Come so far but still a long way to go

vab

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

A balanced lineup with 730 to 780 OPS isn't gonna cut it. Besides, Mullins is barely above 700, and the bottom 3 were Nevin (578), Chirinos (509) and Mateo (615). Rutschman may be at 750ish, but Odor offsets that with his 650ish.

Yeah, I was thinking of the previous day's lineup, with Odor and Santander (755) instead of the sub-600 duds.

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

I would like to see us finish over .500 but just out of the playoffs.  Then I'd like to see the lottery ball land in our favor with the 1-1 pick in 2023 (isn't that when they change the way draft order is determined)?

I just want the O's to finish ahead of the Red Sox.  Tired of finishing last every year.  Would be awesome to win the lotto too.

13 hours ago, vab said:

Glad we’re playing the Yankees and Rays now. Really puts things in the proper perspective with this trade deadline coming up. It will really be interesting to see how Elias plays this. 

I don’t think he was going to be fooled either way. With that said we were competitive in 2 out of 3 this weekend until the bats went silent. I’ve expected us to be sellers all along. 

6 hours ago, now said:

Yeah, I was thinking of the previous day's lineup, with Odor and Santander (755) instead of the sub-600 duds.

It's better with Santander, but it's still not enough. We need a masher above 900 and one or two in the 800s. 

I tend to like to think about it as would you swap (if you could just snap your fingers). So for instance, I think the Yankees would swap the non-judge part of the of for hays/mullins, but I’m not sure they take any IF (somewhat assuming carpenter/Stanton can split dh/1b). Trevino vs Adley is an interesting debate.

I would assume they might swap for one of our sp & that they would swap for several of the bullpen arms.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its a showdown with the Rays for the next 4 games.   Could be the season for the O's with the deadline coming soon.

For me, if they sweep, then I will start thinking yeah, go for it.   But if they lose 3/4 or get swept, then I am selling. 

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

For me, if they sweep, then I will start thinking yeah, go for it.   But if they lose 3/4 or get swept, then I am selling. 

While I understand what you are saying, I seriously doubt that Elias would let any 4 games wind up being such a major decision factor, just given the randomness of baseball.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Jagwar said:

A balanced lineup with 730 to 780 OPS isn't gonna cut it. Besides, Mullins is barely above 700, and the bottom 3 were Nevin (578), Chirinos (509) and Mateo (615). Rutschman may be at 750ish, but Odor offsets that with his 650ish.

This team is definitely more interesting to watch this year, but it isn't a playoff team. Not from a batting order perspective at least. 

The Orioles’ offense is okay.   They’ve been above average in runs per game during each of the last three months.  For July, they’re at 4.67 runs/game, compared to league average 4.63.  It is pretty balanced as offenses go, no huge stars but not as many big holes as many lineups.  

We’ll see how it goes from here.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles’ offense is okay.   They’ve been above average in runs per game during each of the last three months.  For July, they’re at 4.67 runs/game, compared to league average 4.63.  It is pretty balanced as offenses go, no huge stars but not as many big holes as many lineups.  

We’ll see how it goes from here.  

I'd still love a masher beast that other pitchers were afraid of. 

It's been a great season for growth so far and we're on schedule with the rebuild. Add at SP and BP and then call it an offseason. We'll see where Holliday is come start of next year and see if he gets fast tracked, and for god's sake put Henderson at 3B. Outside of that I like how everything is coming up. We'll be actually competing for a playoff spot next year and a WS in 2024 barring actual disaster.