Pundits grade the 2022 draft

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Nice write up.  His analysis on Fabian gives me more hope.  But the Wagner blurb raises more questions.  

Agree on the Wagner blurb. That's the first time I've seen his defense questioned so strongly. He was a defensive replacement in college and while he's probably not a gold glove there most seem to say he's solid or average at worst.

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Nice write up.  His analysis on Fabian gives me more hope.  But the Wagner blurb raises more questions.  

I thought that too about Wagner, but then he said that if he was a better defender he would have given him a first round grade. So, we’ll see what Max can do in the system. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I thought that too about Wagner, but then he said that if he was a better defender he would have given him a first round grade. So, we’ll see what Max can do in the system. 

1 hour ago, celery said:

Agree on the Wagner blurb. That's the first time I've seen his defense questioned so strongly. He was a defensive replacement in college and while he's probably not a gold glove there most seem to say he's solid or average at worst.

I was encouraged with the analyst's take that the O's hitting approach/pitch selectivity would likely be a good fit for both though.  But more encouraged for Fabian.  Hopefully these guys start reporting soon...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Why does he say that about every pitcher that has a 75-78 MPH curve that they need to add velocity to it? is that really true? 

A lot of time the CB is a chase/keep-them-honest-setup pitch.  So, the closer the MPH is to their other pitches (especially a slider), then it's tougher to react to as a hitter.  That said, spin/movement factors in as well.  A guy like our own Austin Voth has a league average CB speed, but he also has really good spin/movement.  

He did seem to appreciate many of our draftees CB regardless of the MPH though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I really like the Fabian pick where we got him / the $$. I was pretty surprised we like him for $3 million last year, but there's a ton of upside there. Above average CF defense with above average power is a great combination - especially since he seems to have a good approach. Obviously the hit tool could keep him from being an solid regular, but there are enough tools to make it worth the risk at that point in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I really like the Fabian pick where we got him / the $$. I was pretty surprised we like him for $3 million last year, but there's a ton of upside there. Above average CF defense with above average power is a great combination - especially since he seems to have a good approach. Obviously the hit tool could keep him from being an solid regular, but there are enough tools to make it worth the risk at that point in the draft. 

Fabian is fascinating, he can seemingly do everything except the single most important thing.

Can they fix it?

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

A lot of time the CB is a chase/keep-them-honest-setup pitch.  So, the closer the MPH is to their other pitches (especially a slider), then it's tougher to react to as a hitter.  That said, spin/movement factors in as well.  A guy like our own Austin Voth has a league average CB speed, but he also has really good spin/movement.  

He did seem to appreciate many of our draftees CB regardless of the MPH though.

Nice explanation. Additionally, the harder the CB, the later the break, and usually not as much of a breaker. Slower, big breakers can get hung and sent a long way into the night. Chris Tillman was an example of a guy whose high FB and CB mix was great for a time. When he threw the CB with good arm speed out of the same slot, it was difficult for the hitter to pick up.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of hard CB’s. Shoulder issues seem to follow guys with higher slots. I like the CB around 78-80 more as a show me pitch, but it has to be commanded. Look what Judge did to Kremer’s well hung CB. Yikes!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fabian is fascinating, he can seemingly do everything except the single most important thing.

Can they fix it?

I'd expect it to take a couple of years. 

2022: see what you've got. Offseason, work on things.

2023: go through the full year. More adjustments in the offseason.

2024: establish what he's really going to be as a player. Hopefully in the upper levels.

2025: Majors, if he's good enough.