Hypothetical Solution for Small-Market Teams and Their Ability to Compete

charliec107

With all the talk of a salary cap now, I thought of an alternative (not necessarily better, but I just wanted other opinions on it).

First, the leagues would realign into two equal divisions each. Teams would not switch leagues, just divisions. I will just use the American League as an example

AL EAST - Baltimore, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, New York, Tampa Bay, Toronto

AL WEST - Chicago, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, Texas.

The top four teams in each division qualify for playoffs. The first round is among teams only in the division. Four teams are grouped into a pool and play a round robin. Each team plays the other teams 2 times each. This could be home-away, but due to traveling perhaps it could be held at the site of the highest seed, or at a neutral site. The winner of the pool, wins the division. The division winners than face-off in the standard LCS, and the World Series is conducted the same way with the League Winners.

I feel this would be a good method because a team would only have to be in the top four to go to the playoffs. While it seems like a low standard, it makes it possible to overcome having teams such as New York and Boston in the division. Anything can happen in six games, so I feel the playing field would be leveled between small and big markets. It would also take some strategy with the manager deciding to pitch who against who. Fan interest would last longer as more teams would be in the race for the playoffs.

The cons of this would be, owners would be reluctant to give up home playoff dates and the quality of the playoffs could be perceived as being decreased.

Honestly, this doesn't hurt the big-market teams at all. The more games you add, the less luck comes into play in a playoff situation. Increasing the games from as few as three to a full eight in the first round makes it MORE likely a team with a lot of purchased talent will win.

Don't change the playoffs, change the financial system.

Honestly, this doesn't hurt the big-market teams at all. The more games you add, the less luck comes into play in a playoff situation. Increasing the games from as few as three to a full eight in the first round makes it MORE likely a team with a lot of purchased talent will win.

Don't change the playoffs, change the financial system.

I am not necessarily trying to hurt the big market teams, just give smaller markets a boost. Once you get in any team can get hot. Say its the O's, Yanks, Red Sox, and Tigers. The O's could get hot and beat NY twice, Detroit twice, and split with Boston. 5-1 would at the very least tie for best record.

I agree a financial system change would be a bigger help and is no doubt more likely. I was just trying to throw out a different scenario.

Archived