2022 4th Round Pick (#107): Silas Ardoin - C - (Jr) University of Texas

If he makes the majors, he will be the first MLB player named "Silas" according to BB-Ref.   

Unless he's a $10K sign to free up money for an overslot pick later, I have to wonder about this pick.  My impression is that catch-and-throw backup catchers are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire; why use a high draft pick to get one?   

After giving $600K to Creed... maybe the Os realized your catchers can develop their own hit tools but the Orioles aren't capable of developing defensive tools.  Then again... simply stated, the Orioles don't develop their catchers.   They promoted Adley because of his offense (justified) and they signed 3 short time MLB catchers for AAA and have smothered all of the other catchers in their system splitting time equally.    Looking specifically at Roberts and Handley at AA.  They were a couple of the hottest guys getting left over AB's and split catching time and the O's didn't do anything to get them more AB's or move them.  Their recent struggles seem to suggest a loss of drive because performance for catchers doesn't get a move up.

I would love to see the trade Maverick Handley to the California Angels for a pitching prospect where he has a chance to be something other than a 'future back up'.  

Also gets him back out to CA so I can take my son to watch him play again.

• Confused 1

August 30th, 2006.  The 60-72 Orioles are playing the 68-66 Rangers at Ameriquest Field.  The teams battle back and forth, with the O's squandering a 4-0 early advantage as Anna Benson's husband tired after seven and Todd Williams and Chris Ray combine to cough up the lead in the 8th.

But the Orioles rally in the 10th after new waiver-wire acquisition Danny Ardoin comes in to replace Ramon Hernandez for defense in the 9th. With two out in the only frame of extras, Ardoin singles on a ground ball to left off former Oriole Rick Bauer, scoring Chris Gomez with an important insurance run. It would be his only hit and biggest highlight in his five-game Oriole career. It is not known if then five-year-old Silas Ardoin was watching.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

August 30th, 2006.  The 60-72 Orioles are playing the 68-66 Rangers at Ameriquest Field.  The teams battle back and forth, with the O's squandering a 4-0 early advantage as Anna Benson's husband tired after seven and Todd Williams and Chris Ray combine to cough up the lead in the 8th.

But the Orioles rally in the 10th after new waiver-wire acquisition Danny Ardoin comes in to replace Ramon Hernandez for defense in the 9th. With two out in the only frame of extras, Ardoin singles on a ground ball to left off former Oriole Rick Bauer, scoring Chris Gomez with an important insurance run. It would be his only hit and biggest highlight in his five-game Oriole career. It is not known if then five-year-old Silas Ardoin was watching.

Blood lines!  Hodo and Ardoin FTW!

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

2022 4th Round Pick (#107):  Silas Ardoin - C - (Jr) University of Texas

https://www.mlb.com/video/2022-draft-silas-ardoin-c?t=mlb-draft

Stats

Initial Take: Good defensive catcher with a questionable hit tool reeks of being an underslot. It will be interesting to hear what his signing bonus is because he seems like a similar player to Maverick Handley. Unless the team believes in his bat more than most, taking a backup catcher in the 4th round seems like a reach.

This pick feels like a pick for organizational need more than a pick based on a board.

I don't know, maybe the O's are seeing a guy who's a great defensive guy and hoping they can develop the hit tool, but it's hard for me to say I'd want him picked before several of the pitchers or upside high school position guys that were still on the board at the time.

I think it speaks to a draft plan that is not top heavy, meaning they don't fill the org with an 18th round senior catcher.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only reason you draft a guy like this in R4 is if you are trying to save money because you went big on the earlier picks.

The Os didn’t do that, so this pick makes little sense to me.

I think we need to see how the bonuses are handed out before drawing any conclusions. I don't see how this guy gets anywhere close to 4th round money unless for some reason the team is much higher on him than most. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Seems like a guy who did get a lot better with the bat this year over last. Many more home runs and doubles. OPS jumped 200 points. K/BB ratio close to 1. So maybe there is some offensive upside here even though his BA was only .271.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ardoin000sil

I am 100% down with a glove first backup catcher with enough power to jack out a few lucky dongs.

9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Seems like a guy who did get a lot better with the bat this year over last. Many more home runs and doubles. OPS jumped 200 points. K/BB ratio close to 1. So maybe there is some offensive upside here even though his BA was only .271.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ardoin000sil

I think this is a long shot to give us anything more than we are getting from Chirinos. He did approve to .271 after 2 poor seasons and his ops jumped. But, he’d still have to approve drastically to be a solid major leaguer. Not saying it isn’t possible….just not probable.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think this is a long shot to give us anything more than we are getting from Chirinos. He did approve to .271 after 2 poor seasons and his ops jumped. But, he’d still have to approve drastically to be a solid major leaguer. Not saying it isn’t possible….just not probable.

This has got nothing to do with Chirinos.   This is just about having depth at all positions in the minors.    We have Handley, this kid, Basallo much lower down.   Not much else.   I don't think they targeted a catcher here.   He's not an exciting pick but he probably, for whatever reason, was BPA on their board and surprise, surprise, they took him!!!!

He might have been in a group of names and they took him because he was a catcher.  That's possible.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He's a 4th round pick. He'll have to get better to be a MLer. No doubt.

I think this org really likes Maverick Handley as Adley's future backup.

I think this kid fits that Handley plus defense mold. Helps the pitchers in the minors and, if he hits enough, profiles as a future backup.

Then you hope something really clicks with the bat and he becomes a guy who can start in the majors, but that's not what I think's likely. Still, the offensive profile is good enough to make it at least seem possible.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This has got nothing to do with Chirinos.   This is just about having depth at all positions in the minors.    We have Handley, this kid, Basallo much lower down.   Not much else.   I don't think they targeted a catcher here.   He's not an exciting pick but he probably, for whatever reason, was BPA on their board and surprise, surprise, they took him!!!!

He might have been in a group of names and they took him because he was a catcher.  That's possible.

Wow …you’ve been a piece of work around the draft. Pardon me for having opinions that you don’t agree with.