Pundits grade the 2022 draft

This is just to collect links to where pundits have graded the 2022 team drafts.  

Bleacher Report gives the Orioles an A.  They gave out 6 A’s and one A+ (Rangers).  

Oddschecker.com  (who?) gave the O’s an A, one of 3 teams to receive one.

Please post others as you see them.  I’m only posting grades that evaluate the whole draft, not just our Round 1 pick. 

• Upvote 1

The Rangers tied $9 million into a pitcher with past elbow issues and coming off shoulder surgery and a high school pitcher. That's a lot of cash tied to risk. I don't know enough about the rest of their draft, but it's putting a lot of eggs in 2 baskets.

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I saw one Orioles fan on twitter calling Drew Jones the next Ken Griffey Jr. 😲 Some people seem to have lost their minds over Jones. 

I have zero issue preferring Jones over Holliday  but the people acting like Holliday is some bad pick are morons especially since the Os clearly rated Holliday at 1 on their board.

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I saw one Orioles fan on twitter calling Drew Jones the next Ken Griffey Jr. 😲 Some people seem to have lost their minds over Jones. 

I mean, they might be right.   One thing that’s pretty clear though is the O’s liked Holliday better.   It wasn’t a financial decision.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean, they might be right.   One thing that’s pretty clear though is the O’s liked Holliday better.   It wasn’t a financial decision.  

Griffey Jr? Come on. If you mean there's like a 0.0001% chance that Jones has a career similar to Griffey Jr, then maybe "might" is an accurate word. He's infinitely more likely to not even be an average major league player. 

22 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The maybe interesting thing is that Jones' floor is essentially Fabian. Plus CF, plus power, questionable hit 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Fabian is much more than a “questionable hit”.  That’s being very generous.  Jones’ hit tool is way better.

*we think* Jones' hit tool is way better. That's why I said it was Jones' floor, if it turns out his hit tool isn't as good as people think (remember he's never faced even college level pitching)  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, seak05 said:

*we think* Jones' hit tool is way better. That's why I said it was Jones' floor, if it turns out his hit tool isn't as good as people think (remember he's never faced even college level pitching)  

Neither has Holliday.  Let’s stop trying to bring down Jones to suit a narrative and let’s not try to make Fabian out to be better than he is to fit another narrative.

• Upvote 1

McDaniels thoughts on the draft:

I predictably liked what the Orioles did with their first six picks: position-player heavy and everyone drafted close to my ranking. Holliday was in the tightly packed group of three defensible No. 1 overall options, even though he was technically my third-ranked player. Beavers has a divisive hand pump in his swing but has growth markers and tools for the mid-first round if the O's can improve his timing. Wagner was a late popup with a 55 bat who might get to all of his fringy raw power and is a solid second or third baseman. The O's tried to get Fabian last year and landed their man this time, likely for less, as he was up-and-down this season but the tools are still there. McLean has Michael Lorenzen vibes with 80 raw power, a solid glove at third base and starter traits with above-average stuff; I think he's better as a pitcher long-term since it's a 20 or 30 grade bat. Ardoin is the son of a former big league catcher who is also likely to get a good bit of big league time.

Walters was a later flier who is unlikely to sign but was a solid third-rounder for me: 96-98 with plus characteristics, above-average off-speed stuff and solid command but probably relief only. Young is also unlikely to sign as he's set to be the everyday shortstop for LSU, but is a switch-hitter with plus raw power if he can get the contact elements to return. Bright is a solid utility righty with above-average stuff, Hodo has plus physical ability with some pitch selection concerns, Showalter is up to 96 mph with a good slider from a low slot but with a relief look, Johnson is a potentially quick-moving power middle relief type, and Firoved is another potential middle relief type with numbers-friendly, above-average stuff.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Griffey Jr? Come on. If you mean there's like a 0.0001% chance that Jones has a career similar to Griffey Jr, then maybe "might" is an accurate word. He's infinitely more likely to not even be an average major league player. 

Well, that is hyperbole, too.  The chances of a no. 1-2 pick being comparable to Griffey aren’t great, but they’re way better than .0001%.   And the chances of being less than an average major leaguer are significantly lower, but certainly not infinitely lower.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, that is hyperbole, too.  The chances of a no. 1-2 pick being comparable to Griffey aren’t great, but they’re way better than .0001%.   And the chances of being less than an average major leaguer are significantly lower, but certainly not infinitely lower.  

You got me. It should be something more like 0.8%. Griffey has the 36th highest WAR in the history of MLB and there have been just over 20,000 MLB players. So if I did my arithmetic correct Griffey had a better career than about 99.2% of all MLB players.