Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

How's Santander going to be more valuable next year?  And how is Mullins more valuable this year than last year when he's not nearly as good?  

How is the fact that players are replaceable not a reason to trade them?  I have so many questions here.

Go look at the trade value thread that was just on the board.  Mullins is seen as more valuable now as oppossed to last August because he's fully established himself as an above average Ml CFer.

If Santander could do the same in regards to be a COF, and maintain health and performance anonther 12 months, he'll definitely have more value next year, and he still wouldn't be considered a rental.

Because I could replace my car today.  It doesn't mean I have to.  Is that really a difficult concept to grasp?

Just now, Pickles said:

Go look at the trade value thread that was just on the board.  Mullins is seen as more valuable now as oppossed to last August because he's fully established himself as an above average Ml CFer.

If Santander could do the same in regards to be a COF, and maintain health and performance anonther 12 months, he'll definitely have more value next year, and he still wouldn't be considered a rental.

Because I could replace my car today.  It doesn't mean I have to.  Is that really a difficult concept to grasp?

Maybe you should replace your car today.  It'd get you away from making posts on here for a few hours.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Mullins is seen as having more value by the fangraphs nerds.  That doesn’t mean it’s reality (btw, I think his value is high but that fangraphs article means nothing in the real world)

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Mullins is seen as having more value by the fangraphs nerds.  That doesn’t mean it’s reality (btw, I think his value is high but that fangraphs article means nothing in the real world)

Well, no, but ironically you agree with it.  And so do I.  That doesn't make it an indisputable fact of course.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He is a guy saying no to Snell partly because of durability and yet he tbh not Santander is someone to hang onto even though he has as bad, if not worse, durability issues.  I don’t think logic is part of this.  

He likes AS.  Ok.   But rationally, no GM(if budget wasn’t easy), would turn down AS for Snell if they had our prospects and long term outlook between the OF and pitching.

Yeah, you can't prop up durability issues for one player and ignore the other player's issues.  If @Picklescontinues to ignore that, then he's not interested in having an honest conversation.

I like Santander, too.  As someone who's historically hated the Orioles kinky obsession with Rule 5 guys with a passion, he's an exception.  But he's not a core guy, I'm not sure why anyone would think that he is.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is a guy saying no to Snell partly because of durability and yet he tbh not Santander is someone to hang onto even though he has as bad, if not worse, durability issues.  I don’t think logic is part of this.  

He likes AS.  Ok.   But rationally, no GM(if budget wasn’t easy), would turn down AS for Snell if they had our prospects and long term outlook between the OF and pitching.

You're not factoring in a few things.  Like the 20 million owed to Snell over the next 14 months.  And the fact that Santander has an extra year of team control.

The money is a huge part of this.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, you can't prop up durability issues for one player and ignore the other player's issues.  If @Picklescontinues to ignore that, then he's not interested in having an honest conversation.

I like Santander, too.  As someone who's historically hated the Orioles kinky obsession with Rule 5 guys with a passion, he's an exception.  But he's not a core guy, I'm not sure why anyone would think that he is.  

I'm not doing that at all.  I have at no point said Santander the greatest most durable thing ever.

I've pointed Snell makes a lot of money and is injured all the time.  That doesn't reflect on Santader.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You're not factoring in a few things.  Like the 20 million owed to Snell over the next 14 months.  And the fact that Santander has an extra year of team control.

The money is a huge part of this.

Why does the money matter?  The Os have no money on the books.  Snell is owed peanuts compared to his upside and even if he is just a 2ish WAR guy, he’s still fine.  

If he pitches 70 innings, sure it’s too much but again, so what?  Risks will have to be taken.