Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We know Santander can’t play in Toronto maybe Diaz can’t as well so they adding depth for the 6 games we have vs them. 🤷‍♂️

All Orioles are vaxxed now, they announced it a week or so ago, both Akin and Santander are good for Canadian adventures.

Edited by CharmCityHokie

4 minutes ago, csgordos said:

When did Dan Duquette and the dumpster diving return??  Did I miss that announcement. My fear is that turning a few players careers around this year has made our FO over optimistic in their ability to fix everyone’s “little” flaws. 

Dan Duquette definitely had his style, and so does Elias. Phillips was drafted by the Astros in the 6th round in 2012, and Elias loves him some former 'Stros.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Seems like a dumb move. I hope eating this guys salary is not connected to the Mancini deal. 

It’s only $700,000 for 1/2 season so no big deal. But, I see no redeeming quality in this move. Don’t understand why they wouldn’t bring up Stowers. 

The redeeming factor is he will fit right in with Nevin, Odor, Chirinos, and Mateo.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s only $700,000 for 1/2 season so no big deal. But, I see no redeeming quality in this move. Don’t understand why they wouldn’t bring up Stowers. 

The redeeming factor is he will fit right in with Nevin, Odor, Chirinos, and Mateo.

Let's hope so.... with Nevin and Mateo anyway.

Mateo's OPS in the last 30 games is .823 (93 ABs)

Nevin's batting average in the month of July is .320 (25 ABs)

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

Let's hope so.... with Nevin and Mateo anyway.

Mateo's OPS in the last 30 games is .823 (93 ABs)

Nevin's batting average in the month of July is .320 (25 ABs)

I was talking about the .200 batting average club. Mostly being funny this guys bat is awful.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I was talking about the .200 batting average club. Mostly being funny this guys bat is awful.

Yeah... he's like Chris Davis in the Valley of Death awful.

I figured you were joking... but I wanted to give Nevin and Mateo their just due.

Did I read earlier that Phillips was an old Elias signing?

Does he have some kind of "no man left behind" thing for ailing former draft picks?

"It's OK man...  we can fix it...  My dad's a TV repair man... he's got an awesome set of tools"!

48 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

One of those four players has the third most fWAR of Orioles position players.

Edited by Sydnor

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

Yeah... he's like Chris Davis in the Valley of Death awful.

I figured you were joking... but I wanted to give Nevin and Mateo their just due.

Did I read earlier that Phillips was an old Elias signing?

Does he have some kind of "no man left behind" thing for ailing former draft picks?

"It's OK man...  we can fix it...  My dad's a TV repair man... he's got an awesome set of tools"!

Phillips was an Astro's pick in 2012, Elias became scouting director in Houston in 2011, so yea, he's one of The Chosen.

3 minutes ago, 86this said:

My theory, the Orioles claimed Phillips so the Yankees couldn't.  Yankees forced to trade for Bader giving up assets.  Phillips probably DFA'd tomorrow.

Seems like a strange way to spend a bunch of money (not that I'm faulting them for spending), but given how Phillips is playing this season he'd probably do more harm than good on the Yankees (their outfield situation isn't that bad, they just seem to want it better) and thus inversely helping us. Also, Elias' trades make it clear that 2022 is not competing-season for the O's so why spend money on a 5th OF to block someone in your division from picking him up on a team that essentially already has the division locked up.