Pathetic.

Moose Milligan

5 hours ago, Fuzzball22 said:

We should never pitch to Arozarena. This guy kills us year after year like nobody i remember. Yes there have been guys who did well against us in a given year but this guy is doing it every year.  

Judge?   Grichuk?

Arazrena has only been in the league since partway through 2020.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So you’re agreeing that they didn’t give themselves their best possible chance to win today?

I agree that Vavra should have started somewhere.  We got beat by a pitcher who was on his game.   The biggest problem with this offense right now is Hayes and Mountcastle are giving us nothing and Mountcastle got hit in the hand last night.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree that Vavra should have started somewhere.  We got beat by a pitcher who was on his game.   The biggest problem with this offense right now is Hayes and Mountcastle are giving us nothing and Mountcastle got hit in the hand last night.  

Elias knows the lineup is a problem too with his focus on drafting hitters who have a more discerning approach at the plate. As opposed to hitters like Hays and Mountcastle who hack at every pitch which works out great when they're hot, but you have to deal with valleys in addition to the peaks with their offense. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Partially, but that’s not all I wrote. But if you’re cool with Vavra on the bench that’s fine. 

I mean I would have preferred Vavra starting too, but I didn't know Mountcastle was hurt until three seconds ago, so I figure they probably have their reasons.

And in light of Mountcastle's injury, (and the trade of Mancini, which everybody was happy with two weeks ago), it's literally the only difference between their regular lineup so the angst doesn't make much sense.

I mean they literally started their top 7 guys, and one guy was dinged up and one guy's been traded.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The biggest problem with the offense right now is we have guys in the lineup that shouldn't even be on the team.  

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I mean I would have preferred Vavra starting too, but I didn't know Mountcastle was hurt until three seconds ago, so I figure they probably have their reasons.

And in light of Mountcastle's injury, (and the trade of Mancini, which everybody was happy with two weeks ago), it's literally the only difference between their regular lineup so the angst doesn't make much sense.

I mean they literally started their top 7 guys, and one guy was dinged up and one guy's been traded.

Ok. 

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No. That’s not how it works. 

I get that you can’t trot the A lineup out there every day and that Sundays typically are the day in which you put out the B lineup. That’s understood. 

But today, on a day where they actually needed to win a game that could have playoff implications, they should have made an exception. 

You can’t tell me they put their best lineup on the field today.  You can’t tell me that Odor batting 5th was a good idea. You can’t tell me that Vavra on the bench made sense.  He’s probably the guy with the best approach on the team outside of Rutschman and he’s only been here like two weeks.  

You can’t tell me that it’s STILL A GOOD IDEA TO PITCH TO AROZARENA WITH RUNNERS ON BASE.  His career average against the Orioles is .400.  He’s 1941 Ted Williams against us and we STILL pitch to him.  What’s next, pitching to Judge when we play the Yankees next?

Dude, I said it in the OP which you either didn’t read or didn’t comprehend.  Some days you get beat.  Some days you run into a pitcher that’s throwing the game of his life.  It happens.

But you can’t tell me that this team did everything it could to win this game today; the lineup, Arozarena, yeah man, it was pathetic.

And they played a pretty pedestrian lineup the day before as well. 

Just not a playoff contender, and if the front office really  had wanted to go for it, DL Hall would not have been given a start, and Gunnar Henderson would be starting in the infield, and  somebody anybody taking Nevin and Phillips roster spots. Clearly Elias is content to punt on 2022 and go for it (hopefully) in 2023

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be happy if the team plays .500 the rest of the season or even finishes .500 or better. This is a team lost 110 games last year. 

The 1989 Orioles improved by 32.5 games.  I think I can count all the teams in the history of MLB who've improved by 30+ games on one hand.  1890 Louisvilles who have a massive asterisk, the 1936 Braves... I'm already running out of teams.  Neither the '69 Miracle Mets nor the '14 Miracle Braves improved by 30 wins.

If the O's go .500 the rest of the way they win 83 games and improve by 31 wins.  Certainly one of the top 10 year-to-year improvements in history, maybe top five.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 1989 Orioles improved by 32.5 games.  I think I can count all the teams in the history of MLB who've improved by 30+ games in one hand.  1890 Louisvilles who have a massive asterisk, the 1936 Braves... I'm already running out of teams.  Neither the '69 Miracle Mets nor the '14 Miracle Braves improved by 30 wins.

If the O's go .500 the rest of the way they win 83 games and improve by 31 wins.  Certainly one of the top 10 year-to-year improvements in history, maybe top five.

The SF Giants in 2021 won 78 more games than they did the previous year!  Wonder if that is an all time record!!!?!?!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well yeah, because it’s the day they don’t put their A lineup out there. 

I mean, it’s about as much of a must win game as there can be in August due to the tiebreaker implications. No Vavra? Phillips and Nevin? C’mon. 

I have never understood, not once, the purpose of keeping Nevin on the roster this long.