World Series Contenders?

Roll Tide

Hey, what's that old expression?  "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."  I'd be disappointed if he didn't think that.

That said, the team is not quite there yet.  It was a run ride against lesser competition but here we're back to the AL East and lost 3 of 4.  They're a lot better, a lot more competitive, but still too many holes, especially in the rotation.  Start bringing guys up to look to next year, determine how you're going to supplement the roster over the offseason to truly compete in 2023.

One target at a time. Let's catch Boston first. They looked like the Bad News Bosox last night: utter collapse. There were a good number of Blue Jays broken-bat and bloop hits, yes, but the Sox showed absolutely no ability to play like a major league team.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, LA2 said:

One target at a time. Let's catch Boston first. They looked like the Bad News Bosox last night: utter collapse. There were a good number of Blue Jays broken-bat and bloop hits, yes, but the Sox showed absolutely no ability to play like a major league team.

I was hoping they would take the record away from us last night, but alas. 

They didn't miss us by much, though... that still had to be in the top five worst single game beat downs of all time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I was hoping they would take the record away from us last night, but alas. 

They didn't miss us by much, though... that still had to be in the top five worst single game beat downs of all time.

Often forgotten parts of the Rangers brutal beat down.  1). It was immediately after announcing Trembly had his Interim tag removed.  2). The game was the first game of a double header.  3). The Orioles actually led 3-0 before giving up 30 unanswered.  

It is a record that will never be broken.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, LA2 said:

The OF who lost track of the ball over his head just stood there after he figured out it was behind him.  I would have been furious if I were Cora.  

That game really did look like a harbinger of a Red Sox collapse.   Actually, they were in free fall for about 15 games before the all star break.   Looks like the rest didn’t help them. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The OF who lost track of the ball over his head just stood there after he figured out it was behind him.  I would have been furious if I were Cora.  

That game really did look like a harbinger of a Red Sox collapse.   Actually, they were in free fall for about 15 games before the all star break.   Looks like the rest didn’t help them. 

The Red Sox seem like they no when they're not good enough to win it all and just throw in the towel on a season. I know it's not really like that, but they've put some pretty stinker type seasons together in-between WS runs.

25 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Often forgotten parts of the Rangers brutal beat down.  1). It was immediately after announcing Trembly had his Interim tag removed.  2). The game was the first game of a double header.  3). The Orioles actually led 3-0 before giving up 30 unanswered.  

It is a record that will never be broken.

#3 is a pretty amazing and funny tidbit. The second game was like 9-7 or something so a massive output all day long.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was one of the weirdest instances of giving-up I've ever seen. Yes, the left fielder eventually came over to get the ball on the warning track and Duran (the CFer) might have spotted him coming over before the camera did, but it was an awful long wait. I think he could have gotten there just as quickly.

Looking at the highlights, it was bad from the beginning. In the first inning, Eovaldi fielded a simple nubber near the mound and could have easily thrown Vlad Jr. out at home, but for some unknown reason tossed to first instead. Once the rout had commenced, there was a simple high pop-up in front of the plate that fell between the C, P, and 3rd baseman that they all thought someone else would catch; the Jays scored on it and Fenway roundly booed. Verdugo misplayed a carom off the Green Monster and then did some slow half-somersaulting on the field to coincide with the ball's roll. In the 9th inning, the SS waved his glove at a grounder and then did a weird combination of somewhat diving, pulling up, and falling down long after it had left the infield. It's all there on video at <https://www.mlb.com/gameday/blue-jays-vs-red-sox/2022/07/22/663222#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=663222>.

Bosox did hit four home runs, three off Gausman, but that was about it.

• Upvote 1

Anyone is a contender if you make the playoffs imo.  Do I think they would win it no but if you get in you never know even in some of the bad years we won series’s against top teams.   When you have a short series all it takes is a hot pitcher to give you a chance.  Madison Bumgarner basically carried the Giants who were probably a slightly above average team to World Series wins.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

#3 is a pretty amazing and funny tidbit. The second game was like 9-7 or something so a massive output all day long.

Right.  The box score from the day is literally full of unbelievable tidbits.  Through the middle innings of the 30-3 game we had like 4 pitchers give up 25 runs.  A

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

The Red Sox seem like they no when they're not good enough to win it all and just throw in the towel on a season. I know it's not really like that, but they've put some pretty stinker type seasons together in-between WS runs.

They should try pink caps for a week and see if that helps.

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Love the enthusiasm but not quite yet Jorge.

World Series? Sure!....  Here's how, (pause while I hit a bowl of hopeium).....

GRod gets health +8 potion, and debuts as 1984 Dwight Gooden

DL Hall finds the majors to his liking, draws favorable "better than Koufax" commentary

O's Brass decides "Let them throw innings"! and removes all artificial caps

Gunnar debuts as our 3B, starts peppering AL East outfield walls with lasers

Mateo's recent Jobu ritual with his bat becomes fastest growing religion in USA

Westburg / Vavra / Urias go all hunger games on the 2B job

Easy!

• Haha 1