Wednesday afternoon August 17: Orioles try to sweep their way back into wild card position

SteveA

I started the game two hours late, so I'm still really early in the game. But I remember seeing their catcher Kirk the other day and my original thought was "Wow, this guy seems to be the stereotype of what catchers were in our sandlot before we started league play", ie. short and kind of dumpy. And then I looked up his stats and I realize A) he's a strong hitter and B ) I'm only 10lbs less than him and maybe an inch taller. So I'm looking at the current me when I see him play ball! Of course, I'm almost 61 and I imagine he'd roll me and fold me like a cheap suitcase  in two minutes if we met in an alley. 

Edited by NashLumber

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Jorge Lopez might have been a useful guy in this series.

I don't think a reasonable person would argue that Mancini and Lopez don't provide value this season. But when you look at our lineup today and on the Saturday against Tampa--i.e. huge games--and you see guys like Chirinos, Phillips, Odor, Nevin, and McKenna getting slotted in there, it's painfully obvious this team isn't seriously competing. So if we can get back three top-15 prospects for a team that isn't going anywhere anyway, then it's a move worth making.

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

I started the game two hours late, so I'm still really early in the game. But I remember seeing their catcher Kirk the other day and my original thought was "Wow, this guy seems to be the stereotype of what catchers were in our sandlot before we started league play", ie. short and kind of dumpy. And then I looked up his stats and I realize A) he's a strong hitter and B ) I'm only 10lbs less than him and maybe an inch taller. So I'm looking at the current me when I see him play ball! Of course, I'm almost 61 and I imagine he'd roll me in two minutes if we met in an alley. 

Félix Bautista is 190 pounds.

For those still at work or whatever and still care about what's happening, the ball came right back to Pop and knocked his glove off and allowed Vavra to score and the runner at 2nd to move to third, as it just sat in the infield after the deflection. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I would be shocked if it were 75% RS fans. 

If it is, no one can say that this is a great baseball town. It’s one thing if we were out of it, but we’re in the thick of it. There’s no excuse for this weekend to not be a sea of orange. 

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

If it is, no one can say that this is a great baseball town. It’s one thing if we were out of it, but we’re in the thick of it. There’s no excuse for this weekend to not be a sea of orange. 

I did realize the Sunday game is the little league game but still 2hrs from Baltimore. Just wonder how many tix were sold earlier in the season.