Come so far but still a long way to go

vab

2 minutes ago, vab said:

Glad we’re playing the Yankees and Rays now. Really puts things in the proper perspective 

Yeah, we are definitely a lot better than most expected heading into this season, but still probably not a true contender just yet, even with the new bloated playoff format. 

Even so, it's incredibly exciting to think about where we might be this time next year with Grayrod, Gunnar, Stowers, Hall, etc. and a couple of solid FAs/trades. 

• Upvote 1

If I were the Yanks and Boston, I would be looking back over my shoulder at the Orioles.  Sorry Satchel Paige.   For the first time in years, I truly feel that the Orioles are on the right track,  playing with just a fraction of their  overall talent at the ML level.  No one can say how it will play out by, say next year at this time, but I expect 2023  to be a year that will let everyone know that they are a team to deal with, not just  one to beat up anymore.  That is, if the Minor League talent is promoted in good order and injuries pretty much, stay away.   It will have been a long time coming, but I believe they can say, at that point, here we are, beat us if you can.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tough game today but it doesn’t discourage me much.   The team has played well this month and I’m eager to see how they do the rest of the way.  

The past two series have brought me down to earth a bit, even though they've put up a good fight and lost some close games.  IMO, if this team wants to make a last wild card berth run, they need to be at .500 in the division and beat up on everyone else outside of it.  I think they can beat up on weak West and Central teams pretty well, but losing 2/3 in each of the past two series to the Rays and Yankees hurts.  And now the Rays are in town for 4.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The past two series have brought me down to earth a bit, even though they've put up a good fight and lost some close games.  IMO, if this team wants to make a last wild card berth run, they need to be at .500 in the division and beat up on everyone else outside of it.  I think they can beat up on weak West and Central teams pretty well, but losing 2/3 in each of the past two series to the Rays and Yankees hurts.  And now the Rays are in town for 4.  

I’m not too focused on making the playoffs.   I’d like to see us get back over .500, then I’ll worry about playoff position.  But I’m enjoying the ride.  

• Upvote 1

We’re about to be a team of slightly above average MLers at most positions. That puts us in playoff contention. We’re gonna need a FA SP in the offseason, and some guys to take a leap toward consistent All Star, to be legitimate World Series contenders. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not too focused on making the playoffs.   I’d like to see us get back over .500, then I’ll worry about playoff position.  But I’m enjoying the ride.  

Good points, I'd like to see us get back over .500 and stay there.  But as @waroriolenoted, that does put us in playoff contention.

Now, you and I (and a lot of the oldsters here, I don't think there's a lot of people under 30 on here) remember a time where even if you were a little over .500 that meant you weren't all that great.  But now with the way things have been expanded, it means you've got a shot.  Albeit a small one, but a shot.  

Like I said, I want to see us be .500 against our division from here on out, we need to be able to hang with these teams.

First game all July that we lost by more than 2 runs.   I wouldn't draw too many conclusions.

We are 2-4 in the 10 game TB/NY/TB stretch.   If we split with TB we would wind up 4-6, which would at least mean we were pretty competitive.   If they win the series we'll be 3-7 or worse.   If we win the series it will meant we went 5-5 in a 10 game stretch vs 2 of the top 3 teams in the AL, which would be pretty impressive.

I'll wait until about 4pm Thursday afternoon to draw too many conclusions.

The O's have no big bat that other teams fear. They have no ace. When is the last time a playoff team had no one in the lineup OPSing above 800?

This is an encouraging year for many reasons. The team has turned a corner IMO, at least the first corner towards competitiveness.  I'm most optimistic about the position prospects in the minors. Can't wait to see GRod and Hall, but we need much more pitching before we are a playoff team.

52 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

The O's have no big bat that other teams fear. They have no ace. When is the last time a playoff team had no one in the lineup OPSing above 800?

Todays hit outage notwithstanding, I've been appreciating the value of a balanced lineup, with most in the range of .730 to .780 OPS, where the daily contributions (and cold spells) get spread around. Hard to shut them all down (except today).

11 minutes ago, now said:

Todays hit outage notwithstanding, I've been appreciating the value of a balanced lineup, with most in the range of .730 to .780 OPS, where the daily contributions (and cold spells) get spread around. Hard to shut them all down (except today).

A balanced lineup with 730 to 780 OPS isn't gonna cut it. Besides, Mullins is barely above 700, and the bottom 3 were Nevin (578), Chirinos (509) and Mateo (615). Rutschman may be at 750ish, but Odor offsets that with his 650ish.

This team is definitely more interesting to watch this year, but it isn't a playoff team. Not from a batting order perspective at least. 

• Upvote 1