Heres my TV interview with Kevin Brown..this guy is a star in the making...watch this revealing chat...

Roy Firestone

I still miss Gary Thorne a lot. Same with Joe Angel--like a lot a lot. They were like family to me. Every time the O's win, "And again, the Orioles! In the WIN column!" is played in my mind. 

Kevin Brown has made the Thorne loss not sting so bad, but I still want to cry when I'm forced to listen to the radio broadcast.  Ben McDonald has been terrific, so much better than Bordick.

The Orioles winning has gone a long ways in helping me embrace Kevin Brown.

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Thanks for sharing Roy. A nice interview and you can tell Kevin (like most successful broadcasters I imagine) is putting a lot of care into the craft. 

I tell you what, this sure shows you the difference in quality between professional microphones and a webcam over Zoom. Kevin's voice sounds so much different and less announcery here! 

I agree about the mics. I have been around some high end gear both for recording studios and TV broadcasts (my longest job was purchasing for a public TV network), and how the expensive mics capture the low EQ in voices is a revelation. And some broadcasters still use the old "proximity effect" by getting the mic much closer to the lips and it further enhances the low end. 

Great interview Roy!  We really are lucky to have him at the beginning of his career.  I sincerely hope he is the voice of the O's for the rest of my lifetime but I'm sure he'll have other opportunities in bigger markets and nationally (I know he does work with ESPN already). 

48 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

How many wives are you on now?

I recently (well 31 years ago) decided that the third time was the charm.  She is only on number two so my days might be numbered.  Also, at 78 I got prostate cancer (in remission for now) and the fallout from that “ruined a lot of things”.  Thanks for asking!  😇

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

Ha I always like the pop culture references, especially when he's asking Ben about them and Ben's like, "I have no idea what you're talking about".

Ben had some quote during the July win streak when asked about a TV show where he was like "if it isn't Yellowstone, 1883 or a rerun of Judge Judy I'm probably not watching it." Pure gold. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I recently (well 31 years ago) decided that the third time was the charm.  She is only on number two so my days might be numbered.  Also, at 78 I got prostate cancer (in remission for now) and the fallout from that “ruined a lot of things”.  Thanks for asking!  😇

I am on number 1, and that’s hard enough😫

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, Brown is good.  Most importantly he lets you know what is happening accurately.  Seems like he's toned down the pop-culture references a bit.  Less is more, as they say.

Exactly 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, ledzepp8 said:

Ha I always like the pop culture references, especially when he's asking Ben about them and Ben's like, "I have no idea what you're talking about".

Ha! Best thing about his silly references is Ben’s reactions.

Here’s my reaction to this interview:

1.  Kevin Brown is extremely thoughtful and well prepared.  He’s not a great broadcaster by accident.  
2.  Roy Firestone is extremely thoughtful and well prepared.  He’s not a great interviewer by accident.   

Great job.  

• Upvote 1