Brandon Hyde- Manager of the Future?

joelala

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There lies the problem with trying to win. You can’t just shuttle players in/out like you have a ST roster. I think the solution is to send down Watkins after his start tonight, regardless of results, because of the two off days coming up. That gives you an extra arm. 

Not a bad idea. Watkins would have to stay down for 10 days though.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder if they move Wells to the pen in the second half?  Could be a way of saving some of the arms down there and keeping his innings down.  Unless they just make him an opener?

If Wells pitches 3 innings every 5 days instead of 5-6 innings every 5 days I fail to see the logic on how that alone will help the bullpen.  Starters going longer will help the bullpen.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

If Wells pitches 3 innings every 5 days instead of 5-6 innings every 5 days I fail to see the logic on how that alone will help the bullpen.  Starters going longer will help the bullpen.  

If the offense would stop scoring when the team is on the road the bullpen won't hardly ever have to pitch in the 9th inning.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well I would assume if they remove him from the rotation or just make him an opener that they also bring up someone who can pitch 2-4 innings at a time as well..maybe Hall?  

Or if they move him to the pen, another starter (Harvey) is brought up.  

Harvey is going to become important in this regards it looks like.  They also may add a starter at the deadline.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He was throwing 100/101 last night with a devastating splitter. Got 4 outs, 3 via strikeout.  Bad play by Odor. Great player took him deep.  I disagree. 

It was a tough decision to put Bautista out there for the fourth time in five days, but I would’ve done the same thing.   And he looked none the worse for wear.  The Odor miscue (and then the presence of Semien dancing off 1B) clearly rattled him, but it didn’t seem to have anything to do with being tired.    

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He was throwing 100/101 last night with a devastating splitter. Got 4 outs, 3 via strikeout.  Bad play by Odor. Great player took him deep.  I disagree. 

I’m basing my opinion less on the results and more on what we knew going into the 9th. I didn’t like the decision. I don’t like 3 times in 4 days either. Gotta get these pitchers some rest or they’re gonna burn out. 

I love it when people say the pen is tired.  No one here is qualified to say that.  It’s just one of those made up things fans say because it sounds good.

The BP is simply not as good as the ERA shows.  They don’t miss enough bats or get enough Ks, so there will be games where they give up runs.  Things tend to even out over a long season.  It has nothing to do with a collective group of arms being tired.  It’s just that these guys aren’t going to all go through the year with sub 2.5 ERAs.  They just aren’t that good.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think Holt and Hyde will watch Wells closely for signs of overuse but I don't think they shut Wells down unless they see some overuse.   They will get him extra days rest.   He could get 130 IP if he continues to look strong.  Averaging 5 IP per start. Probably a 6 man rotation in Sept.

Hall is the one that gets shut down at 100 IP between the minors and majors.

JMO