Would you take Jones Jr at full slot (or close to it) or Termarr Johnson at $1.5M under slot?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was never a draft eligible prep player.

Fine.  I don’t think anyone called Johnson the best draft-eligible prep hitter in a decade.   They just said best hit tool for a prep player.   I’d say Harper’s was already there before he enrolled at a JC.   Hence the SI article.   

Neither. I’d go underslot for Brooks Lee. He fits the window of opportunity for the Orioles. Elias loves college bats and this kids hit tool is graded at 65, that’s elite. His defense is top tier and he could stick at third. Reminds me of Alex Bregman.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been hearing that there is a lack of good targets down the line in the draft to spend the savings on.

Also, Mets.

There's a lot of good college pitchers, many of them injured.  Maybe no elite starter types, but maybe quite a few middle of the rotation arms.  I mean, it's not like the O's need starting pitching.  A lot of these college arms would be available at the comp pick and 2nd round pick.  I don't know who would really qualify as an overslot.

I'll vote 'Maybe'.  It depends on how close they are on the 'board'.  While I think we should take the BPA, what if they LEGITIMATELY think there are multiple best players available?  A handful of years ago I worked for one of the largest law firms in my state, and we were hiring for a new position and we had two candidates we could not decide between.  On paper and interviews they were so close in quality our committee was split on which to offer the position.  In the end we offered the one whose salary range requirement was $5k less than the other.  And why not?  Sure, if the other candidate was superior, then money wasn't going to sway us in that direction as we wanted the most qualified person we could get.  But, if everything else is more or less equal, then money could certainly factor into the equation.  So yes, if we honestly have 2 players as 1A and 1B on our board, based on whatever non-monetary criteria we judge such a thing, then it makes sense to draft the one with the smaller price tag.

Again, this year I am NOT advocating taking a lesser talent to save money down the road.  I personally feel the days of needing/wanting to do that are now in the past and we should get the BPA.  If Jones is our #1, then take him, even if he's going to cost the full allotment.  I want us to take the #1 on our board, without money factoring into the decision.  But if there really is 2 (or even 3) guys who are seriously 1A, 1B and 1C on our draft board, then sure, take the cheaper one and spend the extra money somewhere else. 

The problem is, we will only hear 'this was the #1 guy on our board' whether that's true or not, and of course none of us will ever know the truth.  As with some of our recent first round picks, we always hear that the guy we picked was top of our board of what was left, but we can question if that's really true or not.  From what I've seen and read, I'm not sure there is a clear, no doubt, #1.  Jones seems to be the popular guy, top of most lists, but I've seen some lists where he isn't number 1.  I believe we will take one of Jones, Holliday, Green, Johnson or Lee, but just how the Os have those 5 ordered, who knows?  

No. No way in heck. Johnson is not a first round talent/not a premium position. All this board talks is savings like they are clipping coupons. Take the BPA and likely that is one of Jones, Holiday, Lee, Green or even Parada. Teams can go over their pool and people act like you can’t do that. We have cut the payroll the past 5 years to putrid levels, why not take those savings and go overslot in all rounds & pay the penalty over 5%? Because Orioles are cheap and embarrassing but it could be done.

All this nonsense on going underslot is a fabricated storyline like it’s a hard cap, it’s not.

So please spare me why we should take a 2nd in the first. Complete and utter nonsense, and why our org never gets better, fans don’t demand better, just complacency. 

8 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

No. No way in heck. Johnson is not a first round talent/not a premium position. All this board talks is savings like they are clipping coupons. Take the BPA and likely that is one of Jones, Holiday, Lee, Green or even Parada. Teams can go over their pool and people act like you can’t do that. We have cut the payroll the past 5 years to putrid levels, why not take those savings and go overslot in all rounds & pay the penalty over 5%? Because Orioles are cheap and embarrassing but it could be done.

All this nonsense on going underslot is a fabricated storyline like it’s a hard cap, it’s not.

So please spare me why we should take a 2nd in the first. Complete and utter nonsense, and why our org never gets better, fans don’t demand better, just complacency. 

You're not making sense.   Keith Law has Johnson ranked #3 overall.   Kiley McDaniel has him ranked #2 overall.     You say he's not a first round talent?   Based on what?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You're not making sense.   Keith Law has Johnson ranked #3 overall.   Kiley McDaniel has him ranked #2 overall.     You say he's not a first round talent?   Based on what?

Yeah... "Best prep hitter in decades" not a first rounder?   Gimme a break....

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It’s ridiculous.  Not saying we should take him, but he’s obviously in the conversation.  And if I read one more time that we shouldn’t take him because he’s likely to end up at 2B, my head may just explode!   Yeah, I’d just hate to have a 2B who puts up an .850 OPS every year!   That wouldn’t be useful at all!  Those guys grow on trees — every team has one!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't have a problem if it was Termarr Johnson.   However, my thought process would then by, why not just take Brooks Lee.   Lee's hit tool is just about he same but he's also faced tougher competition and hit over .400 in the Cape Cod league last summer.    He reportedly has a better arm and although neither is likely to stick at SS, it appears there are some who think it's possible with Lee.   Lee can also play 3B.   Lee is a SH and has pretty good power from the left side.

It just seems to me that if you want to go with Termarr that Lee is a more proven option for a similar skill set.

• Upvote 3