Report - Teixera signs with Yankees

Skipjack33

When McPhail said his offer was flexible he probably meant he'd throw in a McDonalds Happy Meal or two with the contract.

O's fans everywhere should be dissapointed, this is a huge McFail.

But enough with the McDonald's references, I bet Angelos is fuming right now. I know I am.

I don't see us contending for a very very long time.

(If Ryan Freel and Tim Redding couldn't make their teams winners in their divisions, why would they turn us around in the AL East?)

I guess its time to switch over to a sport that actually cares about the fan base. I won't switch teams, but what's the point in supporting a team that doesn't return the feelings. It's like falling in love with your Carmen Electra poster.

Oh and as long as Angelos is owner, the Os dont take another cent from me, lest it be wasted on players like Ramon Hernandez. Forget this.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This came from Zrebiac's article earlier today.

I think AM did a terrible job in this but ultimately, it appeared that PA didn't step up to the plate himself.

Also, this backs up what i was told before..Apparently PA wanted Tex but was telling people he didn't want him as badly as people thought.

In other words, they liked him if they got a discount but not if they had to actually work for it.

Why on earth didn't we just drop out weeks ago? Why on earth didn't we just concentrate on other things?

To bad PA forget his Coupons.

Why on earth didn't we just drop out weeks ago? Why on earth didn't we just concentrate on other things?

Who says we havent? We are still hearing the rumblings about other players who are close to signing deals. Yes, these players arent the best, but they are still getting work done in the background.

Just because MacPhail doesnt say we are looking at player X, Y, Z, A, B, etc, doesnt mean we arent.

To me it now seems clear Tex wanted to be a Yankee all along, that's why Boras went after Cashman twice when the Yankees seemingly didn't have interest.

Tex wants to play 1B for the team his idol played for.

Unfortunately by doing so, he's alienated most of the population of the area where he grew up. Tex will find in time that it will be one of the biggest mistakes he's ever made...

So, Tex is a sellout because the Orioles prooved YET AGAIN, that they are a joke of a franchise?

He is a sell out because AM did a poor job in these negotiations?

He is a sell out because AM sat on his rear en and didn't aggressively pursue him?

Absolutely right on here.

Rob we talked a little about Boston really not being a place where Tex wanted to go.

This was the one player this franchise desperately needed. Year after year of hearing about geographical bias and confederate money. A superstar player from the area who was interested in playing here and we give him a lowball offer and don't follow up on it.

Disgusting.

In no way is this Tex's fault. Its not Boras's fault. Its not the Yanks fault.

Its the ORIOLES fault. Its MacPhail's fault, its Angelos's fault.

There were not even that many teams in the chase, the angels were never really a challenge since Tex wanted to play on the east coast, the redsox were not really an option since Tex and father had a dislike to them that goes back to when he was drafted out of high school. So its between us, the nats and the yanks who did the right thing and got a great player at a fair price.

Kudos to Mark, Boras and the yanks.

I hate the yanks but respect that they try and put a winning team on the field, not just give fans the run around.

Who says we havent? We are still hearing the rumblings about other players who are close to signing deals. Yes, these players arent the best, but they are still getting work done in the background.

Just because MacPhail doesnt say we are looking at player X, Y, Z, A, B, etc, doesnt mean we arent.

Yea, you are right...We are on the verge of Hendrickson! How could we forget. :rolleyes:

"We would have loved to have had the player, who appealed to us because of the special circumstances of where he's from and where we are. We diverted from our plan to try to get him," Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said. "But at the end of the day, it was just too much to pay for one player. It would handicap our ability to go forward."

BALTIMORE SUN

I don't even know what to say to that. God I am so mad right now.

I think AM did a terrible job in this but ultimately, it appeared that PA didn't step up to the plate himself.

Also, this backs up what i was told before..Apparently PA wanted Tex but was telling people he didn't want him as badly as people thought.

In other words, they liked him if they got a discount but not if they had to actually work for it.

Why on earth didn't we just drop out weeks ago? Why on earth didn't we just concentrate on other things?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you SG. The only thing is, absolutely nothing has happened with anyone else. Tex held up the entire market in an unbelievable way. So, at least we really didn't miss out on anyone during this period. Things should start to move now that he's signed, and hopefully we've been laying the groundwork for some stuff in the meantime.

This failure is more than just Teixeira. This says to me that we'll never spend money on a quality player, whether it's our own player or another free agent.

Whether you agreed with the money being tossed around or not, you have to pay to get quality players. That signing would have been an educated risk. You have to make risks in this business. If you're not willing to take a risk or spend the money, then you need to get out.

I'm in the minority but I completely agree with this. I have never been of the thinking that 23+M dollars for Tex was a good thing. He's a .900 OPS first baseman, there will be more of those. People speculating what the O's can afford or can't afford have never seen the books, its your opinion, and nothing more. We are facing a major recession, everyone is tightening their belts yet we expect others to be financially irresponsible? This economy is going to catch up to the MLB. I'm glad we didn't give him that much money.

Completely agree. To think otherwise is foolish and a simple knee jerk reaction. Sure, it's upsetting to loose something the fans have covetted for so long. But its one guy - a 1b at that. We have SO much to look forward to next year, I am very excited for '09 and beyond. Just think how sweet it will to beat the Yankees - even though Tex is from MD, he isn't and never was an O. I would much rather pull for a guy that came up through our system. People comparing him to Ripken in the past have really annoyed me!! Let's go O's! Stay possitive people.

To me it seems clear Tex wanted to be a Yankee all along, that's why Boras went after Cashman twice when the Yankees seemingly didn't have interest.

Tex wants to play 1B for the team his idol played for.

Unfortunately by doing so, he's alienated most of the population of the area where he grew up. Tex will find in time that it will be one of the biggest mistakes he's ever made...

How so?

Your silly threats are just that silly and getting old.

He got the money he should have gotten.

Just because the orioles front office is a joke don't take it out on Tex.

At least Tex gave us a chance to sign him.

I think all along we said it would only be clear whether a certain contract made sense based on the go-forward operating budget of the team. We were hoping Angelos was willing to expand it significantly, when in fact he was not. With that in mind, signing Tex may not have been the right thing, so its hard to blame Andy if that is the case. However, was can bash Angelos for not raising the operating budget to allow us to sign a potential hometown hero.

I really have a problem with Angelos, and I'll bite my tongue on the rest of my thoughts about him.

Archived