Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have put 8/184 on the table and made him say no to his childhood team and more money.

Fair enough, I agree with you. But we still would have made him one of the few players that make more than 20 million a year.

i don't think we necessarily low-balled him like some people are acting. I get the feeling that AM reeled Angelos in a bit and said that basically what he said in the Sun.

We might not like what Andy said, but I give him credit for coming out and saying that Tex was too expensive and paying that much was not part of the long-term plan.

Honestly, I really don't think Tex ever wanted to play here. I think we may have been a very distant third choice for him. I think that MacPhail and Angelos knew this going into any negotiations with him.

I truly believe the only way he was coming here is if the Yankees and Red Sox made little effort to sign him.

Agree 100%. I am more annoyed with the state of the sport I love than I am with the O's. Once everyone cools down, I think it will be obvious that a contract like that would have crippled this franchise for years. Pitching... pitching... pitching...

Okay, and Boras comes back and says that the Yankees have 9/207 on the table. Do you match that or are you content with making him say no to your 8/184 offer?

I agree with SG.. that would have been the WOW offer. If the Yankees come back with that insane deal then I understand. AM backs away, no hard feelings.

The fact that he thought 7/150 was the max he could go is ridiculous.

Look everyone is missing the point...

A New Hope: Rays made the playoffs

The Empire Strikes Back: Burnett, C.C. and Tex all sign with the Yankees

Does everyone know what's the next? The O's obviously will fire MacPhail (unless Angelos the Hutt hasnt already frozen him in carbonite (B-Rob : I dont want an extension, Andy: I know), hire Lando as the new GM who will sign like 20 Ewok's. Every single one of those Ewoks is a potential automatic walk. They'll have to pitch to Wieters, B-Rob, Jones and Markakis and we will score like 20 runs a game..which will lead to Brian Cashman throwing Hank Steinbrenner off a high walkway...

This is so obvious guys I dont know why you're worried/upset.

That post has dried my tears. Quality all the way.

It's up to him to confess... if he remains tight lipped after the fact, I assume it's his fault.

I just have a hard time believing that we will hear anything from the O's regarding the offer they made. I just don't know if we will ever hear what the final figure ended up being.

O's front office never wanted Tex! You should be glad that PA didn't get in the way, and that AM stuck to the plan.

Yeah adding a local boy superstar first baseman to the team would have been a disaster. :rolleyes:

The money the franchise is going to lose the next few years with a dwindling attendance and a team poised to lose 100 games with a joke of pitching staff will make the Tex contract not a bad investment when you look long term.

This team has been on life support with the city, the attendance has dropped consistantly the last few years and will be at an all time low this upcoming season.

Tex was the perfect chance for us to add a power bat at a position where we have zero depth without having to give up any young arms or a first round pick.

QFT... they'll give up on Cano (who will most likely be batting 9th all season long and target Brian Roberts.

In fact, 2010 might be a tad optimistic. We might be trading him to the Yankees in July.

I'm going to be shocked if Roberts is in O's camp in 2009 Spring Training

I hope the Yankees sign Manny, Lowe, Sheets, re-sign Giambi and Pettite.

Signing Manny and Lowe is all they need. As greedy as they are, they aren't going to sign Giambi to sit on the bench or Pettite to come out of the bullpen. There isn't enough room on the team for more.

Right, salary dumps, so we could go out and sign a difference maker.... Errr... yeah, see my point yet?

They weren't salary dumps.

Hernandez deal saves us maybe $2M when it is all said and done, but we still need to sign a catcher. We acquired two infield prospects that we needed in the minors.

Tejada brought a nice return of cheap talent.

What everyone fails to realize is that all of these young players are going to be hitting arbitration at the same time so we are going to have to pay them starting in 2009 and beyond.

Archived