All the Right Moves

baltfan

In the past, Elias hasn't really seemed to make too many pickups at the big league level that have worked out, but we need to give him credit for this year. 

Lyles - 12th in AL in innings pitched.

Wells - switch to starter has made him our most reliable starter

Lopez - second best closer in the AL

Perez - 1.52 ERA

Krehbiel - 2.70 ERA

Voth - a couple of nice starts

Chirinos - huge improvement behind the plate vs. Severino.  Pitchers seem to love to throw to him.  Negative is the .544 OPS 

Odor - .629 OPS would be 8th among 2nd baseman ahead of Whit Merrifield if qualified.  Also multiple game-winning hits.

Misses

Baker - 5.16 ERA 

• Upvote 3

If we are going to label Voth a hit, we need to label Logan Allen a miss. I'd personally keep both off the list. 

Lyles has been as advertised. He's a innings eater, but also has nearly a 5 ERA, putting his ERA+ at 81. He hasn't exceeded my expectations, but he hasn't been a bust either. Chirinos is much the same. We expected a good defensive catcher with a suspect, but serviceable enough bat, but the bat has been even worse than I expected. Now some of that may be over-exposure. He's been much better here in June, but his 57 OPS+ overall is a far cry from his 98+ mark for his career. 

As for the bullpen, it's hard to deny that. He's done a great job finding diamonds in the rough there. I also like Mateo despite the offensive struggles. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If we are going to label Voth a hit, we need to label Logan Allen a miss. I'd personally keep both off the list. 

I don't see how Logan Allen is a miss, really. He can toil away at AAA all season for all I care. It's not like he's taking valuable time away from our copious pitching prospects.

It's kinda unfair on my part but IMO he can end up being a hit but can't really be a miss.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't even call Baker a miss yet and don't forget Mateo. 

Yeah Baker has been, at the very least, useful for chewing some middle relief innings. He has nice upside with the kind of stuff he has. Worth keeping around and seeing if he can improve his command a bit. Despite the ERA I sort of prefer watching him pitch to someone like Diplan, just because Baker has the more electric stuff. Also - there's really no one I'd option him for in AAA other than DL Hall. Baumann if he ever got on track. 

Mateo has been one of the best defensive shortstops in the league by a few different metrics and I don't view his ABs with nearly the disdain that I do of Ryan McKenna, who I am very eager to move on from. 

44 minutes ago, celery said:

I don't see how Logan Allen is a miss, really. He can toil away at AAA all season for all I care. It's not like he's taking valuable time away from our copious pitching prospects.

It's kinda unfair on my part but IMO he can end up being a hit but can't really be a miss.

It's a bit how we define hit and miss. Both Voth and Allen were picked up with little expectations as a bit of a crap shoot in hopes of finding some innings. I don't really define Allen as a miss either, but the point was I don't define Voth as a hit...at least not yet. If he's still in the rotation in a month with a mid-4 ERA, I'm in agreement, but I just don't think we've seen enough to categorize him as anything yet. 

I can’t bring myself to call Odor a good addition.

He’s had some big hits (random luck IMO) but also struck out plenty of times in big spots. He’s hitting under .200 and his plate discipline is terrible.  Defense is average at best. 

Overall most of Elias’s offseason acquisitions and reconfigurations have worked out to some extent but it’s hard to give him too much credit when we have giant holes in the rotation and automatic outs in the lineup at SS, 2B, and 3B. 

More could have been done without breaking the bank IMO and perhaps we’d be looking at a .500 team right now. The second half of the season is promising assuming they start calling up our top prospects from Norfolk and the return of Urias. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I can’t bring myself to call Odor a good addition.

He’s had some big hits (random luck IMO) but also struck out plenty of times in big spots. He’s hitting under .200 and his plate discipline is terrible.  Defense is average at best.

It seems to me that Odor's positive contributions are more of the team chemistry/morale type rather than  numbers. I agree in that, this alone, does not make him a good addition, but at least he's not been completely worthless. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

Chirinos - huge improvement behind the plate vs. Severino.  Pitchers seem to love to throw to him.  Negative is the .544 OPS 

Odor - .629 OPS would be 8th among 2nd baseman ahead of Whit Merrifield if qualified.  Also multiple game-winning hits.

I do like Chirinos, but note that Fangraphs thinks he’s a terrible framer and has him at -0.8 fWAR.

What list of 2B are you looking at?  When I look on Fangraphs, Odor’s .629 would be between 10th and 11th among AL 2B.  It really is a putrid year for AL 2B though — league average OPS is .651 and there are 6 teams under .600 at the position.   

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Moving the LF wall back was the right move. The division is stacked full of RH hitters. We have Adley, Gunnar, Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser, and Mullins. 

You don't do something like that based off of current lineups or prospects in the system.