Can Stowers put up a 751 OPS for the O's the rest of the season?

wildcard

That would replace Mancini offensively.   Or is that too much to ask? Can he do better?

I see  Diaz as being with the O's for a short time.   He has not earned the promotion.   He will probably sit the bench until he is replaced by Stowers.    I think Stowers will get at bats over Vavra because of Stowers power.   

What do you think?

I'm curious to see the Thursday off day processing of Trade Deadline results for the Pirates series.

The next 9 hours, the number of qualified Major Leaguers on the roster could drift up two or down two and I wouldn't be shocked.

All first half we've looked for a smooth Mancini-Stowers transition, but it could also be that Vavra gets a window somewhere else in the lineup as Odor keeps 2B, or that Vavra-Stowers are bypassed for Gunnar.

Yusniel Diaz might have a Moonlight Graham kind of MLB experience.

Can he?  Of course.  Will he?   Who knows?   Let's find out.   He certainly has the potential to do even better but we don't know what holes in his game will be exploited and to what extent or how fast he adjusts to ML pitching.    I suspect he'll eventually be a .800 OPS hitter or better once he settles in.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

That would replace Mancini offensively.   Or is that too much to ask? Can he do better?

I see  Diaz as being with the O's for a short time.   He has not earned the promotion.   He will probably sit the bench until he is replaced by Stowers.    I think Stowers will get at bats over Vavra because of Stowers power.   

What do you think?

I doubt it.  I would expect him to struggle initially and may not be enough of the season left once things start to click (hopefully) to end the year with a .751 OPS.

Stowers has the reputation of being a big swing and miss guy. 

It's not exactly true anymore.  He had a 31 percent strikeout rate last year between Double A and Triple A.  This year in 346 PA all in Norfolk his strikeout rate is down to 24 percent.  That is major league average.  Now maybe that percentage goes up at the big league level but the fact that the rate is going down as he progresses up the ladder in the minors is a positive sign. 

I think .235, .320, .500 isn't out of the question for Stowers once he gets acclimated to the big leagues.  Probably a similar bat to Anthony Santander with a little better speed/defense. 

As for whether or not he can put up a .750 OPS in 200 at bats in the majors this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he did and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.  Anything is possible in such a small sample size.  I think we'd all like to see him called up as soon as possible. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I understand that smaller maket teams like the O's are going to "game" top prospects service time, while never admitting it.  I don't see Stowers in that top prospect cetegory, so I can't understand why he's not promoted.

Because Elias reads this board and makes moves or non moves that upset the fanbase for his own amusement.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I understand that smaller maket teams like the O's are going to "game" top prospects service time, while never admitting it.  I don't see Stowers in that top prospect cetegory, so I can't understand why he's not promoted.

Aside from not being an uber prospect he's 24.5.  Not sure how valuable it is to get that age 31 season.  It's a big head scratcher that he's not up now to help the club in addition to getting valuable experience for 2023. 

I think Vavra is more likely to in the short term. The on base skills will probably translate immediately. I'm high on Stowers but I have a feeling he will struggle at first and strike out a ton before he figures things out. I'd rather have Vavra (playing 2B PLEASE) down the stretch.

21 minutes ago, celery said:

I think Vavra is more likely to in the short term. The on base skills will probably translate immediately. I'm high on Stowers but I have a feeling he will struggle at first and strike out a ton before he figures things out. I'd rather have Vavra (playing 2B PLEASE) down the stretch.

I'd rather see Stowers get called up now instead of having Brett Phillips on the team. Stowers can start adjusting to the MLB pitching these next two months and put himself in position to hit the ground running in 2023.