Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

If he wasn't about to get TJ we wouldn't be getting nearly as good of a prospect in return. 

Two ways to look at it.  Elias is looking long term.  

Yep, I agree. the only reason Tampa let him go was because of the TJ surgery and the fact that they would have to protect him on the 40-man and he won't pitch next year. His change hadn't reportedly come around either so he does carry some reliever risk, but the Orioles have been good at teaching changeups.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a better return than I was expecting… I’d still rather have kept Mancini though. Trading Mancini and calling up Diaz is an indication to the team that we’re punting this season. McDermott looks like a guy that might be a future pen piece, but may also never make MLB. Johnson looks like a good prospect, but will be 25 by the time he pitches again, has never pitched above A+, and will be coming back from TJS. We’re only 3 games out in August, just completed a 16-9 month of July, and there’s a substantial chance that we punted our season for a pair of guys that never even make MLB.

Just now, oriolefan1035 said:

Looks like a better return than I was expecting… I’d still rather have kept Mancini though. Trading Mancini and calling up Diaz is an indication to the team that we’re punting this season. McDermott looks like a guy that might be a future pen piece, but may also never make MLB. Johnson looks like a good prospect, but will be 25 by the time he pitches again, has never pitched above A+, and will be coming back from TJS. We’re only 3 games out in August, just completed a 16-9 month of July, and there’s a substantial chance that we punted our season for a pair of guys that never even make MLB.

We'll see who all they trade, but this gross exaggeration about Mancini's value to us.  Trading Mancini isn't punting; it's more like running a draw on 3 and 4.  He was gone at the end of the year anyway.

Now if Santander and 2-3 Bp pieces go out the door, then yeah, they're punting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oriolefan1035 said:

You severely overrate Mancini if you think trading him and replacing him with Diaz (or more at bats for Vavra) equates to punting our season. This was a great trade, and we're starting to deploy and evaluate our minor league depth at the major league level. All these moves are very shrewd, but you can't see how they are.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Just Regular said:

If the O's staff can fix the walks, McDermott becomes a stud. I trust the organization to help McDermott fix his control issues. If we can fix Voth, we can fix almost anyone. Love this trade.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First of all, if we had to trade Trey, I’m glad he was traded to a team that’s a mortal lock to make the playoffs and has a legit chance to win a World Series.   If the O’s aren’t in it, I’ll be rooting for the Astros now.  

Second, I like the return.  I guess we have to protect Seth Johnson in the Rule 5 even though he may not pitch next year, which is a bit of a bummer.   But for a pitching-thin organization, this was a good move.   

You can bang on your trash can while you root for the Astros.

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You severely overrate Mancini if you think trading him and replacing him with Diaz (or more at bats for Vavra) equates to punting our season. This was a great trade, and we're starting to deploy and evaluate our minor league depth at the major league level. All these moves are very shrewd, but you can't see how they are.

It’s not a matter of not seeing it. The end goal is to contend at the MLB level, not just absorb prospects. We play in a division with juggernauts that will field competitive teams most every year, so even if we have a good team any given season, it may not be good enough. We’re already contending this year. You’re living in la la land if you think Diaz will outperform Mancini the rest of this year. This is the epitome of trading a bird in the hand for 2 in the bush.