to improve and work on their weaknesses.  

Mountcastle's savant page does not paint the picture of an average hitting 1B if you want to look at it that way. He's in the top 5-10% of all hitters in many important stats. Despite the lack of walks and the Ks, I'm pretty confident his bat will play at 1B because he just hits the ball so hard. He's also a better athlete than a lot of first basemen.