Tuesday, August 9 -- Orioles vs Blue Jays

SteveA

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Honestly I don't think the lineups are too bad.    It's the composition of the 26 man roster.

There are people on here that get upset every time the better player gets a day off.    But good managers get rest for their guys.   There are people on here who get upset when a guy in a 3 week slump isn't moved in the order.   But once again, I don't think managers should overreact to short term streaks and move guys up and down that much, longterm track record is more important.

Do I agree with every Hyde lineup?   Of course not.   But a LOT of the criticism on here is constant and way over the top.   

Most of it is directed at playing Odor every day. I agree the composition of the 26-man roster (which has dead weight in Nevin and two 5th outfielders) is a big reason for the lineups, but somebody deserves criticism for Odor being not only on the roster, but it the lineup every day.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Duvall was amazing in that role. I actually can't recall a single role of his that I didn't like his performance. His character in a Civil Action with Travolta is superb.

"Secondhand Lions" is one of my favorite of his. But you are right, he's a fantastic actor.

6 minutes ago, paullwaull said:

Watching this old game during the delay.  I had no clue there were temp bleachers on the flag court at one time.

Only for postseason games.

I sat there for Game 6 of the 1997 ALCS, the last Oriole postseason game for 15 years.   Tony Fernandez's HR landed about 10 feet away from me.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Most of it is directed at playing Odor every day. I agree the composition of the 26-man roster (which has dead weight in Nevin and two 5th outfielders) is a big reason for the lineups, but somebody deserves criticism for Odor being not only on the roster, but it the lineup every day.

Furthermore it's not exactly a surprise Odor is hitting this poorly, so why is the front office sticking with him when there are viable other options to play 2B. 

There's no way Hyde was watching Vavra play daily in Norfolk. So either the internal scouting report given to Hyde about Vavra said below avg defense at 2b, or someone else is involved. That said, I don't think Elias is telling Hyde who to play daily, and Hyde probably does prefer "his" guys and value veteranosity  

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just saw Apocalypse Now (Director's cut) on Netflix for the first time ever about two months ago. Trippy movie to say the least. Definitely strange. Can't say it was bad, just definitely not a typical Vietnam movie.

I do think that  Lt. Colonel Kilgore (Robert Duvall) was criminally underused!

Charlie don’t surf!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Only for postseason games.

I sat there for Game 6 of the 1997 ALCS, the last Oriole postseason game for 15 years.   Tony Fernandez's HR landed about 10 feet away from me.

I guess it's old then, they def weren't there in 2014, although that would have been nice.  Those SRO sections are kinda worthless for game watching when it's a sold out crowd.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Furthermore it's not exactly a surprise Odor is hitting this poorly, so why is the front office sticking with him when there are viable other options to play 2B. 

Because the clubhouse leader talk gives them cover to execute (or, not) their restraint while looking competitive. 

That’s my best conspiracy theory for the inner workings of the Warehouse.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Grounds crew coming out to take off tarp!

Popped in to see what the OH crew knows about the delay.  
Get to this post.    
Read this post.  

Look up (with wonderful John Miller’s voice in the background)….and oh look at that.   The tarp is off.