A couple of milestones (or at least stepping stones) in the rebuild

SteveA

Outside of the starting rotation, this team is legitimately good. It sucks that GrayRod went down. I like this offense better than any of the low OBP offenses of the 2012-2016 O's playoff teams, and that's before Stowers, Vavra, and perhaps Westburg join the major league roster.

If DL Hall can give us 3 good innings every 5 or so days starting in a week or two, and if we can somehow hold on until the end of next month, Elias is going to have to be a buyer for starting pitching at the trade deadline.

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles are 23-23 their last 46 games, their longest stretch of .500 ball since 2017.

The Orioles won their 29th game tonight, and are 29-37 after 66 games.   Last year they didn't win their 29th game until after the All Star Break, when they got to 29-62 in their 91st game.   In 2020 they didn't get to 29 wins in the shortened season.   In 2019 they didn't win their 29th game until after the All Star Break, when they got to 29-66 in their 95th game.   In 2018, the Orioles didn't win their 29th game until after the All Star Break, when they got to 29-73 in their 102th game.

Thank you for looking that up and posting it. That's very interesting.

Those are some really bad records. I'm just incredibly happy that they're playing great ball and being competitive doing it. The bullpen is phenomenal, I think at 3.11? Also the hitting by Hays this season and Mateo's glove have been so impressive. So many other things as well, but those two stand out to me.  

• Upvote 1

With some astonishment, i realized today, I'm enjoying watching this team after the drudgery of the last couple years.

The bullpen has been nails. Cool to watch Jorge thrive in the role, Bautista do his best Armando Benitez imitation and Cionel throw zeros while looking like a movie star narco-trafficante kingpin. 

Adley growing into the role is inspiring. A healthy Hays, watching Mateo channel his inner Ozzie, and Cedric continues to entertain.

Mix in Rodriguez, Hall, Westburg, Henderson, hopefully Stowers & Vavra, and suddenly my expectations become, well, actual expectations.

My icy heart is melting a little around the edges.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

On pace for 71 wins. Preseason I think most of us would have taken the under. 

Last season at this time our run differential was -82, this year it's -39. Not a contender but more competitive than we've seen in a long time.

Adley gets his first GWRBI and catches a shutout. Westburg and Henderson are mashing in AAA. Vavra looks like he can contribute any day. Hall is very exciting. Hopefully Grayson gets healthy and then the next wave of talent arrives. I really like the direction this is headed.

Grayson and John Means (unless you were talking only about this season)!

When I look at some of the setbacks this team has had, I’m very happy with where we are sitting right now.  Adley’s arrival delayed by injury, Means out for the year, Grayson’s arrival delayed until maybe next year.   The starting pitching is an adventure most nights, and the offense got off to a terrible start this season.  All things considered, I’ll gladly take 29-37.   

A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling like the dam was about to break; but now I’m feeling a bit more optimistic.  Starting pitching remains my constant worry. 

Our two biggest weaknesses among position players (SS & 3B) should be filled soon by our two best hitting prospects at AAA. This team is a couple of SP away from being very interesting this season. Which makes the Grayson and Means injuries suck even more. 

30 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Our two biggest weaknesses among position players (SS & 3B) should be filled soon by our two best hitting prospects at AAA. This team is a couple of SP away from being very interesting this season. Which makes the Grayson and Means injuries suck even more. 

I’m finding myself with mixed feelings about Mateo despite his weak bat.  His defense has been outstanding, and by WAR his overall contributions have been pretty good (1.4 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR).   I feel like he should be able to hit better, but by no means is he a good hitter.   But the longer the season goes, the more I think his defense is legitimately really good, not just a SSS anomaly.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m finding myself with mixed feelings about Mateo despite his weak bat.  His defense has been outstanding, and by WAR his overall contributions have been pretty good (1.4 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR).   I feel like he should be able to hit better, but by no means is he a good hitter.   But the longer the season goes, the more I think his defense is legitimately really good, not just a SSS anomaly.  

I think he’s somewhere in between a backup and an every day player. Probably in a utility role, but where he always plays SS and then Westburg/Henderson/Urias rotate around the IF. The opportunity should be there for him to start 3 times a week on average and be a defensive replacement in close games.

Agreed about his defense. It seems legit. He’s getting better at the routine plays and gaining confidence in himself. I just don’t see enough with the bat to think he can be an every day guy on a playoff team. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

If I were Elias, I'd be thinking seriously about drafting a college SP in one of the first couple rounds, or drafting Jones and trading him for an SP or two. Then I'd probably get a burner phone, call John and Lou Angelos, and ask each of them whether his refrigerator is running. 

19 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

If I were Elias, I'd be thinking seriously about drafting a college SP in one of the first couple rounds, or drafting Jones and trading him for an SP or two.  Then I'd probably get a burner phone, call John and Lou Angelos, and ask each of them whether his refrigerator is running. 

A team can’t trade the players it just drafted until after the end of the season.  It used to be after the one-year anniversary of the draft.