Is Mountcastle the guy to move?

bpilktree

At the beginning of the year or even halfway through the year I had have said he was least likely of the positional players to be traded.  Now I am starting to wonder if he is the guy that might be best option to move.  The Astros are wanting a 1B/DH and willing to give up a controllable starter for it.  Mountcastle is starting to look like he won’t get to the ceiling we had of him because of his lack of plate discipline.  He also looks like a very streaky hitter and has a hit stretch but then cold stretches longer then you would like.  It is tough to have a big bat in the middle that in a blink of an eye go completely cold and also doesn’t walk or get on base via walk much.  His defense although better seems to be average at best and he is destined for 1st.  I know we don’t currently have a 1st baseman in the minors but looking at the prospects we have and current roster we have Westburg, Urias, Mateo, Henderson, Varva for the other three infield positions.  Then you have Colby Mayo coming who is a big young power hitter coming.  I am starting to think it might be best organization wise to move him to first where there is an opening or at least make him a corner infielder that can play 1st and 3rd.  I know Mancini is the most likely guy on current roster to be moved but his return doesn’t seem to be as much.  Would it be better to keep Mancini this year and pick up his option which is bit expensive but you save the money on having to sign a free agent pitcher if you get one of the Astros controllable starters.  Mancini then can pass the baton to Mayo in 2024 assuming they don’t think Mayo injury series.  Would you trade Mountcastle for any of Javier/Uriqudy/Garcia/Valdez would Astros do it?  Elias knows that system well and knows those guys so he should be able to evaluate who he likes of those 4 as well which is a plus.  

I do really like this idea if the Astros would do it. I hadn’t really thought about it because I kind of pegged Mountcastle as the 1st baseman of the future after that rookie season, but that plate discipline is definitely something to worry about. Defensively, I did like the idea of an infield full of guys drafted as shortstops though. He’s a better fielder than Mancini, but if he can get us back a solid rotation piece I think it’s worth it. First base is usually a pretty easy position to fill with a guy who can hit, but can’t hack it anywhere else on the field. And keeping Mancini around would be nice for his veteran leadership. 

I'm his biggest fan but he's been really tough to watch lately.  Everyone gets cold but geez he's bad right now and the approach is very concerning.  I used to feel the same about Adam Jones but he played CF so well and was the team leader.  1B is easy to fill.  So, yeah, like anyone, if the right package was offered I'd take it.  They could easily put AR at 1B some nights or any number of guys.  Guess it comes down to what ME thinks about him.  Is he just having a sophomore slump?  Is his plate discipline something he can improve?  Is this just who/what he is and will be?

Why do teams employ hitting coaches?

We know Mountcastle can hit - presumably there can be changes made to his approach. They changed Mateo’s recently and with success. We’ve seen guys adjust swings and approaches over the years.

When starting with a guy that can mash I think the chances of success are pretty high that it can be fixed. They just drafted guys that have known swing issues that they are confident they can fix, so I think they must be optimistic about Ryan.

If he refuses to take advice (looking at you Chris Davis and Billy Rowell) that’s another story, but only the team knows that.

Mountcastle might be reading threads about him on this board and seeing the criticism about his lack of plate discipline. 

During his fourth AB last night, Brown remarked that it was the fourth time in the game that Mountcastle did not swing at the first pitch.

To me, Mountcastle has become the right-handed Luke Scott. He would have a pretty good hitting month followed by at least two months of practically being an automatic out.

I wouldn’t be opposed to it. A straight up Mountcastle for Urquidy trade seems fair. Mountcastle has an extra year of control but Urquidy is probably a bit more valuable. 

I don’t know if that would mean signing Mancini to an extension or not but if it did, I don’t think that’s a bad move assuming it’s not a dumb contract. But if you asked me if I preferred Mountcastle over the next four years or Urquidy and Mancini over the next three, I’d probably choose the latter even with the increased cost attached. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Apparently his defensive chops are much better than I thought they were. 

He drives me nuts because he’s got the patience and bat speed to be a big time hitter, but often he slips into what we’ve seen lately. 

When he gets hot again, though (and he will), he'll be able to help carry the offense. That's one of the reasons I'm bullish on this team making the playoffs. We've played great baseball over the past few weeks with Mountcastle, Mancini, AND Hays all being pretty cold. With Stowers, Westburg, and Henderson possibly being added at different times over the next 2 months (and with hopefully Odor getting the boot and Vavra getting actual playing time), I think our offense improves nicely overall.