Jordan Lyles 2023?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How did he do in those two starts?

Well first of all, he easily completed 3 innings, so that’s the first false point of yours out of the way.

Secondly, his last start was ok..not great.  His 4 batters were poor and he settled in fine after that.  Lots of Ks, one walk…64% str%.

The start before that one was poor.  Overall, since they had off from the break, he has struggled.  He was dominating before the break.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, he easily completed 3 innings, so that’s the first false point of yours out of the way.

Secondly, his last start was ok..not great.  His 4 batters were poor and he settled in fine after that.  Lots of Ks, one walk…64% str%.

The start before that one was poor.  Overall, since they had off from the break, he has struggled.  He was dominating before the break.

He was dominating for 4 games, let's ignore the other 16

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

What will 1 yr/ $11 million get you in the '23 free agent market?

This is a minor point but it drives me crazy anyway.

Lyles option is for $11M with a $1M buyout. Thus, the cost of keeping Lyles, or the comparative cost of replacing him is not $11M, it is $10M.

Thanks for indulging me.

• Upvote 1

It’s a good question with regard to Lyles, but honestly I think you can extend the query to each of the members of the current rotation. 

We’ve got a 5-man group taking the ball for us at this point, and I think the general consensus (or at least a significant portion of the folks here) would like to see all of them replaced in the rotation by midseason next year. If we bring in two outside starters, that will leave us with something like Outside Starter X, Outside Starter Y, Means, GrayRod, and Wells/Hall as the ideal group heading into the latter part of 2023. 

Obviously, pitching injuries and attrition being what they are, you can’t count on having the “ideal” group in place. But in terms of gaming out the best-case scenario, that would leave us in a position where we have to figure out what to do with each of the following:

Jordan Lyles

Kyle Bradish

Dean Kremer

Spenser Watkins

Austin Voth

Tyler Wells? (if Hall is going to get a rotation shot)

I will say, thinking through this possibility does make me even more comfortable with the Lopez trade. Several of these guys have been better as starters than Lopez ever was — if their stuff plays up out of the bullpen like his did, we may have another relief ace or two to take into account. It does also make me wonder if we really need two outside starters. Perhaps one trade for a starter, accompanied by dropping some FA money on a lineup upgrade (Josh Bell?), would be the more optimal approach.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d re-sign him. $11 million on a one year deal isn’t crazy.  At worst he’s Cashner. At best he’s what he is this year. We need depth. I don’t see us going crazy on long term deals for pitching. 

I would do this as well and then sign someone better as a FA too. My reason is Means isn't likely to be up to ML before ASB or so, so Lyles for half year, trade for whatever at deadline, replaced by Means in second half