2022 4th Round Pick (#107): Silas Ardoin - C - (Jr) University of Texas

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow …you’ve been a piece of work around the draft. Pardon me for having opinions that you don’t agree with.

Sorry.  But even if this kid is any good, you're not likely to see him for 3 years or so.   2 years if he blows up!   

I'm always a piece of work.  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He's a 4th round pick. He'll have to get better to be a MLer. No doubt.

I think this org really likes Maverick Handley as Adley's future backup.

I think this kid fits that Handley plus defense mold. Helps the pitchers in the minors and, if he hits enough, profiles as a future backup.

Then you hope something really clicks with the bat and he becomes a guy who can start in the majors, but that's not what I think's likely. Still, the offensive profile is good enough to make it at least seem possible.

I get it and I think we agree that he’s a long shot, but, I would’ve much rather taken Brock Porter than a spare parts back up catcher that looks like a long shot. Porter was ranked in the top 30 and perhaps their was sign ability issue. But, @RZNJI Will not believe he was the best available player…..maybe an overslot, cheap, position of where they feel they needed depth. But not BPA ….Period.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Sorry.  But even if this kid is any good, you're not likely to see him for 3 years or so.   2 years if he blows up!   

I'm always a piece of work.  Thank you.

Yes … he’s probably irrelevant. But, I adamantly disagree that he was the BPA. Maybe the cheapest, easiest, or whatever other reason they might have for getting him. 

I do not believe Elias employs a straight BPA approach after watching several of his drafts and we know money is absolutely a major factor in the Orioles decisions.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes … he’s probably irrelevant. But, I adamantly disagree that he was the BPA. Maybe the cheapest, easiest, or whatever other reason they might have for getting him. 

I do not believe Elias employs a straight BPA approach after watching several of his drafts and we know money is absolutely a major factor in the Orioles decisions.

I meant BPA not considering overslot types available at that pick.    I'm not sure why they would take a player that's #100 on their board in the 4th round if there's a player that's #75 on their board (unless they are trying to save money at that spot to pay someone more money at another spot) available but I guess anything is possible.

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I get it and I think we agree that he’s a long shot, but, I would’ve much rather taken Brock Porter than a spare parts back up catcher that looks like a long shot. Porter was ranked in the top 30 and perhaps their was sign ability issue. But, @RZNJI Will not believe he was the best available player…..maybe an overslot, cheap, position of where they feel they needed depth. But not BPA ….Period.

If you wanted Brock Porter, I think you're complaining about the wrong pick. 

Slot for this pick was $571,000. Porter agreed for $3.7 million, I think. Where does the other $3.1 million come from?

If the O's wanted Porter, they had to get him earlier and from a higher slot, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Getting the $3.1 million to take Porter would be rough. We'd basically have to save 500K on Holiday, spend the 800K 4.9% overage, 10K all our signings from rounds 5-10, underslot one of our other early picks by 400K and assume no one else in the first three rounds is getting anything overslot

43 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If you wanted Brock Porter, I think you're complaining about the wrong pick. 

Slot for this pick was $571,000. Porter agreed for $3.7 million, I think. Where does the other $3.1 million come from?

If the O's wanted Porter, they had to get him earlier and from a higher slot, IMO.

I think a few posters really don't understand the slotting system and pool money approach. The Orioles have spent all or the vast majority or their bonus pool every year. They just tend to spread it around a bit taking a few overslots here and there which mean sunder slots elsewhere.

This guy appears to be an underslot who could potentially end up as a back up catcher.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero chance this guy was BPA but that only means so much at that point.  They may have needed to go cheap there for something else later or earlier (I don’t believe we have seen that yet though).

This is possible but I hate the approach 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think a few posters really don't understand the slotting system and pool money approach. The Orioles have spent all or the vast majority or their bonus pool every year. They just tend to spread it around a bit taking a few overslots here and there which mean sunder slots elsewhere.

This guy appears to be an underslot who could potentially end up as a back up catcher.

Or more likely a AAAA player at best.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

An underslot catcher that makes it to AAA and maybe gets a cup of coffee in the majors?

You could do worse.

I said at best…I thin’ they could’ve done a lot better with that pick. Even if I don’t totally understand how the overslot/underslot game.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I said at best…I thin’ they could’ve done a lot better with that pick. Even if I don’t totally understand how the overslot/underslot game.

Sure, he might not get out of A ball.

My guess is he's probably an organization catcher that has an outside chance to make it to the majors.  He's probably underslot to help pay for a pick with higher upside.

Best case scenario he's Jonah Heim.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, he might not get out of A ball.

My guess is he's probably an organization catcher that has an outside chance to make it to the majors.  He's probably underslot to help pay for a pick with higher upside.

Best case scenario he's Jonah Heim.

Perhaps